1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What should I do?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by IrishLad93, Sep 29, 2012.

1. IrishLad93

I have figured out that there is a LGBT support group literally just up the road from where I live, but Im way too nervous to go. Im horrible with situations outside of my comfort zone and I'm shy... the thought of sitting in a circle, introducing myself and explaining my situation is nauseating... but on the other hand I think I really need to put myself out there to meet people as I'm pretty isolated atm.

Ive got PTSD from my upbringing so my levels of anxiety are sky high and the thought of just saying "im going to go to this group" is overwhelming. I don't know what to do! :bang:

2. J Snow

I went to a trans support group despite not knowing anyone and being incredibly scared and anxious. I met a ton of friends and it honestly has been one of the most positive experiences I've ever had. I think it would be worth facing your fear to go.

3. halfemptycloset

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Unless you're putting yourself in imminent danger, GO! There is power in numbers! I don't know about other countries, but we wouldn't have ANY gay rights at all in the U.S. if LGBT didn't attend meetings. :slight_smile:

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! In overcoming your fears in going in, and participating, do you have a supportive friend with whom you could go with?

One thing to keep in mind is that even though you might be sitting in a circle and will be asked to say something about yourself, you still have control over what you are going to say. You don't need to share your coming out story/experiences thus far or anything really about you, if you don't feel comfortable.

One very simply introduction line could be: I'm [name] and I thought I'll check the support group out and try to learn more about it."

Also, remember that most of the people in attendance have gone through what you are going through. It is also possible that you are not going to be the only newbie on the block, and that there might be someone else who has just joined in as well. Try to take some comfort in that.

5. Jared

I know exactly how you feel. My school's lab group has its first meeting of the year in a few days and I'm scared shitless about going and like you I find the idea of going is nauseating and my already high anxiety level is even higher now. I'm not going to know anybody and I'm basically announcing to everyone there that I'm gay and that's a very scary thing to do. But I'm making myself go and I think you should go to yours, we'll never get over our shyness if we keep sticking to ourselves and never go out of our comfort zones.

6. IrishLad93

@J Snow, halfemptycloset, Mirko, Cornella93 : Yeah, you're all very right (and I think I know that, but im making excuses!) I think I will just go even just to check it out and if I find it absolutely terribly terrifying I can always say "at least I did that".

@Cornella93. Yeah it sucks! But you're definitely right that in facing fears is the best step to take. Good luck with your school's lab group btw :slight_smile:

Thanks

7. Jared

That supposed to say lgbt group not lab group, curse you iOS auto correct :bang::bang:

@IrishLad93 Good luck with your group, I hope it goes well. And like you said even if you don't like it at least you'll have gone and that is a huge step.

8. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can only encourage you to go. Before you go in, take a deep breath, and remind yourself that it is going to work out just fine! You can do this! :slight_smile:

9. IrishLad93

LoL. Yeah I thought you'd made a typo (same thing drives me crazy on my iPhone!)
    Thanks! :newcolor:

Yeah, still pretty nervous :icon_eek: Its every second Monday so this Monday coming... Your right, in the grand scheme of things its silly to worry about and if anything it will be of good help :slight_smile: Thanks for the support!!

10. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey just a thought but sometimes if you have any contact details for the group you could ring them or send them an email first, sometimes its the case that someone can meet you before the group and walk in with you or alternatively they will at least be expecting you when you do go in.