1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mixing Straight and Gay

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Micah, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Micah

Hey guys - after a few weeks of heavy school I'm finally back *cheers*.

Now something I was wondering is how you've gone about mixing your straight lives with your gay lives (ie straight friends with gay friends). I've usually kept the two fairly seperate, and had "gay friend parties" and "straight mate parties" but my parents are going away in a few weeks and I wanted to have a fairly large shin-dig. So, I was considering mixing the two worlds into one.

Has anyone done this? Was it successful? Were there complications (ie straight friends freaking out at the gay people?). Personally I think it should all be fine, but you can never be too sure.

2. Brandon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well during High School I had Straight friends, they didn't know I was gay, so I kept it at that. I didn't have gay friends until sometime last year. It was so hard to actually make them because some of them were so active sexually that they really didn't want to have a long lasting friendship.

I do have straight friends online, and after coming out to them, they tell I'm sometimes very different which means they get very angry that I'm acting different because of me coming out of the closet. With my gay friends that I have no, they've been supportive, but with College, its hard to go out and hang with them when you're a full time student and going to school almost every single day. More and more as I grow older my straight life is becoming no more, but I don't really show my gay life in public, due to the whole discrimination around here. Its difficult to go through that.

But all in all, I find it kind of hard mixing my straight life with my gay life, it is getting to the point where I just want to ditch the straight life and just be who I am without hiding.

3. tired_of_lying411

Im not the type tp have a party and I dont have gay friends, so... cant hapy you here

4. Merc

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I have two friends. One's bi-curious. The other's straight. That count as mixing?

5. Micah

Hehe, i was talking about on more of a larger scale, such as 10-15 of each :wink:

6. Director

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Yeah, I don't really know all that many bi or gay people at my school. Well, none that I know of. We all know they're there somewhere, lol. I can honestly only think of one or two and we're not friends. (Not enemies, we just don't hang out)

7. wildncgirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I keep my bisexuality a secret with straight friends, which is nearly all of them. A few ppl know about me, and I'm sure I've been slandered for it, but so far I've not lost any straight friends over my secret. I would so much like to find a girl that wants sex as much as I do, lol.

8. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I have no experience in knowing if it would work but it actually sounds like a great idea! What better way for your friends to see that you are all human beings with differences that you can appreciate about eachother. I'll be interested to see how it all goes!

9. kholdstare90

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Been there, tried that, didn't work.

If you're going to have a party with mixing for the first time don't have any alcohol. Also make it clear to the gay guys that unless you know him don't flirt with him.

And I know all of this because I tried it a year ago and we had to rush my then boyfriend to the emergency room. If you follow those basic two rules then everything should be fine. After they get comfortable around each other then start introducing alcohol.

Who knows, one or two of your straight friends may end up experimenting :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. CrimsonThunder

I've never mixed all my groups of friends. Although I'm so honest with all my friends I know that most of them are not 100% straight. :wink:

Its your party Micah. You have whoever you want there so yes, mix it up.

11. GunStarre

GunStarre Guest

Nope. I really only have straight friends... *sigh*

12. Hydrogen

Oh, I would love to have a large party with both my gay and straight friends. The most I have mixed was 2 from each group who I knew would get along when they came on a 3 day vacation cruise with me and Tyler.

It is hard for me, my straight friends are either from Alabama (not too gay friendly) or work (and cop's are not girly.. and think all gays are, even though they know me and I'm not)

then, my gay friends are sometimes over the top and would easily offend my straight friends. Also, a few of my gay friends are anti-government/police and while I put up with it, or know how to set them in there place, my co-works may not be so willing to be/play nice...

So for now, there are two groups of friends.

13. Vampyrecat

well for my birthday party I just invited all my friends, gay and straight. I told the straight ones that I expected them to treat my gay friends exactly the same way they treat me, as in, like a friend, and they did. Just make sure they know the ground rules and it works out fine.

14. HalfInsane

Well, besides me, my gf, and another about... well, four or five other people I don't know of any people who are gay/lesbian/bi. Not to say there aren't friends of mine who just haven't told anyone, though. But, with those people, all my other friends know they're not straight. And, well, if you're counting friend's friends and all that... that's certainly well over 50+ people... probably well over 100, actually, and no one has a problem with it, at least, not that I know of. We've never had issues with big group gatherings before, etc... and I know my close friends are pretty open minded, as are most of the other people who know about at least one of us 6/7 bi/lesbian/gay people... they're tolerant enough to not take issue with it, at least. So, if your friends are anything like that it shouldn't be a problem. I'd just let everyone you invite know that there will be both gay and straight guests there, so if someone has a problem with it they can decide not to come.

#14 HalfInsane, Apr 2, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  15. Jim1454

I would imagine that you'd be fine in mixing your two groups of friends...

I've not yet done that, but I don't have large numbers of friends in either camp. I've only introduced my bf to my ex so far - which went fine. I'm probably going to introduce him to my two best friends soon. I'm not much of a 'party guy' so I've not really considered bringing people together as a group.

But if they're all YOUR friends, then I'm sure they're ALL great people, and you'll have no problems at all!

16. Ryesright

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm a college guy, party guy, and young. Here's the deal from my perspective.

As far as I can tell there are about four things that average young person likes to get accomplished at a party, probably in this order:

1). Have fun
    2). Meet new people
    3). Meet/talk to a potential hook up
    4). If things are REALLY hitting off - hook up that night.

The fun part is in your hands. Since you've thrown your own parties before, it sounds like you know what you're doing. Also, throwing a big party means that there is definitely the chance to meet new people. As long as your straight friends are okay with gay men/women and vice versus, then the two "groups" should enjoy getting to know one another. However, the last two factors means that you have to make sure you have a good balance of people that are attracted to each other. This mainly applies to straight guys I feel like. Don't get me wrong, I have fun hanging out with just the guys (I haven't told anyone yet about my being gay, besides my boyfriend - so as far as they know I'm straight), but everyone seems to be having a better time when a party isn't just a "sausage fest." So maybe have enough straight girls around to keep the straight guys interested?

I guess really though, what it comes down to is if everyone is okay with gay and heterosexual people together, then they are probably going to have a good time. The list I described isn't, in my mind, the exact equation for a good time. What I -really- value in a night out is having fun, which can be done when I'm in a group of friends I already know. But, I have even more fun when I feel like I've made some new friends or met some really cool people. And of course, ending the night with a good mack isn't bad either. So I feel like as long as everyone is okay with each other, fulfilling part 1 and 2 of my list is the equation for everyone to have a genuinely good time.

Unless someone here has thrown a gay/straight mix party before, you're going to have to experiment for the rest of us and let us know how it goes!

17. Micah

Well considering I made this post in 2006 I'll say it went well? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

18. ovomac

ovomac Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh, I'm gay, but all my friends think I'm straight. One of which is a homophobe.
    I couldn't tell my friends. It would hurt them too much.

19. Jim1454

LOL! Glad to hear it! (I was a little hurt I hadn't received my invitation yet! :icon_wink )

20. Quitex

Quitex Guest

Was it an Sclub party? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: