1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you think? Is this wrong?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ThePinkFedora, Sep 29, 2012.

1. ThePinkFedora

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Ok, so I have this really good straight female friend. In fact, she's my best friend in the whole wide world. We've known each other for about 16 years now and she was one of my first and biggest supporters when I came out as a teenager. We both stay quite busy during the week with our careers, but every weekend we do something together. Sometimes we go to a fun little local restaurant (we live in the South and have LOTS of those), sometimes we go on an all day shopping event and sometimes we'll just drive around and make random stops. But whatever we do, it's always a blast for both of us.

All that groundwork laid...she has taken to calling me her "Gay Husband." She's been doing that for the past few years and of course I take it as a term of endearment. Her ex-husband (and daughter's father) and her current boyfriend are friends with me and they know I'm just the gay best friend, so it isn't them. But some of my friends and some of her friends say she shouldn't call me that, because it's wrong on so many levels and debases us both and all this.

If you made it all the way here...what do you think? Is calling me her Gay Husband a bad thing?

2. King

King Guest

If it doesn't bother you then I'd say don't worry about it! I for one HATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATE
    the idea of being referred to as somebody's "gay" anything, but that's just because I don't like to be viewed like that. If you're okay with it, and she's okay with it, then ignore everybody else. :slight_smile:

3. MichaelB

Yeah, I'm with King. Being refered to, by anyone, as 'gay -something' instantly makes me feel like I'm an object or pet, but what ever floats your boat.. >.>

#3 MichaelB, Sep 29, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  4. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't see anything wrong with it if you don't mind being called that. Everyone obviously knows nothing is going on between you guys. And like you said it's more of a term of endearment. I think it's perfectly fine.

5. ThePinkFedora

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thanks for the replies. To give a little more perspective, it is just a term of endearment and I know she's joking when she says it. It's really more something she'll say to tease me and we both know it's meant to be lighthearted and fun. Like I tell everyone when it comes up, I am a man who happens to be gay, not a gay man. I have a whole other life and plenty of things that make me who I am outside of the fact I am just attracted to men and not women.