1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So confused about... Everything. I feel scared and alone.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by hopelessrose, Sep 30, 2012.

1. hopelessrose

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm 14 years old and female. Up until the age of roughly 12, I was the spitting image of my mother and regurgitated all of her opinions when asked. I became close friends with two people, both of who are very liberal--I'll call them A and K. K used to regurgitate her parents' opinions too until she met A, and then A taught her to be herself. K introduced me to A and the two of them did the same to me.
    I started to realize how liberal and humanitarian my opinions are, vs. both of my parents' very conservative and traditional views. Along with this I realized that I was not straight. And that I also was not bi. Nor was I homo. And definitely not asexual. So what was I?
    I told K and A that I was questioning. K is questioning as well. She thinks maybe pansexual or panromantic asexual, but she's not sure. A is a lesbian.
    Now I've started dressing more scene, listening to CitizenRadio, taking a stand on mental disorders and psychology. Instead of acting like a hyper extrovert like my mom, I've become what I'm more comfortable being--introverted. Shy. (Sometimes very sensitive, almost the opposite of my mom.) My mom yells at me a lot about my hair, about my clothes, and about my music. She claims that "I'm not really introverted, shy or sensitive, the psychology is depressing me, and I didn't act this way until I met A!"
    I'm Greek Orthodox Christian. Born and raised, and absolutely sure that I definitely DO actually have those views and was not just raised that way. However, my brother recently came out as an atheist to my parents, which was a disaster.
    Whenever my mom meets someone bi, homo, etc. she always talks about how dirty and wrong it is. She says a lot of the time that "bisexual people are just whores who go around with whoever they want", or "are very confused with emotional disorders." And it kills me to hear her say that.
    I have a boyfriend who I love very much, and he knows about me questioning. So do A and K, and about 2 other very close friends of mine, and my brother.
    But I can't tell my parents because I know what they would do. They would send me to therapy for it, scream a lot, my mom would probably cry, I'd never be allowed to talk to K and A again, and my brother would be blamed for "poisoning me with his atheism!" I don't really blame my parents, I just know I can't come out to them. They think they're right because they were raised that way and are set in their ways. I'm also scared of going to Hell now...
    I'm not bi but I'm not straight either. I usually fantasize about girls sexually, and if I ever watch... dirty things, lesbian is definitely more affective physically, but straight makes me feel a bit turned on, too, not just lesbian, even though that makes me significantly moreso.
    However, I can not see myself dating a girl. It's not that I'm scared of it being an option--I just can't see it happening. I can only see myself dating guys.
    So basically, I want to date guys, but I'm attracted to girls and guys, and sexually I prefer girls over guys even though I would like both.
    Does this make me a heteroromantic bisexual, or what?

2. J Snow

Hey, welcome to EC =)

Its certainly possible to be a heteroromantic bisexual, but from my perspective, I would assume you just don't like the idea of being in a relationship with a woman because its new and scary to you. I'm assuming you are relatively young (high school) and you have been raised all your life to imagine your future being with a guy, just like it was for me being raised to picture the typical cisgender heterosexual life with a girl. The idea of being with a guy really weirded me out,at least until I actually tried it and liked it.

I don't think you have any reason to worry about going to hell for being gay. I'm grew up in a very religious environment. My parents sent me to Catholic school for 13 years. While I don't really identify with the religion anymore, I don't think it makes sense for God to make you gay/bi/whatever, and not embrace it. If anything I think that God would admire the strength to be as you truly are.

Now, I'm not saying that you will only be happy with a girl, but I think that should you and your boyfriend end up splitting up at some point for whatever reason, you should remain open to the idea. Many people say they are homosexual or bisexual, but heteroromantic only to have a homosexual relationship and realize they actually do like it. Basically I'm just saying don't assume you wouldn't like what you haven't tried.

Your family is a rough situation. I know because I have the same kind of family. You are lucky to have a supportive brother and friends. If you don't feel ready to tell your parents then don't. Only you know when you are ready. Its always nice to tell them sooner rather than later because the more time they have, the sooner they may come around. However, if you think they may send you to "repairitive therapy" or take away your support you have in place, I would advise against it until you are less dependent on them.

I hope everything works out (*hug*)

3. Colours

I can tell you one thing about not seeing yourself dating girls, despite your attraction towards them (if I may put it that way). I have felt the same way for years, if not my whole life, but some months ago when I actually fell in love with a guy, it wasn't a problem. It helped me see that I do in fact have a thing for guys, and now I've dated one (it's over now), I can picture myself dating other guys.

Just thought I'd share my experience with you with regards to my sexuality... Like J Snow said, it's probably just because it's new and scary. Not trying to tell you you definitely are into girls, but let's just say that in your case, you never know if you never try.

4. spectrumsigner

Whatever you are, you are loved and supported here.

Also, how old did you say you were? 14? Well, there's definitely no law that says you have to have something as complicated as sexual orientation or gender identity figured out by age 14!!

I will be 21 this week, and while I am secure in my identity as a lesbian, I still don't have a lot of stuff figured out. Heck, I still haven't decided what I'm eating for lunch today! :wink:

In all seriousness, though, you are very young, and you have lots of time to figure out all of these things and many other things as well about the awesome, beautiful person you will grow up to be! So don't rush it. It's okay to not know or not have a label for who you are.

5. hopelessrose

Out Status:
    A few people
    @spectrumsigner
    Thank you for saying I'm loved and supported--it's really nice to know that I can talk about anything here.
    I know that I don't have to have it figured out, I just want to... More of because even if I'm not consciously thinking about it I feel like it's always weighing on the back of my mind, you know? It would be like a load off my shoulders if I could figure it out and be sure. But I know I probably won't get it completely figured out for awhile yet, as love and sexuality and all of that you have to be very mature before you fully develop...

@Colours
    Were you just... not attracted to girls romantically, or could you not see it? It's hard for me to explain it... I've never had a crush on a girl, I've never wanted to date a girl, but if I get in really close proximity or something I'm as sexually attracted as I would be to a guy... Romantically girls are kind of almost a turn off, rather than something I just can't see. This may change, maybe my brain is trying to process it piece by piece instead of all at once, but currently I think I would identify as heteroromantic...

@J Snow
    If me and my boyfriend break up I'll try to remain open until I figure it out. ^_^ Thank you for wishing me well with all of this. (*hug*)

This may sound like a really stupid question to you guys but I'm, obviously, new to the whole questioning thing and figuring things out and haven't really opened up to anyone this much about it before, so... Is there a way to kind of... not really evaluate it, but for lack of better word we'll use that one? Like maybe questions you could ask yourself to help you figure it out or something... I don't know. It's probably not that simple. I feel like if it were that simple every questioning person in the world would have it figured out in less than a month. :lol: Ignore me if that's as stupid as I think it is.