1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turning 30, struggling with anxiety/depression, and other issues

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by scyld, Sep 28, 2012.

1. scyld

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi all--

I stumbled on this site during one of the neurotic Google searches I make nowadays. I thought I'd post here about my problems, and see if I could get some advice and a more balanced perspective on things...

I think it's appropriate to talk about my issues here, since even though I've been out for few years, I still am experiencing much of what those newly outed do, such as trying to find a first boyfriend.

So I'm 29, and I will be 30 fairly soon. My teens and 20's really, really, really... REALLY sucked, in large part because I struggled with anxiety, depression, and being closeted and gay. For most of my 20's, I also was stuck in a science PhD program that I hated because my research was bad and I just didn't demand to get the help I needed. I also had only 1 or 2 friends at a time. In fact, for some parts of my 20's, I had ZERO friends. Finally, I have been in pretty bad physical shape, but thankfully I have a good weight for my height (i.e. I'm not overweight, thank god, just lacking muscle).

Also, I should say: I embraced being gay, finally, at 25. I came out to my parents at 26, and they took it hard. My mom has come around since. (Also, FYI, I've never had a relationship, just more casual arrangements or hookups.)

I've spent most of my life inside, by myself, playing video games and watching TV.

So, being anxious and depressed, I obsess over my professional/intellectual failures, my social failures, and all the things I could've done but didn't: all the milestones I've missed, and all the common coming-of-age experiences that others have enjoyed but I haven't. I am jealous of those younger than me and ashamed of myself in front of them, especially when I perceive that they have done so much more with their lives than I have even though I'm older.

This is the content of my thoughts every single day, constantly running in a loop in my brain, and I'm absolutely miserable.

Here's a little of what's going on now. I've started going out to the clubs with a friend of mine, and while I love dancing and am actually pretty good at it, I also am struck by how much younger so many people are and how they have so much YOUTH ahead of them that I have lost. I also notice how much they are fawned over, and how I am so quickly heading towards being undesirable without ever having experienced the joys of the prime years of youth.

I am trying some other things to get myself out there. It's fun at times, but it's so hard too.

Professionally, things have come to a head and might improve or might go to hell. I am trying to write a mediocre thesis, one just good enough to get me a degree, but I don't know if it will be good enough (or if I even will finish it on time). Either way, I might have a good job with a good income in a federal agency, if my application is accepted in the end.

I just don't see what there is in store for me, especially as a gay male who has completely lost youth and only has middle and old age to look forward to. My depressed, anxious thoughts make it so hard for to work on anything at all or do much more than sit on the couch. But I'm trying.

I want to get in shape, I want to have a social life, I want to have a fulfilling professional life, and someday I want a man I love. But I just feel like I'm completely and utterly weighed down.

I guess I don't know what exactly to ask or say in this post... I just feel overwhelmed. But typing this all out makes me feel a little better.

I'll ask specific questions later, but if anyone has anything to say, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

#1 scyld, Sep 28, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  2. Lad123

Hello and welcome to EC! :slight_smile:

The main problem that I got from your post was that you tend to focus on how young everyone is compared to yourself. At your age, 29 going onto 30 is far from old, i mean sure you may not be a 'twink' anymore but thats not a big deal. You have your whole life ahead of you. I think on average, gays normally start accepting themselves and start to come out in their early 20's so you were actually on trend.

I've have seen so many stories on EC of guys much older than you in their 40's and 50's who have only just accepted that they are gay or have made the unfortunate mistake of being married to a woman, essentially living a lie but have found the courage to divorce. However they took things in stride and they strive to live a happier life they always dreamed of.

The most important thing that you must deal with is that you need to stop looking into the past and clinging onto your failures because we cannot change it. Its best to concentrate on the present/future since you can shape it into however you want. You've got to make the most of what you have now.

I think baby steps are a good starting point here. If you want to get into shape then it will take some effort. Join a gym if you haven't already done so and maybe go like once or twice a week to get things going. Perhaps you have a friend that would be willing to join you for motivation?

If you want a social life then have a look at all the clubs in your local area. What interests you? Perhaps join a book club if you like to read? or maybe an LGBT club to meet other gays? Also the more people you meet, the more chance of finding that special guy.

I have no idea what to say about your professional life sorry...

I hope you stick around EC and surround yourself with like-minded people.

Stay strong! (*hug*)

3. scyld

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi Lad! First of all, thank you so much for the warm and inviting welcome. I have to admit, I wasn't expecting that. But I suppose people that know me well would tell me I'm always expecting the worst anyway.

If you want to understand what causes me to see life as I see it, they're mental phenomena referred to by professionals as "cognitive distortions." We all have them, but mine are probably worse than most people's. Here's an example:

Earlier today, my friend invited me out to a club, in part to meet his boyfriend for the first time. Closer to the time of the outing, I texted him to ask him for further details.

He didn't get back to me.

So, what did I think? Well, what I told him I thought was that I assumed his phone was off or something (a reasonable conclusion).

But what I actually assumed was that he talked to his boyfriend about me, and in doing so told his boyfriend a bunch of negative things about me. Further, I assumed that the dialog went somewhere to the conclusion that my friend would have more fun without me.

Anyway, it turned out that he was just napping. I went out with him, met his boyfriend, and we all had fun, until my friend's boyfriend got himself kicked out of the club :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

But at any rate, this is the crap I have to deal with in my brain-hole. I make myself believe horrible things about life that are far from the truth. I completely discount the positives and wiiiidly exacerbate anything that might be even slightly negative.

I'll say more about what you told me later (in addition to asking whatever I wanted to ask apparently =p), but thank you so very, very much. Your comments helped me a ton, and thank you again for your warm welcome :wink:

#3 scyld, Sep 29, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  4. alberz

alberz Guest

Maybe you’re discounting the positive outcomes so you won’t have to deal with a negative shock. If it actually turns out that the negative outcome is the true one, you’ll already expect it, so won’t be let down. If it’s the positive outcome, which it probably is in most cases, then you’ll have a positive shock. The trouble is all the worrying about the negative outcomes, and missing opportunities because of it. I’ve had this problem (especially when people I’m attracted to are involved), but I’m trying hard to change it.

The youth thing is probably a normal reaction to age milestones after 18 (or 21), but if you think about it, most of us will probably live to be about 80. If we become adults at, say, 18, our adult lives will last 62 years. From that perspective, even age 50 is only about halfway through. Being gay might make it harder, especially if you’re attracted to ‘twinks’. I’m a bi ‘twink’ myself, and on the gay side I’ve honestly only ever been attracted to other ‘twinks’, which does make me nervous when I think about the possibility of a gay relationship. I find it hard to imagine a guy being attracted to me as a non-‘twink’, and vice-versa. On the straight side, though, I often find older women attractive, so I’m sure there are gay guys with similar views.

I’m a postgrad too, so I know how hard it can be. Where I live, a full education through doctorate is 8 years in theory, but at least 9 or 10 for most people. At times, it can feel like you’re wasting your youth, when some of your fellow students started working in high-paying jobs after 3-5 years, and settled down, but you’re still a student. If you also have to move a lot (e.g. after each degree), it can make things even worse, since you feel like you can’t even settle down. I went through a rough patch, but it really changed when I got a strong signal of a good job offer after I finish, that won’t require moving home yet again, and I got to the point where I had enough knowlede and leeway to feel like I could choose the direction for my career after I finish. All the anxiety and stress just vanished, and now I’m really motivated. I don’t know how the system in the USA works, but if you can get some certainty about your job application, and decide what you want to do, it might help to motivate you.

As a last point, judging yourself by comparing with others will never come out well. There will always be someone who’s smarter, fitter, more attractive, more successful, younger, etc. As an atheist, I believe we have to give our lives purpose, but that also means we can decide what the purpose is. If you decide your purpose is to be as good as or better than everyone else, then you’ll fail. On the other hand, if you can make a difference, even only a small one, for the world or people you care about, then you can make that your purpose, and go for it. :thumbsup:

5. Aldrick

Hey Scyld. Welcome to EC. :smilewave

Let me just say that you're story could have been written by me. Not only do we think exactly alike, I just turned thirty a couple of months ago. For me the whole turning thirty thing forced me to go back into therapy. I panicked as I realized that my life was slipping away from me, and that I'd let so many good opportunities go by because I was too afraid to seize them. My life isn't where I wanted it to be.

The best advice that I can give you is to consider therapy for your anxiety and depression issues. And don't hunt down a therapist who is just a pill pusher. I suggest Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, which is what I'm doing.

Also, something that has helped me a lot in recent months was learning to stay focused on the present. I spent a large amount of time worried about what COULD happen or what DIDN'T happen - I was either living in the past or preparing for the worst-case scenario future. Meanwhile what was going on right now was passing me by...

In fact a lot of my anxiety comes from excessive worrying. "Oh my god. What will this person think? I'm going to make a fool of myself, I know it. I need to prepare, to work harder." The worrying led me to become an insane perfectionist.

Things were so bad that when I tried to find positive thoughts to motivate myself to overcome obstacles in my life - I failed miserably. Positivity was something I didn't do well - if at all. What I discovered was that I only tried to be positive after I had already become negative, and I was just using positivity as a way to counter the negativity. Since by that point I was already starting to feel anxiety, it was pretty much a losing battle.

The only thing that has worked for me is telling myself to stop as soon as I caught it happening. The moment I catch myself starting to go negative, or I start to sense myself drifting off into the old familiar thoughts the first thing I do is say: "Stop." Like seriously, sometimes I even catch myself saying it out loud. I don't try to think positive. I just tell myself to stop, and remind myself that I don't think that way anymore. I try to focus my attention back on what I'm doing at that very moment.

Frequently, though, I find that when I'm at my worst is when I'm idle. That's when my mind has time to click and start to worry. So, one of the best things for me to do is to focus my attention and mind on something else. If there is literally nothing else for me to focus on, I try and focus on not thinking this way anymore... basically trying to drown out the critical voice in my head with other thoughts. I cut him off and shut him down.

When I'm in a more emotionally stable place, that's when I try to focus on something positive. Going positive for me has to be a preemptive strike against negativity. It has to be the first thing I think about, and if it isn't I go back to telling myself to stop.

Recently, I've had someone reaffirm this in my life. A direct quote from her, "The point of power is in the present moment. Don't look back. Don't look forward. Stay in the moment. ... Where you are is perfect. Whatever you're going through it's a life lesson that needs to be learned."

I think that's true. Life is full of hard and tough lessons that we have to learn one way or another. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger, as they say, and at the end of the day I think our struggles make us deeper and more rounded as individuals. I mean, I can look back over my life and some of the hardships I've faced and its clear at how they shaped me into the person I am today. And while I may not be as perfect as I'd like, I know at the end of the day that I'm a fairly good and decent person. I also realize that the greatest obstacle to my happiness and success isn't someone else - it's myself.

6. SecretSheik

Out Status:
    A few people
    First of all Hi!!! :smilewave

Second of all I am not the only one!!!! Man I thought I was the only one dealing with this kind of identity issues hear. Growing up sucked same for me, College I was kind of a nomad focusing on studies and when you have a learning disability crippling you now and again doesn't help much either and being socially awkward and you can't tell your folks why. >>;;;;

I'm 27....granted I'll be 30 in three years...BUT let me tell you this. Talking to someone IS GOOD!! Believe me when I say that. My brother actually told me about one that he once saw just to ease some anxiety and I swear that is all I need now and again. I'm see a therapist every few weeks just to ease my mind and you have no idea how great it is to get some of the stress off your back. Just having someone to vent for at least a good hour or so is the best thing in the world.

What I also suggest being from one person who also has anxiety/depression is to find a way to make use of your time. Find a routine that you can create and try to stick with it. Don't try to force yourself, if you forget one day that's no big deal, shrug it off and pick up where you left off. Don't over do it, overdoing it tends to lead to frustration and complications and higher anxiety and that's the last thing you need. Always find something to do...where it be walking thinking, drawing heck even thinking aloud because you're at least doing something....^^;;; You're hearing something. But that's a last resort right there. XD

As for turning 30, I've had those moments where I keep thinking OMG O_O my life is over I'm so OLD AHHH!!. *insert panic mode* STOP!! And think. It's not over. It's JUST Beginning when you think about it. Plus you did mention earlier you like to play video games and such right? Well look at it in the gaming sense. You are Level 30.

I hope anything I said, does make sense or at least helps out in some way. Stay strong!!:thumbsup:

7. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey there! And welcome to EC! :smilewave

First of all, I’m jumping on the bandwagon: I had to check if I hadn’t accidentally written that post myself. Obviously a lot of the finer details are different, but it does look pretty similar to my coming out (mainly focusing on study/research, only accepting it at around 25, taking my sweet time to do anything about it even after coming out, and having the feeling that there was indeed a massive amount of time wasted that I could have spent on socializing/meeting (gay) people)

Already a lot of good points were raised by the others, that I do agree with. If you're the over-worrying kind (I'm one of those too), then it's tempting to only see the negatives, but the truth is that you still have all the time you want/need to still achieve whatever goals you set in your personal or professional life. In fact, thirty is really the time when you start having a convenient routine, when you start having financial freedom, and the opportunity to really do whatever you want to do.

An anecdote that helped me deal with this: one of my friends is the opposite of me (and you). He came out when we were 17, wasted very little time in coming out to everyone else he knew, and then became a fixture in the local gay scene. Over the years, while I was studiously working at my engineering degree, and hoping I would still one day wake up straight, he would move from gay society to gay (and straight) bar, meeting people, dating guys, and generally living the traditional student lifestyle.
    Obviously, when I came out to him, comparing our lives was a pretty evident topic to discuss.
    …and it turned out he was jealous of me. About how I took my time, could do everything free of hghschool/college peer pressure, and how I could use the extra experience in life to avoid many of the dumb mistakes one would make at an earlier age.

Jealousy was very much not what I expected, and the grass is always greener on the other side (so he might not have been seeing the drawbacks), but whenever I feel like I wasted time, I think of that again: there are definite positives to coming out when you’re having a better idea of what you want in life, or when you have faced some other issues and hardships. You’re more likely to be level-headed in exploring new experiences. And as this thread attests, you’re far from the only one doing this in your late 20s.

I do much the same for my other anxieties, by the way. There are many examples of when I jumped to the worst possible conclusion, and where the situation turned out to be totally innocuous. (and in fact next to no examples where my fears were right). So when I find myself overanalyzing, I always try to remember one other similar situation where I thought something similar, and was totally wrong.
    It doesn’t perfectly alleviate the momentary panic, but it is better to focus on those than on “what if’s”.

In any case: I think you’re actually doing the right thing right now: trying to get out more, and taking baby steps towards being more social and meeting more people. It’s not a miracle solution, but it seems you already got way farther than you ever thought you would be 5 years ago.

And, as Lad123 says, it might also be worthwhile to see if there’s other venues you could try. Clubs are geared towards a younger crowd, but many people in their later 20’s develop other interests. So other gay societies or groups might have a crowd closer to your own age and interests.

And, of course, as you see, we have no lack of people in a similar situation here, so I hope you’ll stick around to post. I’m sure we can offer some help and friendship henever you need it!

8. scyld

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Wow, I'm overwhelmed by the responses! Thanks to all of you!

Everything you guys have said is positive, true, and helpful. However, my mind works overtime to self-sabotage, and I even take the positive, constructive things you say and make them negatives.

Anyway, I read all of your replies, but for now I hope it's ok if I just respond to Filip...

The difference is that I have been, by and large, quite unsuccessful. Whether or not it's the sole reason for my professional and academic struggles, clinical depression and anxiety took a major, major toll. It's still a daily struggle.

I'm still not too old to do something decent with my life, but I feel completely and utterly overwhelmed. My whole experience with my time as a PhD student has completely shot my confidence, and I honestly can say that I don't know if I'll even be able to hold down a full-time job after this.

It's been truly horrible, being a PhD student. I spent my whole time being completely anonymous in my department, maybe in large part because my lab was off-campus. I tried throwing myself into a research project that was handed to me by my adviser, but it was very poorly conceived, and I received very, very little support when I inevitably ran into difficulties. I nevertheless continued to struggle with it and for years just blamed myself while I made no progress and my adviser just allowed me to coast along.

As it turns out, my best friend was a bit similar, although his experiences took a far darker and more sinister turn, into the gay drug scene, primarily meth. His family's rejection of him being gay helped to push him towards this.

He spent his early to mid-twenties struggling with leaving the drug scene, moving towards something more positive in his life, and getting his family to accept him as a gay man.

But during that time he was still able to sow his wild oats, even though they were probably a bit too wild for his own good. Now he's buckling down and is fast-tracked towards a social sciences PhD in a department where everyone already loves him.

I feel like I only now have found the courage to get out at all and explore who I am. I feel utterly lost and dazed, and my professional life is completely up in the air as well.

I suppose it does me no good at all to compare myself to him or anyone else.

This is true.

Well, I disagree about gay clubs. There are plenty of people into their 30's who hang out there.

But I do think that I should look elsewhere as well. I just don't know what other venues there are for gay men to meet, and it's not for a lack of looking either. I suppose I should continue my search, but maybe only AFTER other uncertainties have been resolved...

Thank you!

9. rmf

rmf Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    if you're looking for someone to chat with feel free to write on my wall. :slight_smile:

10. olin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey--

We have somewhat similar stories. I am also a science PhD with a sucky thesis. Unfortunately, I didn't question my orientation until my 30s during my postdoc and didn't really come out until recently in my late 30s, after a long spurt of anxiety and depression.

Recently I went on sabbatical and I was back in a graduate school environment for 6 months. What I learned (or, more properly), is that almost everyone in graduate school doubts themselves and doesn't feel much hope for the future. I think that's just part of it, and part of the mismatch between the ideal world of science and the reality of it. It seems so noble at the time, but it's not what it turns out to be in the end!

You should take up mindfulness meditation; it's a great thing, and it has you focus on the present rather than the past. Anxiety is the intolerance toward uncertainty, and mindfulness is the acceptance of it, as well as the compassion toward oneself to accept it. I recommend The Mindful Way through Anxiety: Break Free from Chronic Worry and Reclaim Your Life. I really helped me a lot. I do hope you deal with the anxiety issues; that's what helped me come out, and I feel a lot better and far less hopeless than I did before.

There's nothing to be gained on beating yourself up on what you did on the past. I wish I had done things differently, but these are things I can't change. Focusing on what I can do now and how I am now really helps. Yes, it isn't easy, but I don't think it's necessarily easy for anyone. Mostly, I am focusing on creating the opportunities to meet people and planning what I can, and doing the best to accept the uncertainty life brings. There are plenty of single people in their 30s, 40s, and 50s, although it's harder outside of school to meet them, and you have to do more than in your 20s, and make the time to do more. Certainly it is possible I could be single forever, but without doing something, I will certainly be single forever.

And mostly, be patient with yourself, and be patient with others. Things will not change over night, but they will change.

11. Given To Fly

Hey Scyld, welcome to EC :slight_smile:

Your story sounds quite similar to mine in some ways - my teens and twenties sucked big time. But believe me, things can and do get better. I'm 31 now. Just a couple of months ago I was really struggling with my sexuality. Now, having embraced it finally, I have a social life for the first time in my life, a new circle of acquaintances who are rapidly becoming friends, and above all, high hopes for the future.

Sure, life now isn't without it's anxieties - like you I start worrying if I don't get quick replies to messages, but I'm learning to deal with that sort of thing.

Hang in there dude, trust me - if I can turn myself around, there's hope for anyone.

12. scyld

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I wish I could reply to everyone who has been kind enough to offer their help, but I can't, because all of you have been too generous :wink:

One thing I have to say is that I am not a perfectionist, but rather a "failureist" ("imperfectionist" doesn't really convey what I mean). I mean, by this, that I think I constantly set myself up for failure, expect failure, and, unsurprisingly, ultimately obtain failure.

This next part's important, so I feel the need to emphasize it:

I'm a self-sabotager par excellence. And it's not simply that I self-sabotage so well, as that's not so hard, but I hide the fact that it's self-sabotage from myself. I don't strive for perfection. I often just get away with doing just enough, because I expect nothing less than failure from life.

Wow. Well, congratulations, and I respect your courage!

I know a lot of people who say "But my situation is different!" are incorrect, but my situation really IS different:

I really think I'm going to end up with a master's degree that took me 7 to 8 years to get.

I have been in graduate school since the fall of 2004, and I have been a candidate since the fall of 2005.

I have done hardly enough research at all to write a PhD thesis. I know it really doesn't take as much as some would think to write a mediocre thesis, but more importantly my knowledge of the literature is just not up to scratch.

I honestly don't think I can pull writing a thesis that I could successfully defend.

Are there ANY other students that have failed so badly? And IF my efforts as a student were in vain, I could've at least enjoyed my life during this time, have gotten into great physical shape, and otherwise develop myself. But I didn't even do that. I almost feel as though I literally didn't live my these years of my life.

And in this case, I would've rather have lost half or more of my 40's, 50's, or 60's than this amount of my 20's.

You're right. It's so terribly hard though. However, I really, really appreciate your admonitions and message of hope.

Thanks! Your story does give me a ton of hope!

I wish there were a set of "It Gets Better" stories aimed to help older people.

---------- Post added 30th Sep 2012 at 02:45 PM ----------

It looks like there's a time limit to editing posts, so I want to add this to the above:

I know that any success or failure is a personal one. I don't want to blame "ethereal forces" or anyone else. But for throughout my entire life I have been calling myself a failure or telling myself I failed over and over again, and I have realized that this is completely useless.

And really, so much of this is tied to self-hatred from being gay and not being able to come out. My straight dad had problems with anxiety and depression that were extremely similar to mine, but the severity of mine in some ways are so much greater thanks primarily to this one difference.

13. Aldrick

When I went into therapy earlier this year in the first session my therapist asked if I thought of myself as a perfectionist. I told him no, because I had the exact same thought that you did. "Look at my life. I'm a giant failure, obviously. I'm far from perfect, and no matter how hard I try I can't even do something simple right. I'm destined to screw it up no matter how hard I try."

Just to be clear, perfectionism has nothing to do with doing things right or perfectly. There is no such thing as perfect, and because of that a perfectionist is always destined for failure. A perfectionist will NEVER achieve their goals or ambitions because their ambitions and goals are unrealistic.

Perfectionism has nothing to do with healthy striving for self-improvement. It is, at its core, an attempt to try and earn acceptance and approval from others.

Perfectionism is a self-destructive and addictive belief system that fuels this primary thought: If I look perfect, live perfectly, and do everything perfectly, I can avoid or minimize the painful feelings of shame, judgement, and blame.

It is self-destructive simply because there is no such thing as perfect. Perfection is an unattainable goal. Additionally, perfectionism is more about perception - we want to be perceived as perfect. Again, this is unattainable - there is no way to control perception, regardless of how much time and energy we spend trying.

It is addictive because when we invariably do experience shame, judgment, and blame, we often believe it's because we weren't perfect enough. So rather than questioning the faulty logic of perfectionism, we become even more entrenched in our quest to live, look, and do everything just right. Feeling shamed, judged, and blamed (and the fear of these feelings) are realities of the human experience. Perfectionism actually increases the odds that we'll experience these painful emotions and often leads to self-blame: It's my fault. I’m feeling this way because "I'm not good enough."

Perfectionism is a shield that we lug around thinking that it will protect us, when in fact it only leads us down a self-destructive path of depression, anxiety, addiction, and life-paralysis. (Life-paralysis is what happens when we're too afraid of taking the risk of putting ourselves out into the world, so we miss opportunities, and abandon dreams due to a fear of failing, making mistakes, and disappointing other people.) When a perfectionist fails at something, they're not just failing at that one thing - their entire self-worth is on the line. A failure at something therefore directly reflects on who they are as a person.

I think it's important to point this out, because a lot of people assume perfectionism is like some inner drive toward self-improvement or success. The complete opposite is true, and in fact research shows that perfectionism actually hampers success. The difference between perfectionism and healthy striving is this: healthy striving is self-focused - "How can I improve?", and perfectionism is other-focused - "What will they think?"

One of the most insidious ways it manifests, at least for me, is shading over and covering up things about myself that may be shameful, embarrassing, or something that may lead to me being judged in a negative light. As an example, asking for help or admitting that something is wrong is extremely hard for me. "They'll think I'm stupid if I ask for help with this, maybe I can do without it or figure it out on my own." "If I admit that what was said offended me, then they'll just think I'm a wimp and a crybaby. So I'm not going to say anything." "Soandso could probably do this, and if anyone knows that I can't do it as well then they'll know just how worthless I really am." "Nobody can ever find out about that. If they find out, then they'll discover just how big of a fuck up I really am."

As you can see, for me, perfectionism often means silence. It means I withdraw myself from other people, or at least keep them at a healthy distance, because I'm afraid that if they got really close they'd see just how "imperfect" that I really am. Of course, the reality is that I'm no more or less perfect than anyone else, but in my mind my failures and shortcomings become exaggerated to epic proportions and it ends up distorting how I view myself.

I'm not saying you're a perfectionist though - just to be clear. That's something you'll have to decide for yourself, or with a therapist or something. I just know that your reaction was the same as mine earlier this year, and after I realized what perfectionism actually was, it was like being slapped in the face. Everyone experiences some degree of perfectionism, though, some more than others. For me, it was crippling and debilitating.

14. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know you replied to my post earlier on, but many things got said in this thread in the space of a day. Quoting all of those would be messy and unreadable, so I'll offer my thoughts as they are.

In addition to Aldrick's post about perfectionism, I'd also like to cite my own tendency towards "impostor syndrome". (click the button to expand, it's a long story)

You see... I mostly live my days in the terrible knowledge that sometime, any minute now, people will figure out I'm really an abject failure. Not a failure in the sense of other people failing, no. Other people mess up, learn from it or fix it, and go back to being successful. They become better through failing.
    But I... really did nothing worthwhile in my life. My thesis was lots of research to produce a stack of paper to rot somewhere in a uni library. No one's going to use it, as it's really a big list of things that don't work at solving that particular question.
    At work, I get by purely on lucky guesses and otherwise jumping responsibility and doing the bare minimum, while I could be doing so much more!
    When meeting other people, I'm always expecting them to sometimes realise I'm not all that interesting, and that it's really pathetic to only start trying to be outgoing in my late 20's

Every time I have to do something, I really go in expecting that this will be the one to do me in, in which people will discover the abysmal depths of my failure and call me out on it. It always feels like putting my head on the chopping block.
    ...then only to be quite amazed when it's over that no such thing happens.

You'd think I'd eventually grow wise to the fact that if I really were a failure, people would have found out by now. That if my failure were so enormous as I think it is, even mediocrity would be outside my grasp. That people wouldn't stay friends with me if I wasn't good friend material.
    And that I'd sometimes stop always feeling like I'm barely "getting away with it".
    That the only possible conclusion is that I'm doing quite OK. That maybe I'm not a genius, but still quite good at what I do.

But while I am to the point of realising on an intellectual level that things aren't so bad, I'm still struggling with feeling it. Occasionally it even drives me to lament my failure at not seeing I'm not a failure :dry:

I guess being gay did have some part in it. "Being straight" was the one thing I can say I legitimately kept failing at! :lol:

To me, it seems you're doing the same thing: you're not really different from other people in your capacity for success. You're just prone to redefine success in ways that put it out of your grasp (ex post facto if need be), and to see any situation you're in only in the ways in which it can fail.
    And then I can say: "dude, you're a PhD student, which is an achievement in and of itself, and in any lab I knew about, taking 7 or 8 years for it was not exceptional at all!". I'd even be right. But you'd have to allow yourself to see it.

I do, actually, have a strategy to overcome this. It is, in a way, close to Olin's mindfulness meditation: I try to completely focus on the present, and pretend the past never existed. I assume the world was made five seconds ago (allowing for pre-loaded memories of past events). I just came into existence, with some problems I have to solve, but I'm otherwise not at fault or to blame for them. All past experiences are just a library to find solutions in.
    And quite often, that's when I find the courage to say "okay, let's get this show on the road!"

Actually, in the case of my thesis, it did involve putting my head on the chopping block. I talked to my supervisor and said: "hey, I know I'm not exactly in good shape here. Too little data, too broad in my literature, and my chapter on materials and methods has omissions you could drive a truck through. So I really think we should schedule a couple of hours to work through this together: where we are and where we need to go to make this a defensible thesis!". Turned out to do more good than trying to "hide" my "failures" ever did. She was perfectly happy, apparently, at my desire to move onwards instead of chewing over and over on the data I had. Wasn't exactly a revolutionary thesis (and as mentioned above, I retroactively consigned it to "failure" afterwards anyway), but it got the job done.

Yeah, it's a struggle. And it takes time and some discipline to force your mind out of the failure obsession. I can say that in the span of a couple of years, I did improve dramatically in that respect, though.

So: try it sometimes: you're a space alien beamed down into the body of Scyld. you can use his assets and his memories to hammer out a solution. Go for it! :icon_wink

As if this post isn't long enough: thoughts on the "gay front" of things.

Well hey! Seems they don't believe it's only for the really young ones! If they find ways to have fun there, maybe you will as well!

I am thinking that if there isn't anything you can immediately see geared towards gay men (besides clubbing).. then you might want to do some other hobby and just be out and open about your sexuality while doing so. I met precisely all of my gay friends in the pursuit of other hobbies. It's slower (only one in ten of the guys you meet that way will be gay), but at least you can be sure you'll have shared interests (conversely: in a gay club, 100% is gay, but you might only share interests with 10% of those).

15. scyld

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks Aldrick! I suppose then that I am a "perfectionist": I want only to be perfect at everything. But rather than even try to do well at a given activity or task, I either hold back or don't put in a good-faith effort at all. I do this because I feel drained and de-engergized most of the time. But I think this feeling is because I'm terrified of failure. And this feeling works into my plans for self-sabotage, because if I don't even try, then at least I won't have made a fool out of myself by trying and failing. And I think it's inevitable that I'll always fail.

Haha, I liked the part about "failing at being straight."

But thanks. I definitely relate to "impostor syndrome." "Being found out" is something I have feared for so long a time, especially as a graduate student who had to watch first-year students getting published, while I was over-due to graduate and floundering, going nowhere with my research.

I suppose it's inevitable that, to some degree, I will be "found out" at my thesis defense, when I present less-than-publishable results as the bulk of my thesis. And that's assuming I'll even be able to write a defendable thesis at all. But I guess it doesn't matter.

Exactly.

I may only get my masters after that length of time. I suppose, however, that I won't be the first to have achieved only a Masters after that period of time.

It's hard to do that. But I have to work hard at it :wink:

It's hard for me to communicate with my adviser. Obviously I have to be.

However, I'm trying to be candid with him with what I have and what I haven't. And I agree that I have to overcome my impulse to hide :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I really and truly enjoy dancing, so it's not hard for me to find fun at clubs :wink:

Also, if clubs in the US were only inviting for "twinks," then in the US that would mean something like a 4 year age range for club-goers. Most nights, the clubs are only open to those that can legally drink, which means 21+ ("college nights" are very infrequent). The "prime clubbing" age in the US is probably like 21 to 35 or 36ish. But there are even older men there too.

Also I agree that it's probably a good idea to try to engage in hobbies while being open. I took a course in improvisational theater that was fun, even if I didn't really make any lasting connections there (nor met any gay men... one may have been but I never found out). I was a little too closed off from others, however: I didn't really talk much with others outside the class. I need to change that.

Well thanks again!

#15 scyld, Oct 2, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2012