1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guy wants to see a movie with me and then decides he doesn't want to?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by TwoMethod, Oct 6, 2012.

1. TwoMethod

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I asked this friend of mine — someone who I want to become really good friends with — if he wanted to go see a movie we had talked about, this weekend. This was on Tuesday. He said, yeah, and suggested this Sunday almost immediately on Facebook.

I brought it up again when I saw him in school on Thursday and acted as if we were gonna see it and I said I would check the times.

Thursday night, he text me to ask for some advice about something in school, and I replied. This guy is flippin' awful at replying. Like really bad. I hope it's not just me. But anyway, he didn't reply. This was fine, as I hadn't mentioned anything about the cinema.

Anyway, I was surprised he didn't reply so I Facebook-messaged him and double-checked that he had got my message. I also mentioned the cinema times. Well anyway, I saw that he had been online in my feed — he commented on something else, but it was like he didn't go into my message so I wouldn't see the "seen" indicator. (He wouldn't have been able to see me mention the cinema times from the preview, though.)

I text him earlier today to tell him how awful he is at replying, and I saw the "seen" indicator change to "seen" and he replied, discussing the thing I was giving advice on, and nothing about the cinema.

I then responded, asking if he still wanted to see the movie, and he replied saying we should "postpone" it, because he wanted to work on something that he clearly did not have to work on (I know this because it's the same thing I was giving him advice on).

I got a bit annoyed, because I originally told him that I wanted to see the movie with someone else but that I would have preferred to see it with him, but now this other person has already seen it. I asked him what work he needed to do, and I told him that I had actually planned on giving him some advice in relation to the same thing tomorrow anyway. I then asked if we were ever gonna see the movie or whether we would leave it.

In the end (God, I really do know how to make a short story long), he replied and said the advice would be great and that we should go to the movie after all.

So my first question is, if you didn't want to go see a movie with someone and you were talking about it with them on Facebook, would you reply straight away suggesting a day to do it? Like I mean I would say that I was really busy or something and come up with an excuse if someone asked me and I didn't want to go and see it. What I wouldn't do is suggest a day and then later plan to bail on it. Right? This seems fairly normal. What I want to know is, that given he suggested the day originally and said yes: is it safe to assume he did actually want to go and see it with me? (The alternative is that he never actually intended to go see it, but instead was planning to bail out later, which is really stupid.)

The thing is — well this guy has been described as a Lone Ranger — and he told me before that he doesn't want a really close friend and that he had a best friend before and he felt overwhelmed. I want to tell him tomorrow that he shouldn't push people away, but I don't know how to phrase it well.

What do you guys think? He has me really confused.

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Simple answer - peope are dynamic. They change. They don't always think the same things or feel the same way. My guess is that he DID really want o see rhe movie on Tuesday, but he since revised his feelings on it. Maybe relating to you, maybe relating to the move, maybe relating to neither.

Lex

3. TwoMethod

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmmm. Yeah. I was thinking: this guy is two years younger than me. He knows I'm gay. And to be honest, if he was gay (I don't know if he is), I would be really into him. I was thinking that maybe he thought about it and thought it was weird that we were going to see a movie alone. But still, surely this would have crossed his mind earlier in the week on Tuesday, too.

4. SecretColor

From St. Louis, MO; go to school in Philly
    I had planned for a week to get coffee with a guy once, and he canceled 5 minutes before we were supposed to meet; never heard from him again.

Lex is right, people change. Don't take it personally; something's going on on his end and it both isn't your fault and is out of your control.