1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question....

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ItsAllConfusing, Sep 27, 2012.

1. ItsAllConfusing

So I have been texting someone for a few days now. We are really hitting it off!! But I am worried about our ages... I'm 24, and he is 18. Is that weird?? I mean I don't have a problem with it, but would other people??

2. TheUndiscovered

Probably. Especially at young ages relationships that have an age gap of a few years especially by 6 years can be seen as taboo

3. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, it's not weird. I'm 24 as well, but for me personally I wouldn't want to date anyone younger than 21. I feel, in general, that an 18 year old is at a different place in life and is more likely to be a bit immature. Of course there's always exceptions, I'm speaking in general.

4. ItsAllConfusing

Does it change anything that I have never had a relationship, and he has?

5. No it's not weird. It's legal anyway so you won't get in trouble.

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    18 and 24 is at the cusp of acceptable in most people's eyes. That's a pretty large gap -- almost a third of his life -- so there are likely to be some issues, but if he's the more experienced one, things might balance out a bit. It's worth trying, just make sure you both continue to communicate openly.

7. MichaelB

I personally don't think it's weird at all. I think it depends on where you live.

I knew a girl that dated a 22 year old when she was 16. I've known a guy of 17 to date a woman of 21. Both of these people were not legally an adult, but not many people cared. A few people commented with the 16 year old case, but even then, the comments were mild at best.

You're both legal adults, so go for it if you ask me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: