1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to join the LGBT club

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Catkin, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Catkin

Clubs and societies day is tomorrow and I'm going to try and make myself join the LGBT club. I don't even plan to go to any of their events, I just want to write my name down, but hey, baby steps. In the last two years at college I've never managed more than a few furtive glances at the LGBT table on fairs day. This shouldn't be such a big deal, loads of straight people join the LGBT club here, so joining doesn't necessarily imply anything. Im still scared of people I know seeing and asking why I joined though. Unfortunately I've had two years to psych myself out, which isnt good, because it'll be pretty obvious I'm not just joining to be supportive if I'm shaking when I get to the table. (That might not even be much of an exaggeration). I'm mainly making this thread to try to stop myself from chickening out.

2. hafwen

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I feel the same way as you do. If you have a friend, I guess you could say that you wouldn't mind checking it out with them. If they ask why, you could say that you know a couple of people there.

3. Catkin

Sorry for posting again, and I know this is a bit of a silly little thing to be happy about; but I signed up.:slight_smile: It took me ages and I must have visited every other table before the LGBT table but I still (eventually) joined.

4. O_Negative

Yay! Go you. This can be a chance to be you! I have been in mine all 3 plus a little years, but I have had the opposite issue. I've been adamant about identifying as an ally...but...well look at my little profile thing haha. Things are a'changing. You can do this though! And perhaps they will be good friends to you and give you some help and support figuring things out. Congrats! =)

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I don't think it is a silly thing to be happy about it. It is wonderful that you were able to join and feel happy about it. I'm sure a part of you is relieved that you were able to sign up and overcome that fear. A LGBT support group can be an important part of your support network.

Having joined will probably give you a boost in your confidence and will allow you to become more open about yourself with others. :slight_smile:

6. BNQ2012

Congratulations! There's nothing silly about being happy you joined. I say celebrate whatever the steps are that you take and do so in whatever order you take them. (!)