1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Christians!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Colombiana, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Colombiana

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    If you're gay and Christian, or (even spiritual) for that matter. Can you post here? Just curious. Post your story and how you've coped with being gay.. ?

2. SheWhoHasNoName

I was in over head with this topic. It makes no sense why God would say homosexuality is wrong. So, I did some internet research. I eventually listened to this video preaching that goes over the 6 verses in the bible that supposedly "condemn" homosexuality.

:goodevil:

But, there were times when I questioned my faith in God and I refused to read my bible because I was afraid I would come across a verse that absolutely condemns me to hell. Sometimes, I would pray to God to make me straight and I would be just overwhelmed with emotion and I would start bawling.

I used to go to a Christian private school. That made things even worse. At least once a day someone would make a gay joke. Or say how gross gay people are. Even my closet friends would say stuff like that when they didn't know.

Eventually, I told my friends and they were actually cool with it and didn't say stuff like that anymore. Which raises the question, did they even believe what they said in the first place? Most importantly, do these people just say those cruel jokes out of plain ignorance, to fit in, and because they are in an environment that believes that homosexuality is wrong?

3. Catholic, Bisexual, still a little conflicted though but....

....this helped. :slight_smile:

4. SheWhoHasNoName

Glad to help :slight_smile:

5. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just wanted to address something in your signature:

That is called Pascal's Wager. Amongst the many arguments against it is this one: If there is a god, do you honestly think he would be fooled by such a simple cop-out?

Another is: Imagine two people. One behaves well because he thinks he is being watched. The other behaves well because he feels he has an obligation to other people to do so. Which do you think is more admirable?

6. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't want to debate religion here, i just wanted to point out the faults of pascal's wager. Never mind SWHNN, you can PM me a reply if you like instead of posting here.

7. Psuedojim, I would like to apologize if that was insensitive. I deleted it anyway.

8. SheWhoHasNoName

Actually, I just heard it in a Korean Drama and thought it sounded cool. I thought they made it up for the show. I didn't know it was an actual philosophical argument. Thanks for telling me! :slight_smile:

Not being sarcastic. It's actually really cool that you know that.

#8 SheWhoHasNoName, Oct 4, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  9. jvn95

I'm Catholic,

Well... I'm still struggling with the whole hell thing sometimes. For the most part, I do not believe I am going to hell.

I have replaced the name "God" with "The Universe". That way it is Unisex, unbiased, more logical, and I tie Karma into it, which was in christianity any way, but all wells.

I named my own spirituality too, I call it "Jude's Pseudo-Quasi Religion".

It keeps me goin'. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 4th Oct 2012 at 08:44 PM ----------

I Re-Read that,

It's safe to say I'm not Catholic anymore, sorry.

10. speedboy3

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Does a bi christian count?

I struggled with the whole likeing the same sex is wrong and you'll go to hell thing for quite a while. It kept me from accepting who I was for the longest time. However I did some research and found that if you can be damned based soley on the fact that you're not strait, then it contridicts the words of Christ himself in John 3:16, as well as Paul in alot of verses that he wrote. Through these I was able to overcome a major hurdle in accepting being bi, and I came to a realization that if I'm going to hell for being bi then theres nothing I can do about it, but if I somehow still go to heaven and others cant based solely on sexual orientation then I wouldn't want to be in a place that wouldn't be accepting of someone based on something as trivial as that.

11. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I struggle quite a bit with this. When they talk about hell in regards to homosexuality in the old testament, they also mention other sins that would send a person to hell, but people tend to focus on homosexuality as "the greater sin." I believe that any sin can be forgiven if a person tries their best in life and believes Jesus has saved them, whether they believe in Him now or the last second of their life when they see a bright light.

"Judge not and you will not be judged" right? So I try not to judge anyone. I focus on being the best me I can be and deep down I know God understands and sees how much I'm struggling. I still have a hard time with my sexuality though because its so opposite to how I was raised and I was programmed to believe it was hell worthy. For a long time I thought I was going to hell, but that's the devil tricking me into giving up on myself not God trying to make me feel guilty. :slight_smile:

12. Rachyl

Rachyl Guest

I guess I am not sure now, to be perfectly honest. I grew up with a very Traditional Catholic *read Latin* Church.

Being gay was evil pure and simple. But I have only known and been out to myself since the September 21, so I am not sure where I am going Heaven or Hell.

For what I have read I am going straight to Hell, do not pass go, do not collect $200.

For knowing I am gay, I am so much happier with my self worth, not to mention, not believing I am a monster, as I have thought for 30 yrs.

I am off so many meds that were keeping me straight and pseudo happy, that each day is still really new to me.

I am gay and right now I don't have a problem with that. Just wish I didn't have to spend 30 yrs in a mental Hell to find out.

13. TroubledRyan

I had alot of trouble with this for a long time too. Here is how I see it, loving a man is not the ultimate sin, and people sin every single day. I don't think me being gay is a sin, but if it was.. well I'm sorry God.. but everyone sins!

So when people say that me being gay is wrong, I point out all the sins people make daily. No one has the right to worry about mine or your sins, just their own.

14. Ticklish Fish

I am also debating about that, lol.
    I mean, I still haven't come out to people in real life D:

though personally, I think a lot of modern christianity is muddled with personal agendas, twists, corruption, and misleading...

15. BNQ2012

I have not managed to reconcile my sexual orientation with Christianity. My solution has been to move away from my old church (where I would never be accepted anyway as long as I insist on being something other than straight) and put the whole question of religion on the back burner for now. Eventually I may do the research into points of view that say that the Bible and Christianity do not condemn homosexuality but I am a product of an upbringing and scriptural interpretation that is very much the opposite. I don't even call myself a Christian anymore though I have not entirely given up belief in a deity. I've been to a service at a gay-affirming church and frankly found it a bit strange. I may try some others though I am not sure. The who issue of religion is a mass of conflict for me right now.

16. dreamcatcher

I was raised catholic. My entire family is catholic and they are religious. I'm forced to go to church on the weekends with my family even though I don't want to. As to what I believe now... I don't know. I used to pray and really believe that there was a devil and a God who loves us. Right now, I just feel kind of apathetic towards my religious beliefs. I still consider myself a Christian. For some strange reason, i still believe in God but I just need a break from any kind of religion in general. Being forced to believe in something has made me kind of bitter. I need to find some kind of personal connection towards God again as I no longer feel that I have one.

17. Silvails52

Well, I thought I was a strong Christian. But when I learned I was gay, I really questioned my faith. I stopped paying attention in church, but I kept up the impression of being a Christian. As time went on, I read a few websites that destroyed the arguments that condemned gays. I slowly gained my faith back, and when my boyfriend turned out to be preaching at his local church, it all came back to me. Being gay and a Christian does fit together. The verses have no hold over loving, long-term relationships. I was at peace when I finally realized that.

18. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I grew up going to the United Methodist church that was right down the street from me. My parents did not go, I went on my own. I started going there for an after school program and then I got involved in the handbell choir.

Then came the end of high school. I came out to some of them (kinda on accident) and they kicked me out. (That's the short version of the story)

So right now, I really don't consider myself to be religious. This is mainly because I need to recover from what my old church pounded into my head as the "truth" (and I'm referring to God hating homosexuals... not the bible as a whole.) So, with time, I may go back into being a faithful person. Right now, I'm enjoying looking in from the outside.

(On a sidenote, I'm sending my coming out letter to my former youth pastor on thursday. That will finally end the homophobic church chapter of my life.)

19. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Homosexuality and Christianity are things that have been a huge issue for me. Especially when I came out to my parents. My mother, especially, freaked out and said it goes against our religion and she refuses to accept it.

I thought about speaking to our reverend (minister) about it and hear his point of view on the matter. I'm sure he'll have some valuable input and might help clarify a few things. I might feel a little awkward discussing it with him though. But I feel it's one of the only ways I can put my mind at ease and know for certain.

Right or wrong, we are who we are, we cannot help who we love.

20. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I doubt that would go very well. I wouldn't be surprised if he recommended reparative therapy or some other BS. But if it would make you feel better then I guess it's your choice. Personally I wouldn't go into expecting him to be very supporting of LGBT people though.