1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay counselling group?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Bird66, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Bird66

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi EC! :slight_smile: I just have a question, does anyone have any experience with gay counselling groups? I am not sure if I am the right person for these kind of things. I just signed up for one of them (HUGE step forward, again), and I will have my intake soonish. It is supposed to be 'a fun and relaxt way to get to know other gay people in your city'. But I am super scared for it actually... I almost don't wanna go anymore and it makes me miserable.

Cheers :kiss:

2. Keelin

Why are you nervous? Think of it as a new way to meet lots of people!

... I would so love to go to one of those, but 1) I'm not out & 2) Even if I was, my town doesn't have one :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I really think you should be excited for it!

Also, great job on the step forward :slight_smile:

3. dan4now

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    hello, if it can help you feel better and so bad with others. I would say to go for it to. I mean, we all need company and friends, so unless you don't think that your ready for that step, why not. you already know where you are and any good step forward is less painful and scary as now. if it helps any. hope so.

4. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey, you might meet your future husband there! :wink: :grin: I think you'll have a great time. It's really fun to be around people that are similar to yourself.

5. wintersun

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is it a 'counselling' group or a supportive way to make a new network and learn things about living as a gay person?

I used to run a project that invited young gay guys to attend a group for one night a week for 5 weeks. It was an opportunity for the guys to share stories, make friends, learn from each other and dispel myths. It wasn't a counselling group as such more a way of 'coming-in' to urban gay life. Hundreds of young guys came through the program and talk about it as having changed things for them.

It sounds like you might be experiencing a bit of Anxiety / Fear around doing something new with strangers. If it is a legitimate group backed by a well known organisation, no doubt many others before you have been in the situation you are in now. You will probably feel completely different by the end of the first session. So take a deep breath, summon your courage and remember... you can always walk out if you are uncomfortable!

6. Rose

I understand your anxiety but I bet it will be worth it and if not then will you have lost much? I have been looking for something similar.... Nothing near me I can access unfortunately. If you feel ready to connect with others who may be in a similar place to you then go for it!