1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jim Parsons at the Emmys

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Messed Up, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Messed Up

Messed Up Guest

My family and I have been big fans of “The Big Bang Theory” since it debuted, even before it became the colossal hit it is now. I have also known for some time now that Sheldon, played by Jim Parsons, is gay. I have kept this a secret from my family because I knew if they found out they’d stop watching. Of course, Jim has come out publicly recently and dad said “Isn’t he gay?” when we saw him on the red carpet for tonight’s Emmys. I said, “Yes, he is” and mom said “NO! Look, he has a girlfriend!”. I said, “No, he’s engaged to get married...to his soon-to-be husband”. And mom REFUSED to accept it and said “NO!”.

I asked “So, what? You’re not going to watch him anymore?” and she said, “No! I won’t support him any more. I hope he doesn’t win!” and I was furious! Not because I’m LGBTQ but because mom didn’t want him to win all of a sudden because she just found out he’s gay! I have NEVER been so ashamed and disappointed in my mother. I hurt so much. I don’t know what to do or how to feel.

We started arguing about the Bible and you can never beat me in a battle about the Bible ( haha :wink: ) but it bothered me so much. I can’t believe my mom doesn’t want to support someone she used to like now that she found out he’s “different”.

What will happen when she finds out about someone she’s loved since he was born? Me?

2. Caudex

Caudex Guest

Wow, that sounds extreme. I would just not tell her yet. I'm in the same position. I'm going to wait until I'm out of college, since I'll be paying for grad school if I go there, and then I'll tell them. If they are furious, they'll be lonely at the nursing home. Simple as that.

3. Messed Up

Messed Up Guest

LOL at the nursing home thing.

If I become a lawyer like I know they’d love (but I don’t know how happy I would be) I am marrying the first hot guy that comes my way! Sacrificing two aspects of my life, no. But, all joking aside, we rehashed this again. And I LOVE my mom but I have NEVER been so ashamed of her...it hurts. Now, I feel more alone than usual.

---------- Post added 23rd Sep 2012 at 07:01 PM ----------

And to add insult to injury, Jim didn’t win (which was a shock considering he usually does), like she wanted.

4. 55

I'm not encouraging you to come out until you're ready, but I know some of the people I've told have reexamined their beliefs because now they have a personal relationship with a gay person. It's amazing what a change of perspecitve that can precipitate. Growth.

5. Caudex

Caudex Guest

Well, I guess if you love her that much, it is possible to reform people, though it is hard. I know a friend who changed his views a while ago, realizing that his parents' indoctrination was not right. Although adults are usually more settled in their opinions, there is nothing better than seeing someone homophobic realize the truth (Actually, there are a lot of things, like ice cream with sprinkles, but that's beside the point). Just be prepared for the worst likely scenario. Not the worst possible scenario, like her excommunicating you. I'd say the worst likely scenario is her not paying for college. Why? Because my parents have told us that they wouldn't pay for college for any gay children of theirs. I wish you the best of luck!