1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I be sure that this guy might be interested in me?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by PowerGuyG4, Oct 1, 2012.

1. PowerGuyG4

PowerGuyG4 Guest

I just joined. If this is the wrong forum for this thread, then please have mercy and correct me if I'm wrong!

I have this guy in my Religion class and who is also on my bus. His first name is the same as my middle name, just to put that out there. Anyways...

He sits in the desk behind me in Religion, and he will often put his feet forwards and they'll touch my feet as well and does not remove them as quickly as other people would. He also does this pretty much every class and does it several times per class. Also, when he'll rest his head on the desk while watching the front of the classroom, he does it in such a way that he is quite close to me. And does not move, sometimes I can even feel him breathing! Since I like him quite a bit, I do not try to look over at him so I don't arouse any suspicion especially considering how shy I am. So therefore, I do not notice if he looks at me occasionally. I'm also unaware of other signs if any!

Plus, I never (Except for one other) see him talking to anyone. Every day, he gets off the bus after school with this other girl who I have reason to believe is his sister. When he is on the bus he very rarely ever talks to her aside from if they get a seat together, in which case, they don't do anything touchy or romantic and just do basic small-talk. One listens to music while the other stares out the window.

When he is on the bus in the morning, I can't get a view of him so I don't know if he's looking at me, with a couple of occasions where I caught a small glimpse of him looking at me. I stand at the front of the bus in the morning and he's at the middle of the bus (since it's a city bus) and both of us are standing since there aren't any seats left. But it doesn't make sense to me as to why he stands in the morning, and here's why:

After school, he gets off at a fairly early stop. Since this stupid bus I take does two routes (Mine being the second route, both are very close to each other) he gets off before the bus enters the first route which is Royal Oak. The road his stop is on divides Royal Oak from Rocky Ridge (Rocky Ridge is mine) and he heads on this path towards Rocky Ridge. So, since the bus does two routes, that means the bus is very crowded.

Now, in the morning, I don't believe he should be standing considering how early his stop is when compared to mine which is late. And it's always the same place too. He could easily get a seat, but he never does in the morning.

In the afternoons, he stands in the same place as usual in the mornings, which is behind my seat. To clarify things, my seat that I have become territorial over a couple years ago (Yes, I'm very territorial over bus seats) is the last of the 'front row' seats and is directly in front of the rear doors, meaning this seat I sit at is on the right of the bus when looking forwards. He stands behind that, or at least about a foot to a couple of feet away, standing forwards.

So this positioning makes it impossible for me to look back at him without making things apparent or awkward. So I can't tell :\

Please help me, I'm wondering what is going on here. I do hope he likes me because I like him and think he's very handsome :slight_smile:

But if he doesn't, then oh well.

By the way, he is not effeminate at all, just like me, and therefore, no one knows of my true sexuality. (But I do not know his personality and am waaay too shy to talk to him)

2. SkyDiver

Awww, this is so cute! Totally reminds me of how I feel when I have crushes. :slight_smile: I'm going through one right now, actually, but yours sounds alot more interested than mine.

Your last sentence answers my question.

TALK TO HIM! :grin: What's the worst that could happen? What's the best that could happen? Get a friendship going! It sounds like he may be at least interested in getting to know you, and you never know where things may lead from there!

3. PowerGuyG4

PowerGuyG4 Guest

Thanks for the response.

He might but at the moment I can not be for sure. Since I am so shy I won't go and just talk to him. I'd feel very awkward and feel as if I would scare him off. Plus, I'd get extremely nervous and I'd faint in the process because of how shaky and uncontrollably short my breaths become. Plus I have an active history of fainting, so my friends came up with the nickname 'fainter', which I do not mind.

So I would need an excuse to talk to him. I just can't go and say 'hi' because to me it feels weird and I'd most likely faint and it is not a fun or funny experience despite not remembering it and realizing what happened a few seconds later due to the awful after-feeling.

4. Kcaz12345

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Awe this is so very sweet I kno exactily how you feel. I think that you just need to say hi and get to kno him. It will work trust me but just try to be cool you kno stay cool and DON'T FAINT or try not too

5. kestrel

If you can't catch your breath to stay conscious
    maybe you have bigger problems to worry about
    than if some boy who sometimes breathes on your arm
    and kicks your soles
    is interested in you or not.

How do you make friends? You said you have some. It's the same concept. You can't be sure of anything unless it comes from his mouth directly and there's no way to engage him with willful thinking.

To seem cool and sightly aloof
    "Don't we ride the same bus?"
    Gets them every time.

6. wc1

wc1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You cant be sure, thats why the initial stages are so exciting.

7. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, you do share the same class. So there's an excuse right there! Something like "Hey! I know we never talked before, but since you're in my religion class, I thought I'd introduce myself: I'm PowerGuyG4!" (please do use your real nae instead of PowerGuyG4, obviously :wink:)

Doubly so if you have a test or an assignment you could bring up. You could even do that one as if you already got past the introductions: "Phew, I'm not sure how I did on that test! How did it go for you?"

If you feel unsure, do practice it in a mirror beforehand. Also, if you're afraid of fainting, try to pick a moment when you're sitting down.

Talking to new people is stressful, but I do think it beats not saying anything and wondering whether he could have become a friend...

8. PowerGuyG4

PowerGuyG4 Guest

Thanks for the response, but how would I even know if he's even gay in the first place? I decided not to today since I was sick and I neglected to eat breakfast and pack my lunch so I just left him at that. I knew I'd faint or worse so I just didn't.

But by excuse, I'd kinda like ideas along the lines of 'more natural'. I'm still to shy to ask how he did on a test so I'd need something easier. I'm also not really willing to just go up and say "hi".

Any ideas?

9. PowerGuyG4

PowerGuyG4 Guest

I will try that the next time I have Religion class. I won't be having it for a few days due to some weird events at my school that involves having 3 looong presentations on the day I would normally have Religion class. Or I can also say "aren't you in my Religion class" and I could probably kick up conversation from there since I was in that same class last year but he wasn't there last year. I also think that he's new to the school since I don't remember seeing him on the bus but his face does ring a bell.

10. PowerGuyG4

PowerGuyG4 Guest

And yeah, I do have minor health problems, if that's what you're talking about haha.

I was severely underweight but now I'm being treated for it since it's some kind of chemical problem or something. Plus it is very easy to make me faint, that's another problem I have. But other than that, not trying to be self-centred, but I do think I'm a bit attractive, but I find this guy so much more attractive. His voice to me I find is soft and deep.

11. kestrel

Don't worry about being self centered,
    it's great that you can call yourself attractive,
    and that you really think so is what matters.
    I bet you're great. Just stay calm.
    Hah

Really, you have a class together, it's incredibly easy to start conversations about classes, assuming you all pay attention.
    Even if you don't, maybe the teacher sucks,
    and you'll both get a good laugh over it, or something.
    Persistence usually pays off.

12. PowerGuyG4

PowerGuyG4 Guest

So, any ideas?

13. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, what you're essentially asking here is if there's a way of skipping the awkward "getting to know you" stage, and just skipping to the point where you know his sexuality, and are comfortable chatting with him.

And... I regret to tell you, but such a method doesn't exist. There are steps between "strangers" and "comfortable chatting", and they're not optional. One person is going to have to step up to the other and offer that first "hi".

Since you can't force him to do that, you'll either have to do that yourself, or keep waiting.

Also: there is nothing more natural than two guys sharing a class talking about that class. If there is only one, singular thing you know about him, it's that he was there all those hours with you, listening to the same things, doing roughly the same work.

Maybe you could do the inverse exercise: let's assume you could MAKE him approach you. What should he do to make you more comfortable? What topics would he need to talk about and how would he need to act? Maybe that could give you some other clues how to approach him.

14. PowerGuyG4

PowerGuyG4 Guest

Basically what I wanted to do was to try and find out without having to introduce myself basically to spare myself the trouble of getting to know him if he isn't gay and/or interested in me.

I don't know how I'd introduce myself or get some kind of excuse. I almost had it this week since it coincides with a holiday that we have. Unfortunately the opportunity didn't show itself due to me not thinking of it on Monday and Tuesday and me being sick on Wednesday and Thursday and us not having Religion on Friday. I would've asked him if the coming Monday was a holiday and sort of picked it up from there, but then again, I physically wasn't able to. I could've done it on the bus, but asking him would make it obvious that I want to talk to him because I had a friend sitting next to me that he'd likely know as being my friend.

Anyways, today I just realized that I think he may be trying to be quick to get to classes and get off the bus - just as I do. But I still walk significantly faster. Which I find weird as he didn't do that before. Also, today on the bus, he literally leaned against the seat I was sitting that as he was doing something on his phone. I was talking to and looking at my friend next to me so I was able to see him with my peripheral vision. It's almost like he leaned in to see what I was doing on my iPod or hear what I was talking to with my friend. Or at least grab the attention of either me, my friend or both of us.

Also, a few days before that, he and his *sister* sat in the seat in front of me and he seemed to be unusually talkative to her which isn't normal. If he gets a seat in the afternoon, it's usually next to me and one seat up, and I notice that he only makes small talk. That time, since I was listening to my music, I couldn't hear what was going on. Not only that, but when he turned to look at her, it almost seemed as if he was trying to look at me through peripheral vision. Also that, he was smiling too, as if something was interesting or funny. I do the similar thing around him too...

#14 PowerGuyG4, Oct 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2012
  15. PowerGuyG4

PowerGuyG4 Guest

Do you think he may really be interested in me? I don't know, but it's starting to feel like it to me. It's almost like I've got the feeling that he is into me but I'm not sure.

16. MagicMadman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    How about 'accidently' bump into him? You apologise and start talking about religion class..... WHAM Your friends

Hope it helps.

:grin:

17. PowerGuyG4

PowerGuyG4 Guest

I could try. But I rarely ever see him in the hallways during class change or lunchtime, because at lunch time, we can go wherever we want.

18. PowerGuyG4

PowerGuyG4 Guest

So...Any ideas? Please?

19. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I'd say that even if turns out not to be gay, or gay and not interested romantically, it pays to get talking. The only way to get comfortable with talking to people is to try and talk to more people. This sounds like he could at the very least be a good friend. Talking to people has more benefits than ending up romantically involved, after all.

But, OK, let's take it more cautious one step. There is no way of finding out whether people are gay and interested, except for them telling you. If there was such a way, I'd patent it and be a billionnaire by now :wink:

As a way to ease in to conversation, you could try body language, though. When you go on the bus, nod and smile politely and firmly to the guy.
    When you or he get off the bus, not and smile again. In the hallways, when passing, do the same.
    It's essentially the nonverbal way of saying "hey, I recognise you!". There's nothing odd or unseemly about it. People do it all the time. When he notices you nodding and smiling (might take a few before he notices), he can then nod and smile back. At that point, some rapport has been established, making talking that much easier.

At some point, you're still going to have to say hi, of course. For that, I'd still say school-related topics are the safest and easiest to start with.

20. PowerGuyG4

PowerGuyG4 Guest

I will try but that doesn't necessarily mean that it will be easy though.