1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homophobic homosexuality

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by zumbo, Jan 31, 2008.

1. zumbo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It is ironic and maybe rude but even though I'm gay, I'm also afraid of other gays, especially the flamboyant ones. I'm soft and I have always considered myself to be gay.

Does anybody here feel the same way?:icon_sad:

2. kholdstare90

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally I don't but i know many gay people who feel the same way.

3. Nicvcer

Nicvcer Guest

I'm afraid of the flamboyant ones, though I don't mind telling them I'm bi.

4. CrimsonThunder

I'm not afraid of any gay people... But I don't like some. Is that homophobic? No not really because I don't just dislike them because they're gay.

5. Grof142007

i do not feel the same way but i can understand why somone would:icon_bigg

6. donnie5

personally i was kinda shocked by fla,boyant when i first came out because it was knda like a shock to the system but once you get out there and got to clubs and such you'll realize that you'll like some gay guys you won't like others just like you like some people and don't like others and it won't matter anymore that there flamboyant. though this may be different for others i am just a very non judgmental person and ususally see people for who they are and not what they look like or what they act like i hope that was of some help:icon_wink :icon_wink :icon_wink :icon_wink

7. KatoKumi

It's not homophobic; it's just not the type of people you associate with.

I'm kinda flamboyant myself; so I don't have much say in this. Problem is a lot of gay boys just wanna show pretty to feel pretty. :]

Well, at least, that's why I do it, hahah.

8. new18

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    What does FLAMBOYANT mean? It terms of homosexuality?

Does that mean feminine? For me, feminine men have never been something I have found "appealing" for a couple of reasons. I hate how people stereotype you, if you are gay then you must act girly.

Yes it is true that many gay men tend to act feminine, (But it depends how FAR you take it) but that stereotype is something I really do not feel comfortable with.

It is different when you are a transgender person. And I am from trans rights.

I prefer gay men who act more heterosexual. In fact I would most likely rather be friends with a

"Heterosexual" acting homosexual, then a heterosexual who acts metrosexual,

DID THAT MAKE SENSE???????????????????

9. John Smith

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It makes sense. I mean I'd feel pretty uncomfortable in the company of an OTT and camp gay man. Probably because they're free to flaunt their homosexuality out in the open whilst I'm still rooted firmly in the closet.

10. Temujin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I prefer masculine guys. I dunno why I do, but I think it has to do with "presence". How a person carries themselves and how they communicate with the world and those around them has a sexy appeal to me. I just wouldn't feel comfortable in public with a very effeminate guy. Maybe because i'm afraid they too would think i'm gay by association? I dunno, does that mean i'm not fully out to myself? On the other hand, I have no problem being seen in public with another masculine guy. And i'm anti-PDA, either way. What does that say about me? It's an interesting question to ponder.

Anyhow, am I homophobic toward effeminate guys? I dunno, I don't feel comfortable around them in public but privately I have no issues. Does that make me shallow??

Argh. Too much psychoanalysis. :icon_redf

11. ok455

I get really nervious around other gay guys

12. Astaroth

I usually have a blast with effeminate guys. When I first started my coming out process, I had an aversion to effeminacy for the same reasons. However, I have come to find that most "girly" guys have a lot more fun in the end because they have no reservations about being themselves. They aren't worried about other people's perceptions, and that liberation seems to rub off on others around them.

13. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I haven't encountered many gay people I don't like. Is that weird? :slight_smile:

I remember dragging my sister-in-law to see Brokeback Mountain. She was a little nervous about it all and the first person I ran into was one of my very effeminate guy friends. I mean this guy had a wiggle in his hips that would out do any woman. He carried a purse sometimes and had a very high pitched voice. He came running up to me and hugged me squeeling as he did it. I turned to my sister-in-law and said "how could anybody think that Markie chose to be gay?" She just nodded her head in agreement :slight_smile:

14. new18

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I know this off-topic. but I LOVE transvestites and transexuals!!

They are soo cool!! Just with self-confidence and the attitude !! I love it.
    I want to have a friend like Jeffree Star!!

I THINK WE WOULD BE BEST FRIENDZ!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFsOhoQPuec

15. smartguy

i guess thats understandable

omg when i first saw pictures of gay parades with the cross-dressers and half naked dancers in leather i was like WTF, but whatever thats culture

16. Ty

Ty Guest

I don't think any 'type' of gay people particularly scare or annoy me.... maybe the biker ones.... >.> eep!

17. Psychedelic Bookmarks

i don't displike any type of person... so long as they're nice. maybe once you meet a feminine/flamboyant gay man you like you can begin to get over your fear of them :slight_smile: they're just doing their thing, you know... it's no problem.

18. 24601

I think a distinction needs to be made between homophobia/fear and just dislike...

While I don't really mind flamboyant gay guys... or flamboyancy in general, there are certain types of people I just don't like. For example, really stereotypical stupid slutty girls (okay, that sounds harsh, but anyone in high school can probably match the stereotype) - I'm happy to live and let live, but I try to avoid socializing with them. Does that mean I'm sexist or afraid of girls? Not really. I also don't really like gangster-type guys. Does that mean I'm heterophobic or afraid of them? Well, sometimes I guess I might be afraid of them... but that's a different kind of thing, haha, I'm definitely not afraid of them as *people* or as an entire sexuality.

So, basically, it's possible to just dislike different sub-groups of people. Gay, straight, bisexual, alien, it doesn't really matter - I only consider it a phobia/one of the dreaded "-ists" if it's the WHOLE group without any individual consideration. It is possible, though, to be homophobic and be gay, but, by the way you describe yourself, I don't think you are.

19. Luroon

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I get nervous around other gay guys simply because I don't want to come across as lame or whatever and make an undateable fool of myself.

As for not having much tolerance for more flamboyant men, thats not homophobia at all. It's just like discriminating a potential partner on any other quality like height or weight. Just because were gay does not mean that we will without hesitation hook up with any other gay person...thats like saying a straight guy will screw any straight girl simply because the parts match.

20. divadarya

What gives me hope here is that so many of you, out or not, take it for granted that Homosexuality is just the way you are, and that's the way it is. The religious right are finally on the ropes in the US; you guys are a tidal wave that the country will simply have to accept.
    I'm trans, and a lot of us grow up trying to overcompensate by being hyper-masculine; there's a lot of trans veterans. I think our culture gets nervous around anyone who is open and expressive about who they are unless it's some rich white blowhard; we are all "supposed" to admire him because he's "made it"....
    I know gay men and women I can't stand and others that are my closest friends and confidants;we're all human, and different.
    GOD..don't get me started on trannies....!
    We're a complex bunch, a drag queen(like Jeffree Star) is not a crossdresser(Eddie Izzard) is not a transsexual (Calpernia Adams, or that great woman on "Dirty Sexy Money")
    Trans means you felt different your whole life, and then found that you really have the right brain in a body with the wrong sex organs on it...
    anyway..love you guys.
    Darya