1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crush on someone younger...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Cryson, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Cryson

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hello everyone, I was hoping you could give me some advise on my situation.

I'm a closeted bi-sexual and have been thinking of whether I should come out or not. I was recently put into a new forum group at my school and one of the year (or grade if you prefer, I'm in the UK) 10's in my new forum is incredible cute but I often have these little crushes and as I'm not out and nobody in my year (11, the last year before we go to college in the UK) is out as gay or anything I just ignore them.

I found out today that he is (quite openly) gay and that is why I'm here. Remembering the fact that A) I'm 16 and he's 15 B) I'm not out yet and not sure if I should come out or not and the obvious C) Would he be interested in me even if I was out?

I've been bouncing the idea of coming out lately and I'm wondering if I should just wait for school to end (about 6 months) or come out. I was leaning more to waiting but finding out that someone younger than me is brave enough to be out has made me all confuddled. (especially as I like him) :confused:

So I'm here to ask you this: Should I come out? If I do should I pluck up the courage to ask him out or is he too young/not interested?

2. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why not try to befriend him first and see how things go? Try to get to know him as a friend, then if things feel right after a little while, you could maybe come out to him. I would just work on a friendship for now until you get a bit of a foundation down with him before you go and try jumping into a relationship. Also we can't say if he is interested in you or not as we have nothing to go by. And he's definitely not too young. He's only 1 year younger than you. :wink:

3. Dr Acula

Nothing wrong with a thing for someone younger. I was 22 when I met my boyfriend, he was 19 (nearly 20).

Consent is an issue, but you seem to be sensible enough to consider that. Regarding coming out, you have to do it in your own time. I didn't come out completely until I was 18/19, my boyfriend came out when he was 14.

4. LauraMarie

Coming out dosent have to be a race:slight_smile: people come out at diffrent times in their life o: come out when you feel ready you dont have to rush. The age thing isnt a big deal what so ever unless it bothers you or something -shrugs- ive dated older and younger then myself and its really not that big a deal unless its a drastic age diffrence o.o

5. LionsAndShadows

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    A) is not a problem – one year’s difference in age is nothing.
    B) you should not come out just because you fancy this boy and you don’t think he’ll like you if you are not openly bi. Just because he is out as gay is not a reason for you to feel obliged to be out. if he likes you should not have anything to do with whether you are openly gay/bi.
    C) I would encourage you to explore friendship with this openly gay boy to see how comfortable you feel with coming out as bisexual rather than the other way around.

6. Ianthe

Hi, Welcome to Empty Closets!

One year is an acceptable age difference. And I'm not one of the "age doesn't matter" people. You're fine, regarding that.

If there are not many gay people in your school, I'm sure at the very least he would be glad to have a friend that relates. At the very least, I would recommend coming out to him. (He won't out you.) This would even be enough reason, by itself, to talk to him. You can tell him what you've just told us, about how you were planning on waiting but seeing him come out has made you rethink it a little and you want to discuss it.

Regarding asking him out, I say go for it. You should probably chat with him a little first, but truly--I think if you don't try, it will be something you regret. I know I wish I could have had a high school romance.

But you don't have to come out to everyone right away, just to come out to him. You can come out to him, and see if it might go anywhere. If so, it might be worth coming out earlier than you had planned so that you don't have to sneak around and pretend your relationship is less than it is.

If you ask him out, just start by asking him for a date, and take things one step at a time. He's much more likely to refuse if you try to get him to agree to a relationship right away, or confess big feelings without even giving him the opportunity to think about you "that way" for a little while after planting the idea. Just asking for a date is much less pressure, and you are much more likely to get a positive response. Make it obvious that it's a date, though.

Of course, we can't know if he'll feel that way about you, but there is nothing from what you said that would prevent it. And keep in mind, it's probably not like you have a whole lot of competition. He's in the same school as you, right?

7. Cryson

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thanks for the support guys, I really appreciate it!

I'm going to give this a lot of thought and will definitely take your words into consideration. :icon_wink