1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worried about labeling myself?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by vhrebels, Oct 2, 2012.

1. vhrebels

vhrebels Guest

Hey everyone. So, I just started thinking about coming out to people, and I just realized that I'm terrified of being labeled. I know it's irrational, but I feel like people are going to judge me and stuff like that. I really don't think that any label can accurately describe me. What should I do about this? I really want to quit hiding my feelings, but I can't really think of a way to explain myself to people.

2. kestrel

You can try these things on,
    Or you can just forget it,
    And do what you want with out a label.
    Feel first, ask questions later.

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! First, it's great that you feel ready to start coming out. :slight_smile:

If you are still figuring it all out, it is totally fine to say: "I'm questioning my sexual identity, and feelings and am in the process of figuring it out".

4. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I label myself as gay/lesbian because I'm predominately attracted to women. However, I've kind of started questioning myself again, although I'm not really to confront that issue just yet. I'm thinking about coming out to my dad; I'm just going to tell him that I like girls--no need for labels. Just embrace your feelings :slight_smile:

5. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When you're chatting to a woman and she starts talking about guys, just say something like, "What a coincidence! I also like guys" or say, "So-and-so is cute, don't you think?" and then wink.

You don't have to admit that you're gay. Just drop hints, people will catch on pretty quickly. But if you want to literally come out, don't worry about labelling yourself. Just say, "I'm into guys (men)"

That's how I came out to one of my female friends. I just said, "I don't like men" and that was that. It became easier after that. And I became comfortable with labelling myself. I came out to others as bisexual though, but I now know for certain that I'm full-on lesbian, so it's all or nothing from here on.

I wish you all the best :thumbsup: - And don't get too hung up on labels. As many have said before. Sexuality is fluid. And I'm also going to mention the Kinsey scale to you. File:Kinsey Scale.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - You could even drop that into conversation. For example, I'm a kinsey 5.5-6. So decide where you are on the scale and go with that :icon_wink

#5 Ruby Dragon, Oct 2, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  6. cscipio

You could start with "I'm not straight."

As many would say here - if you don't like labels, don't use them.

7. NicoleV96

NicoleV96 Guest

The thing is, no matter who or what you are and define yourself by, people will always find a way to label. A label isn't a bad thing, but if they let it define your whole personality, then they're not good people to hang out with. If you don't want them to label you, then you really could just say, that you like guys, instead of using the label. Some people will let it define you though, but, it's not a big deal, as long as they accept you.