1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'll be seeing my family for the first time since I came out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by SwordplayBoy, Oct 6, 2012.

1. SwordplayBoy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, today I'll be going to my littlest cousin's birthday party. My whole family will be there, and this will be the first time I'll see them all face-to-face. :confused: I'm really nervous, I recently heard that my grandmother refuses to believe it. She thinks I don't even know what gay really means.:dry: I love her, but I think she's trapped in this delusion that I'm still an innocent little kid. The rest of the family is trying to get used to it, but I dyed my hair dark red, so they can focus on something other than that. I'm still trying to adjust, too. It's really weird being out, but things should get better. Wish me luck. :confused:

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

2. LauraMarie

Awww have fun!:slight_smile: posts like these make me excited to evntully be out :grin: (I wish I could die by hair but its really curly so idk what it'd look like) :grin: hope you have an amazing time!! And I bet your grandma wil come around soon<3

3. MagicMadman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Good luck dude! :grin:

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hope attending the birthday party will be a good experience for you.

As you have mentioned, everyone is trying to come around to it, and used to. From the sounds of it, it will take a bit more time, but it all will probably work out. The best thing you can do actually is being your usual self around your family as it will show them, that you haven't changed and that you are still the same person. It will help them in coming around as well.

5. Closet88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have a great night! Be you and nobody else :slight_smile:

6. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hope that it goes well for you! Just be yourself and you'll be fine!

7. SwordplayBoy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Now I feel like I'm kind of disappointing you guys, but I didn't see my grandparents. :icon_sad: I saw my uncle, aunt(his sister), and two cousins. I was supposed to get a ride to the party with my grandparents, but my mom wanted to go shopping with me, but we stopped by the party when it was ending. I will definitely be seeing them for a little bit tomorrow. It will only be to stop by and pick up a few things, but I think that would be the best amount of time, really. I was hoping to spread out all of the meetings, because I still have to see what happens at the amtgard thing.:confused: Thanks everyone, this site is the only reason I came out, and it has been an incredibly rewarding week for me.
    :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride: