1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it true that people from Texas are really homophobic

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Skittles Hugger, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Sorry didn't know we're to post it so I just posed it here lol. Any how I might move there and I just wanted to know

2. LauraMarie

Don't judge a state all together. Some people yes are homophobic but not as higher than any other state o.o

3. Ticklish Fish

technically, big cities in tx are more democratic.. so yeah...

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Texas and the South generally has a bad reputation, but regional prejudice is not really that cool as it turns out, nor useful. Matthew Shepard was killed in Wyoming, which is considerably north of Texas. And my hometown is a place where we have a teatard who tastelessly joked about his murder.

On the other hand, Texas at least has big cities in it which means that you can almost certainly find larger queer communities. Being queer in a sparse, rural place like Montana feels pretty lonesome.

5. starfish

What part of Texas are you moving to?

I'm a Texas native. It is better than it used to be, and the urban areas are a lot better than the rural areas.

6. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dallas has been on my list of places to possibly move and I was wondering about that too..

7. jvn95

I live in Northwest dusty bible belt baptist country Texas. And have been here all my life, and have been all over Texas and Oklahoma.

My answer to you.

Nope.

Sure, I would say that there are more homophobic people here than most. Then just stay away from them. I have seen and heard plenty of people at my school talk about how being gay or anything but being a white baptist male is wrong.

I have been bullied for being Catholic before. There are TONS of hard core Baptists in the panhandle where I live. Everywhere else in Texas though, Is pretty awesome. And where I live is cool too, just kinda still in the process of getting better.

We are not all Homophobic Racist Cowboys. I promise. Though there are more here than anywhere else.

Just stay away from Radical churches and people who go to them, and you'll be fine.

.... and stay away from those wierdos who talk to snakes.

---------- Post added 24th Sep 2012 at 10:06 PM ----------

I don't like Dallas,

Too big and too much crime for my tastes.

Austin, San Antonio, and Abilene are pretty cool though.
    At least to me

8. LilMistyMay

LilMistyMay Guest

I grew up in Dallas and have lived in Austin for the past few years so I will share my personal perspective. Dallas is definitely on the more pretentious, judgmental side, although there are areas that are friendly. The stigma is pretty present and the alternative scene is almost segregated. Austin is friendly as a general rule. There are events all the time and the gay bars are mixed in everywhere.

9. Byron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If I might humbly add an additional question to that of Skittles'. What about Houston? Is it "gay friendly"? I'm thinking about going to college there.

Again, I'm sorry for jumping onto someone else' thread but I didn't think my question wanted a thread of it's own.

10. Ticklish Fish

Well, I am in Houston. Don't worry, it's a big city and you can't find me. :grin: It takes me like 45 mins to an hour just to reach downtown.... yeah...

As much as gay friendliness goes, I would say it depends on which part of Houston and who you interact with. Yes, there are churches here. But also yes, people from different places come to this metropolitan to work.

My uni have a GSA kind of club, I just never go there since I am scared lol. This is another issue of my own. XD

We have kind of a diverse race, so you can expect some tolerance to diversity. But we're also in the south. So they kind of balance each other in terms of reception to sexuality.

In fact, i saw this church in downtown that have a sign that says they're pro-life. but that's another issue.

(have you start applying for college yet? Take SAT/ACT?)

11. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What about Conroe, TX? I've been talking to this girl who's my friend on Facebook-that's how we started talking. And now, we talk to each other everyday. I'm going to visit her sometime next year and if I like it, I'll stay. I just can't imagine Christmas without snow :frowning2:

My friend tells me that Houston is pretty gay friendly, she attended the parade this past summer.

#11 pinklov3ly, Sep 24, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  12. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I pray for the day when I'll be someplace where it will be dry as a bone outside and 80 degrees and sunny on Christmas! :eusa_danc

Michigan winters suck. :tantrum:

13. Ticklish Fish

Yeah.. the two days it did snow (out of like 5-7 years I am in Houston), it was like at 6 am when I am asleep, to which sleep wins. And I have never seen snow with my eyes.

As far as weather goes. It's hot and humid. Hot in general. Winter for like 2-3 months.

and yeah, we have a parade , i think.

14. kinar70

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just moved a month ago and left the lonestar state after 22 years. I lived in Houston, spent lots of time in Conroe, and visited all the major cities. There are plenty of haters, but most people are at least tolerant if not totally accepting. Austin is fantastic. Houston has a very large and active lgbt community. In the big cities there are just so many people that everyone knows someone who is gay and out and proud. I've found it's a lot harder to maintain bigotry when your boss, coworker, or dentist is one of "those people." Not to say it doesn't happen, but it isn't as often as some people might think.

15. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :lol:

I'm not going to lie, they do because I'm actually sick already! :tantrum: And it's not even winter yet :***: And I absolutely hate driving whenever it snows :dry:

#15 pinklov3ly, Sep 24, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  16. Flow

I was born and raised in Houston, TX which is pretty liberal. Yeah, theres always going to be homophobes wherever we go, but we have Montrose(Which is known as gay central). Plus our mayor is a lesbian!

17. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  18. MarignyJohn

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I lived there for many years. Although certain areas of Dallas are freiendly to Gay people, those also have bigots in them. Dallas is much better than it used to be. But saying that is not much.

Texas on the whole is VERY BIGOTED. Do not let people mislead you. Texans like to potray things positively in public, but god forbid you end up in a homophobic suburb.

The best place in Texas to live by far is Austin. People in Austin are friendly to gay people.

Any other place and good luck.

19. FallenAngel

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes -_- I live in Texas and I hate it. I'm in Flower Mound which sucks...snotty homophobes...but Dallas is pretty good about it at least.