1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to understand bisexuality

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Gravity Defyer, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Gravity Defyer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey there! I recently met this guy and I really feel I got a chance to be in a relationship with him.

I'm gay, but he's Bi.

I've never quite understood how being Bi is, and I really want to undestand.

My biggest fears/questions are as follow:

-Do Bi people like guys and girls at the same time? Do they go back and forth?

-Isn't it easier for them to cheat since they feel attracted to both genders?

-Is there a chance, after years of a relationship, that he tells me "sorry I like girls?"

-Won't I have to worry about him checking out hot boys AND girls?

I don't intend to come across as intolerant, I simply consider myself ignorant in the topic.

If you have any input you'd like to make about being Bi please enligthen me.

Thanks!

2. mm11

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I think everyone is a little different, but I know for me I just consider it as a "I could go either way." I'm more attracted to women, but there are certainly still guys I'm attracted to as well. With that though, I'd never be in a relationship with both a guy and a girl at the same time. Any relationship I pursue regardless of gender would be monogamous.

I think it's definitely best to talk with your guy and make sure you're both on the same page. Like I said, I'm sure everyone is a little different.

3. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Are you asking whether bi people are attracted to both at the same time, or whether they actually date/have relationships with both at the same time? If the former, of course they can't control who they are attracted to. But bi people don't have both a boyfriend and a girlfriend at the same time.

Bi people are no more likely cheat than gay or straight people...why would they be? If someone is going to cheat on you, he is going to cheat whether it's with a guy or with a girl.

Perhaps a small chance, if he was just confused all that time. But the same could happen with someone who identifies as gay deciding he really is straight after all.

Sexuality can be somewhat of a fluid thing...at times I've thought I was bi, other times I've decided I'm just gay. But that shouldn't be a concern to have in the middle of a relationship.

You'd have to 'worry' about any partner you have checking out hot people, regardless of male or female...but don't assume your bi partner is attracted to every guy and every girl. That's like the way straight people assume a gay man is attracted to every single guy he meets. It's just silly.

4. LauraMarie

No even though we do like boys and girls most bisexuals lean towards one side for instance I prefergils. When we like someone we only like that person we won't randomly flip flop we look at personalitys more the gender (atleast I do) the're is always an option to cheat it just depends I you hve self control bisexuals arnt sex deamons always wanting someone new lol xD we're just normal people:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: just because he likes both girls and boys dosent mean he will check out every single guy or girl that walk by just like every lesbian won't check out every woman. No he won't randomly switch back to being straight. Just like a m t f won't switch back after years and say oh I'm. Male again! You hav nothing to worry about if he really likes you and wants you u'll have him:slight_smile: he won't flip flop on you and he should stay faithfull o.o

5. pandas

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Indeed, not everybody feels the same, but I think it's safe to say that a lot of bisexuals are monogamous.

Generally, like Gravity Defyer says, I could go either way, but I can also sense myself going back and forth like you said. Sometimes I have a larger attraction to women than men or vice versa, however...I am in a monagomous relationship with a guy. When you date someone, you don't stop feeling attraction toward other people. There are different types of attraction that dictate each and every one of your relationships, including your platonic ones.

I see hot girls/hot guys everywhere...but I'm not in love with them the way I love my boyfriend and I am certainly not emotionally connected to them. What matters is not who your partner is attracted to, but who they are loyal and connected to...which is probably you! :slight_smile: