1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by LauraMarie, Sep 24, 2012.

1. LauraMarie

So ive told my parents that im gay and they've accepted me 100% but they think i should keep it inside the family untill college (thats 2 years away) because they dont want me getting hurt. By me being gay was one of the reasons i transfered out of my christian school and into a public school this year. I have no friends at this new school and im focusing hard on my studies. Nobodys really clicked with me yet i guess. I would love to maybe next year take a girl to the prom or homecoming. I understand that they wanna protect me and i can see the advantages to waiting till college because i go to school with still alot of anti-gay people. Should i wait awhile to come out or wait till college when im on my own to feet and could go to LGBT clubs and meet people that i have things in common with? because i dont know anyone who is gay at my new school nor do i find attractive :frowning2: >.<

2. J Snow

I think if you feel ready to come out at school, you should do it regardless of whether your parents agree or not. If they are as accepting as you say I'm sure that they will understand.

3. LauraMarie

I don't think people would really care at my school. I'm kinda playing the shy card and I'm enjoying the peace and drama free time. I'm scared if I come out people will ask questions and bug me lol.

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, I would say that you should try to come out if you feel safe enough. That will help you to achieve your romantic goals and actualize yourself in other ways. It will also help other queer students feel safer to come out.

I would start with your safety first. Try to just get a group of friends, and come out to whoever is most likely to accept you. Once you have a base support group, you can come out to more people. Eventually, you'll probably get some hurtful responses, but if you have that solid base first, it won't be quite as difficult for you.

I don't really recommend keeping it to yourself if that gets to be too hard on you. It may be a protective impulse, but it's the protective impulse of straight parents who don't understand what it feels like to hide a part of themselves or risk ridicule and ostracism.

Also, remember, you can shut down questions. If people ask you really personal stuff, like how lesbians have sex, inform them in no uncertain terms that those kinds of questions are personal, discriminatory, and inappropriate. If you were to come out and people started doing that, the behavior would likely be covered by your school's sexual harassment policy.

5. LauraMarie

Ya that's true i think I'm going to wait a bit and kinda make sure I'm 100% positive first. I think I'll come out to my whole family then maybe just change my fb status:slight_smile: