1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jealously...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by pinklov3ly, Oct 2, 2012.

1. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've always found myself to be jealous/envious of straight women. It started a few years ago when I was on Facebook, I was looking at my friend's page who is the male. And before I became fully accepting of myself, he and I used to talk. Anyway, I noticed that he was in a relationship with a girl and just looking at their pictures together made me very jealous. I guess I'm envious due to the fact that I can never feel what she feels for him. When we were dating, I think I kind of used him to cover up my feelings for women. As crazy as it sounds and because I had my expectations so high, I thought that he could change me :eusa_doh: And this was during the time when I was in denial. I was dating guys to kind of convince myself that I wasn't gay and I've hurt a few in the process. Anyway, I can't help, but feel jealous of women who are able to fall in love with a man :bang:

I know it sounds crazy, but how do I stop feeling envious? Has anyone else felt like this? I mean, because I am happy about being gay, but I do have my days when I wish I could be straight :icon_redf I just dislike how I have to be so careful who I approach in public and not to offend anyone in the process :rolle:

2. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, you can stop feeling envious by knowing that you're lucky to be able to fall in love with a woman. Most women don't get to do that :icon_wink

And you basically already said the things you need to remember to stop feeling this way. You dated men to cover up your feelings for women, and they (or at least this one specific guy) couldn't "change" you. Therefore, you know the truth is that you are gay, and you won't feel for men what you do for women. I know it's hard being gay, and there are days we all wish we didn't have to deal with it all. But I think in the end, we should be thankful we're gay. I mean, as much as I'm still in the closet and too afraid to tell the straight people in my life, I still wouldn't trade being gay for anything. I love the fact that I can love with a woman with all my heart. I can appreciate her and feel for her in a way no straight woman can ever do with another woman. I think that's a plus!

I've never felt envious of straight women, but I always feel envious of straight men. I just wish it was that easy for me to be with a girl.

3. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you so much! And I think you maybe on to something. I am lucky to be able to fall in love with a woman, I also feel like the black sheep in my family. All of my sisters have boyfriends and I like girls, so it's hard trying to exchange stories about our sex lives etc... :grin: I don't think they want to hear about me being intimate with a woman, but if I was with a man then it'd be cool.

I think this is an issue for me as well. It's like, whenever I'm with a girl, guys are always trying to talk to me/her. I believe in letting people down easily, so I nicely say, ”I like girls.” I think when people see a man and woman together, they hardly ever have to worry about being hit on because people automatically assume that they are together ”like that.” And if I'm with my girl, they automatically assume that we're friends, which is annoying. Perhaps, I should start wearing a bracelet again, with rainbow colors. It's almost like I'm coming out all over again and to random people. My Dad doesn't know yet and I'd hate for him to hear it through someone else--we live in a tiny city, so news travels fast. I'm just rambling, but it's nice being able to talk to someone about it finally :slight_smile:

#3 pinklov3ly, Oct 2, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  4. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I understand what you mean, I was at a wedding with my girlfriend and we were walking along together, someone who knew my girlfriend before she was out was talking to her and then she said to me 'so how do you know the bride?' so my girlfriend said, 'oh Em is my partner.' To which the girl said 'Oh well thats very straight forward then'. So whilst it doesnt matter, I know if I had been a guy then she wouldnt have asked she would have just assumed I was her partner.

5. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh, wow...it's bothersome; I mean, I try to look pass certain things, but it's hard sometimes. Do I really need to wear a shirt that says, I'm with her & and she's with me. I don't wanna broadcast it to the world, and it makes me uncomfortable getting hit on by guys. When I tell them that I like girls, they'll say ”We have something in common, me too.” This one guy actually told me that he was going to make me like him, to which I replied, ”Good luck.” :badgrin:

#5 pinklov3ly, Oct 2, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  6. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I kind of try and look at it that its just one of those things in life that you cant change. I try and remind myself that if I wasnt gay I may not have the amazing relationship I have. I guess you have to take it as a compliment that both yourself and your girlfriend are catching their eye, but I know its hard and as much as I always try and put a positive spin on things sometimes it really gets to you.

7. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's so beautiful and you're absolutely right. I've met some pretty amazing people and if I wasn't gay, things wouldn't be the way they are now. I guess I could take it as a compliment instead of allowing it to affect me negatively. That's why I try to laugh things off because it hurts too much to do anything else :dry:

8. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Maybe instead of thinking that you're the black sheep in the family, think of yourself as the dark horse :thumbsup: You've "fallen to the background" with all your sisters and their boyfriends, but watch: when you finally find the "right one," this woman is going to be better than all your sisters' boyfriends! Your relationship will be deep and meaningful, and hopefully your parents will see that (including your dad). I think you should feel lucky not to have to deal with men. There are some good ones out there, but I think in general, they're jerks.

And about wearing a rainbow bracelet, you can certainly do that. I think that will give other lesbians the cue, but in terms of making men believe you're gay, I doubt that'll help :lol: You could slap them over the head and reject them and some of them will still think they can change you.

What I said about never being envious of straight women, I actually take that back. "Never" isn't true. I don't feel envious of them in terms of their being able to be with men, but I do envy how comfortable they are with their female friends. You know, girls can compliment each other very openly, they can be very touchy feely (to the point where they're acting gay with each other), they cuddle with one another, etc. It's like...even straight girls can do that with each other, and I just wish I had a girlfriend to do those things with. I'm always afraid to compliment girls even if I'm just saying that I like their shirt or something. I don't want them to think I'm trying to hit on them or whatever. I always have to be self-concious about how I act or what I say around girls, while straight women don't have to be. They can tell each other they look hot and it's fine. But if a lesbian says it...well, you know.

9. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you so much musikk021(*hug*)

I'm just glad to be on here and have people who actually understands what I'm going through. I tried to talk to my mom about it, but she looked at me like I had six heads. I mean, I know that my mom is not gay, but she still acts like she's unable to give me advice or just words of encouragement. She brushes me off like it's no big deal, but it's actually something that I struggle with. She doesn't even try to see things from my perspective, so I'm going to stop talking to her about it all together :tantrum:

Although my sisters know that I am gay, I find it really difficult to discuss certain things with them. Plus, I would hate to get all emotional :icon_sad: And I know what you mean, it's like you can't even give a girl a compliment without her thinking there's more to it. However, people are really surprised when they find out that I am gay. I do have a specific type, every girl is not my type you know. Being gay has its ups & downs sometimes, but I wouldn't change it for anything in the world :icon_bigg

10. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No problem! (*hug*) I know, without this site, I'd really have no outlet at all.

About your mom, I understand that it's difficult that she doesn't seem to acknowledge your struggles, especially when you're actually vocalizing how you feel. But, to put a positive spin to it, you're at least lucky you're out to her and (I'm assuming since you didn't say) that she accepts you/has come to accept you and your sexuality. At least she's not disowning you or telling you to change. Sometimes, for us LGBT people, indifference is really the best we can hope for. As long as our parents aren't kicking us out of the house or cutting ties or sending us to electrotherapy, that's already pretty good. We can't expect all parents to be like (!) about their gay children haha. Anyways, if your mom doesn't want to talk about, I think you should let it go. Find someone who will talk about it with you (like on here :icon_bigg). The more you try to talk to someone who doesn't want to reciprocate, the more it will frustrate you.

Yeah, sometimes I just wish I could tell my friend that she looks nice or something (especially on days when you can tell they made an effort to dress up for whatever reason). I just want to be nice! Or even if they get a haircut and it looks good, I feel awkward even complimenting that haha. :icon_redf

11. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're so right, things could be a lot worse, so I'm glad that she's accepting. I know she doesn't have all the answers that I'm looking for, but she can be so insensitive. I let her ruin my day and now, I'm frustrated. Please become a full member so we can talk more privately, I know it takes a min :slight_smile:

I can give some women compliments easier than others, but only if they seem approachable.

12. SundayGirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    We're all grieving for something in our lives, perhaps what we won't have in our future or what we never had in our past. It's a life-long process to let those feelings go and it's certainly not easy.

I think it's wonderful that you are able to acknowledge and talk about those feelings of envy. I am slowly coming to terms with my inability to have children (medical problems) and I experience similar envy/jealousy when I see mothers with their children. Rather than berate myself for it, I remind myself that it's okay and natural for me to experience those emotions. I'll grieve that (perceived) loss for the rest of my life, but I'll come out stronger and more self-aware for it. And in place of what we don't have, there's always something more beautiful and rewarding waiting to be found, you know? That's the wonderful thing about life.

Anyway, have a hug, my dear. Take care. (*hug*)

13. dreamcatcher

Oh wow! I feel this way a lot actually. I envy straight girls for being in able to like guys in a way that I can't . I think it's because I'm just envious of the fact that they can be so "normal" and fit in so easily whereas I know that I can't. I wish I knew what I could tell you to get over it but I think Musikk and Silverhalo have given some really good input. But you're definitely not alone (*hug*)

14. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been meaning to apply for a full membership, so I guess now's a good time to do it! I've sent the application. Hopefully, I'll hear back soon? In the meantime, I sent you a friend request :slight_smile:

15. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you so much and I'm so sorry (*hug*) I feel like my problem is nothing compared to how you must feel :icon_sad: :icon_redf

---------- Post added 3rd Oct 2012 at 01:03 AM ----------

I'm glad to know that I'm not alone, I thought I was going crazy. Thank you :slight_smile:

16. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey on the whole I dont think you can blame straight people for not understanding, I mean before I realised I was gay and came out I totally wouldnt have understood either.

17. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, you're right about that one. My friend who's bisexual understands, so it's nice to have someone close to me who understands.