1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my sister gay?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by metoo, Oct 4, 2012.

1. metoo

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    In the last few monthes I have been wondering if my sister was not straight. She is 13 monthes older than I am, and I have been noticing a few things.

She has short hair, dresses in unisex clothes, and plays the electric guitar. I have also noticed that she is extremely defensive of LGBT people. (in a good way, my whole family has nothing against gays) She never talks about boys or anyone she may 'crush' on. She also told me once that she may wanted to join the Gay/Straight allience club at our high school.

I also read somthing the other day in a book that was published in like 1996 about how there is a higher chance that the sibling of a gay person will be gay than the sibling of a straght person, and I am sure I'm not straight.

I know you can't tell for sure by what I put, but it feels kinda weird that there may be another gay person in the house.

2. Katelynn

To be honest, I wouldnt worry about it too much. If your sister is gay, hey, no biggie. If she isnt gay, also no big deal. If she is gay, chances are you will be the first person she tells anyway, since you are her sister. I noticed it says you are not out at all, so chances are she might wonder the same thing about you. If you have a close relationship with your sister & she is fiercely defensive of LGBT people, consider maybe coming out to her first - she may turn around & come out to you too! There is also another thing you might consider - your sister may also possibly be bisexual, pansexual, trans, etc. Dont read too much into the short hair, dresses in unisex clothes, and plays the electric guitar, etc, as this is a lousy way to tell if someone is gay, its like totally playing into stereotypes & could mislead you when you dont need to be misled.

As for thinking she may be gay bc she defends LGBT rights & wants to join a GSA, there are quite a few straight people out there who are the same way as well, so dont let that throw you off either. Just look at her as your sister, someone in your family who loves you, the rest will wor itself out Im sure! :slight_smile: (*hug*)

3. Caudex

Caudex Guest

It seems there's a good chance. If so, I'd relish the opportunity. It'd be great if I could share the fear with someone else.

4. metoo

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I can see what you guys are saying. I don't want to buy into sterotypes, it bugs me when other people do so I don't want to be hypocritical. I think I will probably come out to her first, even though our relationship is not as good as it used to be.

5. spectrumsigner

Maybe she has a close friend who is gay and wants to support the LGBT community because of that person. Maybe she just cares about civil rights. Maybe she cuts her hair that way because it's easier to style. (Sometimes my very long, very curly, very not-stereotypically-lesbian hair gets really annoying to take care of.) Maybe there's a movie star or celebrity with hair like that who she wanted to look like. Maybe a friend cut their hair like that, and your sister liked it and wanted hers the same way. There are a thousand possibilities. I'm a lesbian who plays the violin and sings classical soprano-- so who's to say a straight girl can't rock out on the electric guitar?

What I'm saying here is, don't jump to conclusions. Maybe she's gay. Maybe she isn't. Either way, she's your sister.

6. CuriousKate

Minnesota and hopefully Texas before next month
    Well to be honest, those books from the 90s are very homophobic so don't ever listen to them. I read one last year and it literally said, 'The only way a person can have a pure, happy life, is for them to allow God into their heart and get therapy.' So don't listen. Second, I'm just admitting now that I am a lesbian and my brothers are straight. I am the oldest, two of my older cousins are gay, one a guy one a girl, and they didn't influence me and they don't influence my brother. We're all different, so if you think you may be gay just because of your sister, that's most likely not true. Another thing, if she is gay then she is. All you have to do is accept it and her because my family and my own younger brothers are giving me unending BS because of my sexuality and I'll tell you firsthand it's hell day and night and it just makes a girl or guy question their sexuality and distance themselves from family. But hey, if she's a lesbian just show her support and be there for your sis. She sounds like a butch girl though, or shes just a tom-boy. If you guys are close enough, I strongly advice just asking her and getting it over with. Being truthful and actually asking her is better than wondering for years until she comes out or just thinking about it and probably never knowing.

---------- Post added 5th Oct 2012 at 01:50 PM ----------

Random, I LOVE the violin. Automatically awesome, you are.