1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Haircut defines me?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by CierraCadaver, Oct 1, 2012.

1. When I cut my hair, so many people made fun of me. People who have seen me post on threads know that I have no problem with words like "fag" or "dyke" but, when it gets to the point where I am walking down the hallway (a freshman girl at the time) and senior guys are pushing me and coming up behind me whispering "dyke bitch" in my ear, it kind of hurts and is scary. Did anybody else have this problem?

2. Calico

Well, it's been found in a study that gay girls who look more butch are more likely to cop homophobic BS than femmes, which honestly is stupid.
    When I moved to high school this year, I already had short hair (plus I was completely in the closet) so I didn't really get teased for it. However, a lot of people didn't understand why I have such short hair,almost like that made me crazy or weird or something like that.

#2 Calico, Oct 1, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  3. BNQ2012

There seem to be some people who assume that girls/women with short hair are gay even if they aren't. It is incredibly stupid. When I thought I was straight, I found that those during those periods of my life where I wore my hair short, people questioned my sexuality. It was never threatening as it seems to be in your case, but I did notice it.

I think that, in general, women who defy or don't fit into so-called norms of femininity are seen as a threat and tend to catch flak.