1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loneliness and Isolation.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by SundayGirl, Oct 2, 2012.

1. SundayGirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    From looking through some of the threads here, I would say it is a very familiar feeling for many of us, whatever our orientation.

For me loneliness comes not from an absence of people around me, but just feeling like I am not truly understood - that I am disconnected, in denial and hiding parts of my true self for the sake of approval. It's a killer. Some days I feel as though this is just part of who I am, and that I need to learn to live with it. That thought in itself is depressing (the hopelessness), because I do yearn to be understood and accepted for who I am, even if only by one other person.

What do you do to lesson the isolation? Are you able to open up to those who you trust most? Do you share your feelings easily, or are you a bottler? Please share your wisdom and guidance with me, dears. :slight_smile:

2. Kcaz12345

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey I think that you need to find one just one friend and tell them how you feel I feel that this will get a lot of this isolation off of your mind

3. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've always been at least fairly introverted... I mean, I still am, irl, except when I have an idea on something.

In High school, there were only a few people I could talk to, because they were the only LGBT-heavy people there (they were both bigender while one was bisexual and the other was pansexual. They were in a relationship, at one point, as well). At that time, most of it was figuring stuff out.. So I never really wanted to come out until I had it all sorted.

Now, as I am in college, it's a new stage in my life. I can start from scratch, and I love that. I can make a ton of new friends while coming out (most of them now know I'm androgyne), I can finish figuring everything out, and hopefully I can get someone in the span of these 2 years. Most of this is actually pretty easy, since I go to a private media arts college, so the LGBT concentration is a bit higher than your everyday university, and you don't have as many "gays are bad" people.