1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Real advice? Others generally say "only you can figure it out for yourself"

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by O_Negative, Sep 24, 2012.

1. O_Negative

Referring to the title: that drives me insane! Ive even talked to my friend/president of my schools GSA and thats what she told me. I need some kind of real input here...so I'm hoping maybe someone here can give me a hand. I am going to copy and paste what I put in my introduction thread here because it pretty much explains what I'm dealing with.

Intro:

Hello forum. I found this site after doing some...personal research I guess?

Hm. So...my story I guess. Its not quite as dramatic as others though...its in its early stages...so there definitely could be some drama in there in the future. I am 20 (for the next month =P) and I am a senior in college. I have plenty of friends who are in the LBGTQ spectrum and have always supported them. This past summer, boyfriend number two and I broke up. It was mutual and not very difficult, but then it dawned on me shortly after that I had a massive crush on my friend, who happened to be female (I am female assigned). Id always thought certain girls and women were attractive, but I'd never before had the urge to kiss one until she came along. I did tell her (it didnt seem right not to) and she was only supportive and flattered, but a bit saddened for me because she's straight. (Bummer right?) So I've sort of begun coming to terms with that...I don't know what I identify as but I'm pretty sure I'd no longer use "straight"...who knows? I figured I'd let that pan out and I'm happy with that plan.

As for gender...thats new. I recently (in the past couple months) learned the term "gender fluid", and since then I have been sort of researching it, because nearly everything I have read points to that being what I am. I had never considered being anything but female and the concept is new, so I am very unsure what exactly I am. I do crossdress occasionally and get very irritated when I'm having a day where I feel more male, but my boobs are just too damn big and won't flatten out. I am definitely not trans* because I undoubtedly have days where I dress up girly and wear makeup and such, but there are other days where I feel like "holy crap why do I have boobs...why do I own makeup.." and its frustrating. I've now gone so far as to begin looking for a name to give my male side?

My issue is I dont know if this is a comformity thing...I belong to the GSA at my college (largest club on campus XD) and have always been supportive of that community, but now I'm trying to figure out if I am bored being a straight cis-girl or if this really is me? Its an odd feeling, being unsure what you yourself are thinking.

So...that's me. As I said before, I am working on a name that I like. For now I guess call me NI for my username.

Thanks for reading!

[/intro]

So I would like to talk, perhaps, so a few people who have dealt with similar things? Perhaps someone who DOES identify as gender fluid? Thank you for reading <3

2. J Snow

Hi, NI. Welcome to EC =)

I unfortunately don't identify as genderfluid, I identify as transsexual. However, I do know at least one genderfluid individual in person who attends a transgender support group I am a member of.

From what you described genderfluid does seem congruent with your desired gender expression. If you want to be masculine one day and feminine the next, go for it. What's to stop you.

If you want to dress masculine and take on a male name sometimes, who cares why you want to? The point is that you want to. And if it makes you happy then don't worry about it.

I would say that you should at least experiment with this identity. If you feel comfortable and are feeling masculine then ask the members of your GSA to use a male name. It doesn't have to permanent one. You can always change it down the road =)

3. O_Negative

J Snow: Thank you for the input! I really appreciate it.
    As far as my name...I am just very picky about names hehe. When I choose one, it'll be pretty permanent (at least for the male side)...my given name is still going to be used otherwise. I just don't want to introduce myself properly until I've decided what name I want to go by.

Thanks for the input on identity. I do not have a problem binding and acting more male on days it seems appropriate, but I still am not sure whats going on in my head and its something I would like to figure out. I am mildly worried, too, because there are at least 3 FtM's in my GSA and I lived close to/became friends with two of them last year...I dont want them to feel like im trying to copy them or something? I dont know...it feels kind of awkward...

4. J Snow

Perhaps if it makes you feel more comfortable you should talk to you your transgender friends about how they feel before opening up the the whole GSA. However, at the end of the day its your gender identity and its about how you feel most comfortable expressing yourself. If they are your friends they should accept that. They may even be excited to see that you can relate to them better to some extent now. Besides, its not like you are even directly taking on their identity of transsexual, but instead genderfluid. I don't think your friends will mind.

5. Ianthe

Just come out to them--tell them how you feel. They would be good people to talk to.

It seems like "straight cisgirl" is probably not right. You definitely seem to be queer. So, you could always just start there.

If you are going to want people to call you by two different names, you might need to have something that really clearly signals which you want them to use when. Even if it seems obvious to you, it might not to other people unless the difference is really dramatic.

It can also make it frustrating for people when they want to talk about you and you aren't present--which name do they use when mentioning you to others? Do they use both, and have to explain that you are not two different people? Do they act as if you ARE two different people? Do they choose just one name to refer to you, and then have to backtrack and explain when they actually introduce you to someone? When you are introduced to someone for the first time, do you want both of your genders to be introduced, or just the one you are presenting at the time?

These are just some things to think about. There is nothing wrong with being gender fluid, but there are some ways that it can have a practical impact on other people.

6. O_Negative

Thank you. I may do that. Thanks for the advice =)

---------- Post added 24th Sep 2012 at 11:10 AM ----------

Ianthe: Sorry, we posted at the same time!

Thank you for the input...those are some things I have not yet considered. I will think about them...I need to figure things out in my own head first...as far as using the words "straight cis girl" I mean that is how I currently identify to most people, and how I have previously identified.

7. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know that when I was first figuring out my gender identity, I just went with the flow. If I felt more feminine (which is rare for me) I dressed more feminine. If I felt more masculine, I dressed and acted more masculine. I also have times where I feel like I am in the middle of male and female.

I would definitely talk to your transgender friends. They might be able to help you sort out your feelings.

Another option for the name situation is to choose a gender neutral name. That way people don't get confused by calling you different names at different times.

8. O_Negative

thecat: thank you. I am kind of doing that now? I have Lambda (GSA) tonight and may try talking to a couple people. As far as the name...as much as it'd be simpler to have a gender neutral name...I do LIKE my given name...its just decidedly female. I'm unsure what to do about that...it DOES have a male equivalent but I don't like it. I would probably (as far as people introducing me/talking about me) tell people to use my given name/female pronouns since I am definitely female at some point...and just handle the situation of switching when I meet someone or whatever. I feel like it would be a play-it-by-ear sort of deal.

9. O_Negative

So I thought I'd give people a little update. I did end up chatting with one of the transguys in lambda...he was super nice and very helpful. This particular friend of mine is very knowledgeable and is studying psychology and gender studies, so i figured, him being a friend and knowing what he's talking about, he might be a good place to start.

So I talked to him and it was fantastic to talk to someone I know. we are just messaging over facebook right now but it feels good to get it off my chest to someone. Thanks for the help everyone. I'm slowly figuring things out =)