1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gsa

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Geist, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Geist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    As of right now my school has no GSA which when i was dealing with understanding and accpting my own sexuality would have been very helpful. Now i am concidering actually working to help form a GSA at my highschool. The problem is that my school is very mormon (They are very religous and belive that homosexuality is immoral) and i really don't know of any other gay people who go to my highschool. I have some straight friends who would be willing to help me start one.

My school used to have a GSA when i was in my Freshman year but for one reason or another it no longer exists. Our school does have somthing called Spectrum that doesn't say that it is specificaly for those issues but it does say that it is a group against the discrimination of others and sexual orientation is listed but to be perfectly honest i have heard nothing about this group and there are no posters or anything that tell when this group meets or even if they still exist. :tantrum: I am taking classes outside of highschool so while i am still enrolled i don't really spend much time there anymore and so i can't really ask around to find out about this group. It is possible that Spectrum is now being used like a GSA without anouncing it, but as i have said before i don't really know. :confused:

I will try to find out more about Spectrum but if it either no longer exists or isn't at all used for that purpose then I will try to form a GSA but i am not sure if it would even be possible to do somthing like this under the radar and without anouncing my own sexuality. And if i am not sure if a GSA could even survive in such a hostile enviroment or if it is probably doomed to fail.

2. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe you should try checking out the already existing club if it still exists and see what that's all about. If it's not what you're looking for, consider starting a GSA with your friends that are willing to help. I know what it's like to live in a town with a bunch of Mormons, it makes you feel so unwanted. Heh....

3. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan Guest

Silly Mormons. Maybe some day they'll realize their insistence on living grounded in mid-19th century "values" is a little behind the times.

Regardless, I say you should do what you can do start a fresh new GSA, as long as it seems (mathematically) viable/sustainable and it doesn't take too much of your own personal time in the process, since you sound like you're awfully busy. If the school is "very Mormon" as you say, then this would be a great way to defy the dangerous conservatism they've been brought up with, and in the process you'll be providing a friendly door into the "real" world for those LGBT students who might otherwise feel alone, unwanted, or completely ostracized.

(&&&) The phrase "strength in numbers" still holds true to this day, so if you really are thinking of starting up such a group, more power to you! (&&&)

4. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That sounds like a great idea!! I could do with a GSA where I am, but no..about half my school is homophobic and I don't want to be branded a freak, and I'm too scared to come out so no GSA for me...

5. Geist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    After giving it some thought i think i am going to start a GSA at my high school, but unfortunitally i really don't know much about GSAs and could really use some advice about how to start a club, finding people to join, and really how to run. As far as i know i am the only Gay person at my school but i am very certain that there must be some other gay people at my school that arn't mormon and willing to join a GSA. If anyone knows somthing about GSAs or just starting clubs i could really use the help. :help: :help: :help:

6. pirateninja

I don't want to rain on your parade, but be warned if the heads/governing body of the school don't want a GSA, be prepared for a long hard slog. Finding legal stuff regarding this, getting support from staff and students, and even then your superiors could still come up with petty excuses. I'm only saying because I'm in an ongoing battle about a GSA at my school. Be prepared for a lot of work into this, good luck!