1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to be Yourself?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Tabb, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Tabb

So I met this guy, but I have no idea how to be myself in any conversations we have. Around my closest friend "K", I am able to make funny faces, talk about anything, sing, and whatever I want, really.

Around all my other friends, I'm limited to awkward pauses and boring conversation.

So I'm just curious as to how I can act like myself, like around K, around anyone else. I really like this guy, and I think I might have a chance. I want to show him who I am, though, and not end up boring him. :I

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! If being able to talk about different things is a part of who you are, and being yourself is, I'd encourage you to give it a try with the guy you like. In some ways, getting to know him, and even though it might be a bit awkward at first, should allow you to find topics and common threads to talk about.

Even making one or two funny faces while you talk, would be okay. If you feel that some humor would be good, and lighten up a conversation, I think there is nothing wrong with it.

You can always start a conversation/chat with "this is who I am" by talking about the things you like doing and what make you, you. :slight_smile:

3. AshenAngel

AshenAngel Guest

Idk if this will help at all! but I have a pair of sunglasses which my alter ego lives in. I put them on and its like I'm more outgoing... idk. Its not the thrill of anonymity either, because everyone knows of my oddities, including this one. *puts on shades* B-)

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you're unsure how to act, why not let him take he lead? Ask him some open ended questions. What are his interests, his hobbies, his favorite movies and bands and food? And expand on those. How'd he get started on that hobby? What aspects does he like about it? Well-asked questions can get an involved conversation going, on both sides, and allow your personality to show.

Lex

5. stephaniesbaby

get to know him. the more time you spend with him, the more comfy you'll get with him, the easier it will be to be yourself. thats my 2 cents :slight_smile:

6. Tabb

Blah. He's apparently "had a thing with his a friend" (who is a girl) before. You know what that means. xP Aeonm eoaufnaseovunaoewfiunmaf.

Every time. Dx Like literally. The one time I decide to put effort into talking to someone, he turns out to be straight just like the rest. :I I guess I can find a new friend in him, but darn.

Thanks for your advice, everyone. I really do appreciate it. I actually ended up spending the school day talking to him at a 3-hour school picnic. =P

7. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Sorry to hear that it didn't work out. But it is still okay because you have decided to put an effort into this, and this counts. Keep looking, and talking to others. It will happen.

Talking with him, even just a friends, will give you the chance to learn and become more outgoing and yourself with others, outside of your friends' circle.