1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you handle being single?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by everett, Sep 23, 2012.

1. everett

I am curious to see how others handle being single.
    Do you feel free? Do you wish you were with someone? Do you wait for them, or do you go looking?

For me I try not think about it at times and just hope I'll meet up with a person some day.

2. Route466

Route466 Guest

I tried online dating for two summers and came up short. When I decided just to look for new friends, it took less than two weeks for the guy I was waiting for to find me.

For the most part, I loved being single. It was fun getting to do things without feeling like I owed somebody an explanation or apology. I didn't feel obligated to anybody or anything, and that was refreshing.

However, I can honestly say there is no feeling in the world that compares to coming home from a long day of work knowing somebody will be there waiting for you.

3. Gen

Gen

I'm about like you. I dont feel "free" because I dont feel that a relationship is something where you cant feel free and comfortable in.

It would be nice to have a cuddle buddy, but I'm content where I am at the moment.

4. I guess.

Yes to the first one. If I know I like someone, and know they're single and are attracted to my sex, I usually go after them and see if everything works out.

You are not alone. (*hug*)

5. everett

(*hug*)

The feedback I see so far is great guys. And I very much agree, online dating seems all fancy, but it can never make for the flesh and in the person.

6. Branconegro

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Sometimes I enjoy the fact I´m single(most of the part, I do), sometimes, I don´t.

These last days i was feeling very sad about the fact I´m still in the closet. Most of the times I don´t look anyone to hook up, because of the fear of falling in love. I still don´t know how it would be for me to handle a future/possible boyfriend in the closet. Is something that gets me tired/anxious/sad just to think about it. And the worst things is that I know that I´ll be regret in the future about it.

7. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I'm pretty content being single at the moment, but having experienced it, I can't deny that having someone to make out with and talk about our feelings with can be pretty spectacular. I'm not exactly actively pursuing dating right now, but if an opportunity presents itself that might turn into an opportunity to date, I do pursue it. I used to be way more of a waiter than I am now, and not only was that not getting me a guy, but it made me feel like the who thing was out of my control. At least by pursuing prospects that look hopeful, I can feel like I'm at least somewhat in control.

So much this. Maybe it's because I'm not the swinger type, but I've never understood why being "tied down" is considered synonymous with being in a relationship. Why can't we be two independent adults whose identities are entirely separate from the other person but who also feel a deep connection with each other, make love from time to time, and cuddle just as often, if not more? That's what I want.

8. hiddenaudacity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    It can be so hard sometimes :tears:

Usually I don't really notice or think about it, but I've been down about it for about a week now. I think that being single I clung to my younger sister and shared with her all my thoughts, events of the day and we would watch tv together and eat meals together. But she's leaving in a couple of days and I think it's only just dawning on me...feelings of "aloneness".

I mean I have a lot of friends but there really is an emotional void that good friends just can't fill.

It's actually a strange feeling. It's like I want to be with someone...but there's no one I know of that I want to be with. I feel...not empty but...weird. Unsettled. :icon_sad:

As for how I cope? Well...I just try to distract myself for the most of it -.- Spending as much time as I can with friends...

9. Aniot

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That's a very strange question to me. Some days I wake up and think that I wanna have a boyfriend or a girlfriend and have a long lasting relationship. But I never had a bf or gf and i love to live free without someone to follow me or that have to know where am I or with who, and then I think that my friends are enought. But sometimes i really feel the need for someone to give me some love and to feel loved no matter what.

For me it is so natural to be single that the most of the time I really don't care, unless when I'm thinking about it or when I'm around some couples.

10. Connor22

ice cream and cats.

11. MichaelB

I like being single.. >.>

Then again, I've not known much else. But I certainly don't sit around thinking 'I wish I had a boyfriend'.. no, I more think 'well I can do x and y activites without thinking x person would get angry over it' :grin:

12. Epipleptic

Patiently. I know it's just not the right time for me to have one. It's true, but it's cold comfort. I'm past the point where I can just lie and say, "I don't need one" to present strength and independence. In the meantime I follow two pieces of advice which are, "just focus on yourself" and the admittedly shallow, "improve yourself to be a person people would want to date."

13. parka

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    In a way i hate being single but at the same time i love being able to do my own thing. I know that my turn will come and i'll meet someone special but until then i'm just going to enjoy being single.

14. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I haven't been handling it very well lately. There are periods of time when I tell myself that I'm going to end up alone and have come to accept that fact. I just tell myself that life will be easier by myself without having to worry about how someone else is going to hurt me. Then there are periods of time when it's the exact opposite. I want a girlfriend so bad, and I feel super lonely. I feel like I can't keep going like this (being alone), and I crave a connection like crazy.

I've been hurt really badly before by someone I was in love with. This made me distrustful of people and afraid of getting close/attached to them. So, I became reclusive and a loner. I'm too scared to even make friends. At the same time, I want to be able to let someone in. It's tiring living in my own head and having no one to talk to. I just don't know how to go about making connections.

And it doesn't help that I keep having dreams lately that I have a girlfriend :icon_redf I'm always so happy/excited in my dreams and everything feels amazing...until I wake up and realize it was just a dream. Then for that whole day, I keep thinking about the dream, which makes me want a girlfriend even more. I want to feel in real life what I did in my dreams.

15. andersonh09

andersonh09 Guest

I'm quite content being single right now. Honestly I don't really have an interested in having a relationship. Sometimes it would be nice to have someone to talk to and cuddle with, but for now, I come and go to much.

16. starfish

17. th3wallflow3r

I think I just miss contact.
    cuddling and hand holding in particular.

18. sunnii

Cause ive never been in a relationship or even a date, I just want that feeling of someone wanting to spend time with me and for someone to be attracted to me. That's one of (if not THE) main reasons why I do NOT like being single

19. Mai Hasegawa

I pour milk all over myself and cry naked in the bathroom with lights off.

20. MusicIsLife

Not to pull a Brian Kinney (ha ha) but I don't "do" relationships. I've been in exactly 4 relationships (I'm on the fourth now) and I always felt trapped and frustrated. One of my biggest pet peeves is being nagged over stupid shit, or people who are complete morons.

I was never really "happy" except for the first week or so, then got bored of them. The girl I'm sort of seeing right now--we've had one date and I like her, but I don't know if I would want to try a relationship again.

I prefer being with myself, there's no one to harass me. If I had all the supplies I needed, I'd probably never leave my house, and I have no problem with that.