1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

opening up

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by darkcheesse, Sep 28, 2012.

1. darkcheesse

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i'm moving in with two friends on sunday, i'm terrified and excited at the same time, one knows im gay, the other won't but something still holds me back.
    but thats not the issue my anxiety has comeback with avengance in the past 2 days i've had 2 half an hour long episodes. i feel that i really need to inform my friends of this.
    if they found me suffering anxiety attack their initial thought would be what has he taken. we occasionally take drugs recreationally so i'm 90% sure that's what they'll think. i'm really introverted so opening up has always been an issue.

any idea's on how to tell them, i had a chance with the friend im not owt two but im a big chicken

2. Cloudbreaker

Could you ask your other friend to tell them for you? Maybe while you are standing there with them? There is no rule that says you have to be the one to do it, so why not ask a friend to help you out?

3. darkcheesse

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    unfortunately he only knows my sexuality and not about my anxiety, i still need to tell him that. i've come out to a atleast 20 people, but i've only told 3 people about my anxiety. i just can't think of a good way to inform them of my anxiety, without just bursting out with it randomly.

is there a good way to bring it up? because im struggling to think of one, any help much apreciated thx

4. Cloudbreaker

I'm not too familiar with anxiety issues, so forgive me if my following advice won't work for you. But I'll try anyway.

Go to friend 1 and say something like, "I know this is a little out of the blue, but it's kind of important. I've been trying to figure out how to tell friend 2 that I'm gay, but I keep getting anxiety attacks for some reason. Think you could help me out?" That way you could bring up both issues at once. Each being the reason for bringing up the other.

Also, it might be helpful to try viewing your situation from your friends' shoes. Would you care if your friend randomly came to you with a problem they were having? Even if they are caught off-guard, most friends would be more than happy to help, and it isn't usually nearly as big of an issue having a problem thrown at them as the person with the actual problem thinks it is. For instance, if a friend came up to me and randomly told me they were gay, or that they had anxiety attacks, I might wonder why they chose this moment to randomly tell me, but I wouldn't care one bit that they told me randomly.

5. darkcheesse

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    cheers i guess ill have to try that, im not sure how it will do down but i'm sure nothing bad could really happen. i'll see if i can find a private moment to chat to him