1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I keep falling back to living "straightly"

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by alTO, Sep 21, 2012.

1. alTO

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hey everyone,

I feel like I'm making no progress. For as long as I can remember I've been unsure about my sexuality but have always "lived" straight. When I started university over five years ago I became friends with many people who I feel are probably bi (at least) but who don't claim to be anything other than straight.

I've never had a real relationship because of this uncertainty, but the closest thing would be my best friend from university. We always caught movies and grabbed dinner. We would always cuddle during the movies and on a couple occasions after drinking a lot we shared a bed. (Nothing further happened, but I know we both liked it.) But we never discussed anything and talked as though we were straight friends. After about five years of the closest thing I've ever had to a relationship and probably the closest friend I've had, he went back to Taiwan to be with his family indefinitely.

I feel too weak to find any other sort of relationship. Out of instinct I continually try to start straight relationships while at the same time knowing they're doomed to fail. (I have a date with a girl tomorrow, in fact.) I'm 25 and haven't yet even experienced a real relationship. It makes me pretty sad thinking about it.

I'm not even sure what my question is, but can anyone else identify with this? Maybe I need therapy or something. I just feel I never make any progress at all.

2. LionsAndShadows

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The first step doesn’t involve another person, just you. You are unsure about your sexuality and you’re “questioning”. Only you can answer that question. The fact that you say your straight relationships are always doomed to fail implies that you are not straight – in fact it implies you are not truly attracted to women. What would a “real relationship” look like? Would it be with a man?

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess I'd ask you to state clearly, to yourself, what you want.

Are you pretty sure you're gay? Do you want to come out?
    Do you want to hook up with a guy?
    Do you want to date a guy?

All of those are possible, but very few of them of just sort of "happen". You'll have to take some steps to make them happen. :slight_smile:

Lex

4. alTO

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thanks for the replies.

Lexington, I'm honestly not sure how to answer your questions. I'm quite sure I'm not totally straight, but that's all I know. When I wrote the above post I was feeling a little depressed about the whole situation (which happens frequently). I find in terms of guys I'm attracted to it's usually the ones that don't "act gay" but for whatever reason I believe (and sometimes know) are that way. Of course, these friends are usually not open so apart from longer-than-normal contact/cuddling in theatres and such, it never goes anywhere and we never speak of it afterward. It's after those times that I feel especially miserable.

As for girls, I do find certain ones attractive too (usually the cute/smart type), but I perhaps don't usually get the same "arousal," if you will. There are times though that I just can't take my eyes off a girl. This honestly drives me crazy. I'm don't even know what I want.

Oh, and just by the way, over the summer I did briefly try starting a relationship with a guy. I'm completely closeted but met one online and another through a friend (long story). The first was a failure. The second I still consider a friend but I couldn't advance it past that...it just felt empty. I also found myself increasingly attracted to girls while "dating" this guy or whatever. Or it's possible I just craved a straight/universally-accepted relationship, but I don't think it was just that.

Is it weird that I'm so confused?

5. LionsAndShadows

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Its not weird at all. And its good you’re “talking” about it.

It seems to me that, for now at least, you should accept that you are bisexual. But it also sounds like you have some issues with the homosexual aspect of your orientation. If you want to experience a fulfilling relationship with another guy you will need to deal with those issues first.

Its extremely common for gay and bisexual men who are outwardly entirely non-homophobic to experience very deeply a sense of “self-homophobia”. You might be completely happy to accept that another guy is bi or gay, but you struggle to accept that aspect of your own nature.

One of the struggles I think all of us go through when we are young is getting used to the fact that our relationships are not going to be “straight/universally-accepted”. That can be very frightening, especially if you come from a culture that doesn’t readily embrace alternatives. At some point though, we just have to accept that reality if we are going to find a fulfilling relationship.

Does any of this make sense for your situation?

6. alTO

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thanks, malcstep. Your post makes a lot of sense. I have no problem with other people being gay but feel very resistant to going that route myself. I think part of it too it that I'm very self-conscious and worry what others would think of me. I can't seem to get over that. I know most people I know suspect nothing and would be shocked.

By the way, you mentioned that the culture could make it more difficult. I live in Toronto which is probably one of the most gay-friendly cities around. That being said, it's certainly not universally accepted. I was with some of my coworkers a few weeks back and happened to walk through the gay village on our way to something. They all seemed pretty uneasy and made mildly homophobic remarks. These are all young guys too (early 20s) so it was a little unsettling.

I'm not sure what I can even do deal with this deep-down aversion to being this way myself. I just don't know.

7. LionsAndShadows

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    “I'm very self-conscious and worry what others would think of me. I can't seem to get over that. I know most people I know suspect nothing and would be shocked.”

Even though I’d accepted for myself the label “gay” when I was twenty-one, I was still in exactly the same place as you when I was twenty-five. I still had a long way to go before I came out as gay to my family and friends.

Like you, although there were still some mildly homophobic people in my social circle, it was really only mild. And in general, like the rest of society, they were beginning to express more openness to difference.

Slowly I realized that my family’s and friend’s homophobia wasn’t the real issue. It was my own homophobia – my fear of myself being identified as gay by others. There is so much inertia in life – we set out on a route of denying our identity to others and it becomes just how it is. It seems easier that way… just to stick to the same route.

But, its so corrosive because it prevents you from being whole in the eyes of the world. They see a you that isn’t you. Not fully anyway. And, lets face it, you want to meet a guy and celebrate a relationship just like the straight guys do.

But inertia is incredible difficult to arrest. To stop the fly-wheel of deceit or repression is a huge challenge and the longer it goes on, the more inertia it gathers.

For me, quite out of the blue and perhaps influenced by a whole load of circumstances, over the course of a couple of weeks I just knew I was going to come out. I simply had to. I couldn’t stand it anymore.

And when I did… you know what? Almost everyone – and ALL of those that really mattered to me were completely supportive and proud of me.

8. alTO

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    You write so well and seem to completely understand my situation. I definitely have a fear of being perceived as gay and that that perception would be what defines me to them. I think this probably would happen to a degree, which I am uncomfortable with. I wish people didn't care so much about that stuff.

I really appreciate your insight and stories from your experience, malcstep. I'm still not sure what to do next, but I'll definitely give this all a lot of thought.

9. LionsAndShadows

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You need to first accept yourself for who you are. That might be bisexual or it might be gay or, yes, you might actually be straight. Before coming out as one thing or another it’s worth taking the time to understand where you stand on that spectrum and get used to it.

In working that out it’s worth keeping in mind that gay (or the homosexual aspect of bisexual) desire isn’t only about sexual feelings for other guys. As a gay man I am indeed physically and sexually attracted to other guys, but I have been aware from my early teens that my romantic and emotional needs – my understanding of love if you will – are also homocentric. I say this because I feel there is almost always too much emphasis on the sexual/physical aspects of homosexual desire and far too little on its romantic and emotional aspects. That’s probably because men are crap at talking about those kinds of things, even if we feel them very deeply.

Also, keep in mind that once you settle along the spectrum you wont have changed a whole lot about you. You will still be you. All that will have happened is that you have learned to accept a small (but very important) aspect of who you are. Sexual orientation is only one element of what makes us us. You are right, people put far to much emphasis on it as a definition of who we are.

Gay men and women exist in every culture and on every continent and they have done so throughout recorded history. They are as varied as is the balance of the population.

10. Hsj22

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Just wanted to say that I can totally relate to your situation. The fact that I'm questioning myself is preventing me from feeling attraction towards other people of either gender. Even as a child, I never fantasized about boys or had crushes. It used to annoy me because all the other girls wouldn't shut up about the boys they liked, I was definitely the odd one out.

Now-a-days, I'm aware of people who I think are cute/attractive, but I never seem to want more, or I'll prevent myself of developing feelings because of how I'm confused and questioning. It's like I brainwash myself to think that it just wont work so why bother trying.

Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone in how you feel.

11. LionsAndShadows

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    aITO & Hsj22

I don’t want to hog this thread, and I hardly feel qualified to advise either of you. But it sounds like both of you are hung up a bit on the sex part of sexuality.

Lets forget physical sex for a while. If you could just imagine for a while a deep, romantic, loving friendship with someone that would not involve sexual intimacy, would that work for you?

12. alTO

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Sorry for the extremely delayed response and thanks so much for the replies.

Hsj22, what you describe is exactly how I feel. Lately I've been tried actually starting relationships with girls and guys, but neither seem to last because I'm not sure which feels "right."

malcstep, I really appreciate all your replies. Regarding what you said two posts ago, I think I lack emotional attraction to guys. I don't know why - it could be that "self-homophobia" you talked about. I did feel an emotional connection to my friend from Taiwan I mentioned earlier, but that formed over the years of our "straight" friendship.

As for your last post, you are absolutely right that I am hung up on the sexual part. I suppose a "romantic, loving friendship" not involving sexual intimacy could work, but I'm doubting it would. Shouldn't healthy relationships involve physical attraction and ultimately sexual intimacy?

I think for guys I'm missing part of the emotional attraction, but I'm not sure why. I could just be blocking it because of my discomfort with gay relationships involving me. I really don't know. For girls I have the emotional attraction and do notice cute girls, but am afraid I'm not attracted enough. (This would be where the hangup on the sex part comes in.)

I really wish this was all so much easier.