1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mood swings again...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Tails Luver, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Tails Luver

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    God, when will these stop?! :bang: I seriously fell like doing what that emoticon is doing... I've been having mood swings... Huge ones... This may get a tad long. Not too long, but I just need to vent once again... and I need some advice, those of you who read to the end.

Last Friday, I felt completely hyper and happy and ready to handle whatever the world would throw at me! It was the best I had felt in weeks...! But then on Saturday, I started to get all depressed again. Y'see, Friday was the day of the homecoming parade, and Saturday was the dance. I saw all those people there with dates... even a lesbian couple... and I thought, Why can't I have the courage to do that? To find a guy that I like and ask him to a dance? Monday morning, I was... happier... Not in my best mood, but I was okay. I could handle everything. Monday afternoon, during lunch and afterwards, I started to get sad again, telling myself that God hates me, and then Monday night, I was happy again. That was probably one of the most erratic days I had had in a while. Tuesday was just... okay. No mood swings that day. I was just meh the entire day. Wednesday, though, I was so depressed that I stayed home from school and actually came literally a sixteenth of an inch away from cutting myself right on the wrist. It even took a lot for my best friend to cheer me up, and he has a knack for that. I was depressed for the entire day and night, and even into (currently, even though for some of you, it might still be this morning) yesterday morning. But once I got to school, I started getting happy again, and... and now I'm depressed again...

Rrgh! :bang: What the hell is up with these mood swings! I hate them! Any advice on handling them and not letting them get the best of me at the worst of times, because I had almost snapped at my friend on Wednesday? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Btw, is this odd for someone my age and gender?

2. Waterlilly

Have you seen a mental health professional about your mood swings? It may be a symptom of depression or bipolar disorder, in which case it is not at all odd for someone your age. The best thing to do for either is therapy and possibly medication. There are also some things like DBT which teach you the skills to handle your moods and impulses. They would help you keep from cutting or snapping at people. It sounds like you are aware of your feelings and actions even if you don't have complete control over them. I would really recommend reading up on DBT, because it might be what you need to gain control over your moods.

You are not alone. I had severe mood swings for years. I actually did do this:bang: at one point. Now, I am more or less balanced and when I do swing up or down, it isn't that far and I come back to center pretty quickly. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. I swear. (*hug*)

3. Tails Luver

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I... was thinking about that, but... I don't wanna worry my parents... They don't know that I'm worrying this much about my sexual orientation... and I don't wanna tell them, either. It's not a subject that's comfortable for any of us, and they would probably just once again tell me, "It's just a phase. I went through it, too," about my orientation.

And I know it's not a symptom of bipolar disorder, because my parents probably had me checked out for that when I got diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome when I was little, and because these mood swings just started recently. I've never had them before, and I'm pretty sure it is a sign of depression, because I was depressed for almost a whole month a couple weeks before this.

I guess I could actually try talking to my parents... but it won't be easy... Jeez... Why does everything have to be so hard when you're LGBT?