1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GSA at my school!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Davey, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Davey

Okay so I am totally geeking out. Me and my close friend Myra decided yesterday that we wanted to start a GSA at our school. Today we already have people who are agreeing to join and a teacher who literally (!) JUMPED(!) on the opportunity to advise the group.

WE ARE SO HAPPY!

I never thought that I..ME..would actually be part of starting a group like this. To know that if this goes well in the next few days that my name will go down as being a founder of this.

:eusa_danc YAY!:eusa_danc

much love
    (&&&)

2. CerahWright

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    that is so cool!! i wante dto start one but am not allowed because of archdisocese rules and what-not (or maybe its just my school, idk). Any way- i'm glad you were able to start a GSA.

3. JeremyB

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Very cool! I helped start the GSA at my school with a friend.. But she doesnt go to our school anymore so I have to run it (with help from the teacher of course). Just be sure to ask your teacher if you can get it into the announcements. It's always a nice backup if your posters get ripped down (which hopefully wont happen:slight_smile:)
    And if your flyers do happen to get ripped down just keep putting them up. The people will get tired of taking them down.

4. Psychedelic Bookmarks

congrats! i really hope it will work out!

my school doesn't have one but maybe in a few years, when i'm a sixthformer and have hopefully come out... who knows :slight_smile:

5. Luroon

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I started a GSA at my school this fall, but unfortunately there wasn't a lot of interest. It's cool that people are excited at your school for it. Good luck!

6. Chaz

Good luck with the GSA ^^. I don't think one at my school would work, since theres only really 1 bi girl and 1 gay guy (Me, and im not out. >.>).

7. JeremyB

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You never know. I thought the same thing.. Just me and my bi friend. But the first meeting I had 20-25 people show up (some were supporting friends of mine). Not all of them were gay/bi but there were more than I expected.

8. Davey

well the school one fell though. we lost some of our support then they were confronted by the principal and then my friend decided she was to busy.

but i am still trying to get people together outside of school then we might try and get it in the school. but its not easy AT ALL!

but i'm trying to stick it out!

9. Alexander

What kind of school is it? If it's not public, you can link me to the site and I'll be glad to lawyerize their documents for the one line that allows you to start a gsa :badgrin:

10. Hollywood

GSAs usually don't have a lot of attendance so don't get discouraged if it dosent grow at the rate you want it to. Personally, I don't attend my school's GSA because it is mainly made up of...well...I hate to steriotype gay people, but I myself and more of a clean-cut gay at the upper end of the social spectrum. The goth/emo gays that populate the GSA arent my scene...that sounds really assholeish, but yeah.

11. GunStarre

GunStarre Guest

My school's GSA doesn't even HAVE any gay people there. It's really just a club for girls (seriously, no guy is ever present there).

12. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's always good to see people having success with these sorts of things. A GSA would be shot down immediately where I live.

13. Time

Same here, but I think when I get into high school in a couple years I'm gonna propose it anyway as I'll probably be fully out by then.

14. sodachris3000

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    good luck. Too bad I can't do that at my school. They're all homophobes

15. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Those are the places that need it the most!

16. Brett

Yeah same here! I have 3 ppl other than myself that want to join and, theres like 3 out gay ppl at my school, the only thing is tat I live in a small hick town in Texas.....so yeah.......

17. Wolfbane

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm proud of you. I helped start the GSA at my school last year. Let me warn you though, while it comes off as mindless fun and all will fall in place. It really takes some energy and attention. You have to focus on what you mission is, what your goals are, and what you wish to accomplish through your group. Remember this club isnt for only you, its to make those around you, those that have been oppressed by breeders, those that have been silenced, able to come out and feel comfortable at school and to be proud of who they are. The Day of Silence is a GREAT morale booster, I'll post a topic on it if someone else doesnt beat me to it, closer to when it is supposed to happen. Its a national day when all gays who wish to participate stay silent the entire day....to signify those who are silenced about themselves or their orientation by abusive or opressive heterosexuals or others who dislike gays....or find them disruptive.

You will have to keep your members interested, new ideas, new thoughts, new theory's, new plans, new trips, new tasks. Have to keep things rolling and the ball going. that is the problem with out GSA now, we lack funds, therefore we lack possabilities.

Another thing, GET FUNDRAISING ASAP....like this is NO JOKE...you need funds to even function.

so best of luck, and i hope it all works out to your dreams capabilities.

18. Jace

Ft. Worth? Small hick town? Hick maybe but small definitely not lol. Do you like live in a suburb? I haven't really started school in Austin yet (Round Rock to be more specific) so I'm not sure about how that would fly at my school who knows maybe they already have one, I'll find out on wedensday

19. Brett

Yeah I live in Aledo, pop. ~300
    The school I go to is 4-A but the place is out in the middle of nowhere about an hour from Ft. Worth.......and 10 min from anything else.......