1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multiple Issues (one small on bigger)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by FireBender, Sep 26, 2012.

1. FireBender

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    So i have been dating my best friend , (girl), for a year now and even when we first started dating i knew i could never live without her. I wanna be able to marry her but i have no idea how we could ever make it happen. Cause i know we both want kids but if we arent married then there will be somethings the other cant do and such (like pick them up from school or take them to the doctor ect.) and i know its pretty far away cause we are both in college and such and we still need to come out to everyone before we could get married (i have to ask her dad for her hand in marriage... that will be fun...)
    I know for a fact we wont be able to marry for a few more years but i still wanna know how we could marry to where it was legal and we wouldnt be questioned. (i have no idea what i meant by we wouldnt be questioned)

On a lesser note, my girlfriends 20th birthday is this weekend and she wont give me any clue to what she wants. she is an outdoors type girl who doesnt really like girlly things. she like chocolate and steak but i dont want to get her a gift card. any suggestion on either issue?

2. Gen

Gen

Well, I cant answer too many of the questions. But I would like to inform you that, although depending on where you live you many not be able to be both considered their legal guardians, there isnt much that will seperate you from what you can do with them. Many children have step parents who arent considered legal guardians, but arrangements can easily be made to allow the parent to be able to pick them up from school, take them to appointments, etc. There shouldnt be that much seperation.

3. frogger

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    We live in Missouri & Kansas. But we could end up living somewhere different, most likely Texas, Florida, or California. (I hoping to work for NASA). I've had the same questions she has, but just haven't asked yet cuz marriage is something that's far away right now.

Btw I would give u an idea of what i want for my bday but I dont have a clue what I want. I just wanna come home to you :slight_smile: I miss you.

4. redstormrising

only six states (NY, NH, VT, CT, MA, and IA) and washington DC currently allow same-sex couples to marry. of the states you mentioned, texas, missouri, and kansas have constitutional amendments expressly *forbidding* same-sex marriage. california had same-sex marriage briefly, which was overruled by legislation - but the constitutionality of that legislation is wending its way through the court system. the lower courts struck it down and it is now on appeal to the us supreme court.

you can still have children together, though, and the non-biological parent can adopt the child and be able to pick him/her up from school, take him/her to the doctor, etc. definitely not an ideal situation, of course, but it's an option. or civil union/domestic partnership in the places that allow it

5. FireBender

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I know arrangements can be made but some doctors are getting stupid and ridiculous. I have an adopted brother and The hospital almost sent them away (it was a scheduled visit to a kidney doctor) because my mother wasnt his biological. they had lost the file saying he was adopted. I dont want to have to worry about issues like this.