1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I hate it...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ItsAllConfusing, Sep 29, 2012.

1. ItsAllConfusing

I hate it when I'm hanging out with friends and they start talking about which celebrities are hot, who they want to sleep with, etc... I just sit there quiet, nod my head every once in a while. I had the perfect opportunity to say something to them today too. Two of my friends/roommates got in the car after eating and my friend turned to me and asked why I always get mad when people say "no homo". Like someone will say "Yea it was really hard(talking about a bed or test or something)", the follow it with no homo. I just made up some excuse and changed the subject. I chickened out, again. I think I am more mad that I probably won't get another perfect opportunity like that.

2. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    While many opportunities have presented itself, you weren't ready to come out to them. I think coming out to them should be done in a setting where you feel more comfortable. I came out to my mom while she was driving, which probably wasn't the best idea, we could've been in an accident. Although, she took the news quite well, she was really surprised. The ideal setting could take pressure off of you and them, as well, just in case their reactions are not what you hope for. I dislike that expression ”No Homo”--it's derogatory and I often correct people when they say it. I know they mean it as a joke, but the next time they say it, simply tell them that you'd prefer not to hear it. That could then lead you into telling them that you are indeed a homosexual man.

When I came out to my friend, I made her guess what I wanted to tell her, which is pretty funny. It took her forever, but once she did everything turned out fine. I was actually with her and her family in another state visiting her relatives. I didn't imagine her reacting badly, but I could have been walking home :grin: And later that night, she confided in me that liked girls, as well. So, I was nervous for no reason, but good luck and let me know how it goes :slight_smile:

#2 pinklov3ly, Sep 29, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  3. ameliawesome

i'm out and i still hate conversations about hot celebrities. i could be totally wrong, of course, but it seems like there's a chance your friends think you may be gay and are trying to figure it out for sure. if that's true, then it seems that they're comfortable with it. do you know your friends to be hateful towards gay people at all? when "no homo" first happened a few of my friends would say it, but not because they're homophobic. they just said it because it was supposed to be funny.