1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do I do??!!!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Alexander69, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Alexander69

I dont know what to do I really feel like a smoke:bang:! I quit for 4 months what do I do? :bang:

2. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What you do is not smoke. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I've recently quit myself. It pretty much just boils down to not buying any and to resist smoking someone else's. It's just all in our head. What helps me is to think about how bad they are and they have absolutely 0% positive traits. They are nothing but bad. You've gone 4 months, why start back now? Then all that time will have just been for nothing. :wink:

3. Alexander69

OMG I know but I feel sick like I'm craving like mad!!! OMGG

4. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    *slaps* Alexander. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Go chew on some gum or put a toothpick in your mouth. Lol Also have you ever looked into an electronic cigarette? They are actually really satisfying.

5. Alexander69

Lol really? I went cold turkey when I quit and I haven't craved in a longggggg time! And now it hit me and I'm like shaking yo! And my parents don't even know I smoke :O LMAO

6. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hmm, maybe try to remember what frame of mind/head space you were in when you decided to quit, what made it click at that moment, and try to get into the same thoughts etc... ?
    For some people it's relatively easy for others it's really tough (I think some brains are more prone to addiction in whatever form than others), took me a few tries before getting it right - 5 yrs now. What I eventually figured out was that when I was doing it for external reasons (like supporting a friend who wanted to quit as well) it only worked short term. YMMV.

7. Pexetta

I'm on day 20, and what keeps me going is thinking that if I smoke again, that first cigarette comes with an unavoidable choice: either carry on smoking till I die, or go through the first three days of stopping again.

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The desire to smoke is motivated by the anxiety you feel for the feelings that are finally starting to come up, that you've numbed forever.

So remind yourself that you're taking important steps to understand yourself and love yourself for who you are, and that smoking is not a part of who you want to be.

And... to deal with the shaking and feelings (which are symptoms of anxiety, and which are normal, given all that you've been thinking about over the past few days), stop what you're doing, lie down, and take some slow, deep breaths (about 3 or 4 seconds breathing in, and the same breathing out). This will basically force your body to reset how it is responding to what you're thinking, and have a pretty rapid calming effect on you. That should reduce or eliminate the anxious feelings, and, with it, the cravings for cigarettes.

9. lwp08reh

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Babe, no offence but smoking is what poorly educated people do. If you want to be rich and beautiful, don't smoke!

10. Pexetta

And another thing, if you last smoked more than about 3 days ago, you won't really enjoy that first cigarette, however much you think you will. If you've done more than 3 days you've got no nicotine withdrawal to satisfy, it's all just habit, or smoke and mirrors if you'll excuse the expression.

11. ameliawesome

i feel you, man. sometimes it helps me to pretend i'm smoking. like i'll seriously visualize a cigarette in my hand (or use a prop, like a pen) and i inhale/exhale as if i were smoking it. if you have a vivid imagination then maybe this will help you, too.