1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

when and how to come out...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by justlauren64, Oct 6, 2012.

1. justlauren64

im 14 years old and i am 100% positive that i am bisexual. my family is very accepting but they can be judgemental at times. i want to come out to them but i feel like its too soon because many people dont seem to come out if they are bisexual until college-age. i have told a couple friends, and none of them have openly had a problem with it, however i feel like telling my family is different. can anyone please give me advice? im just confused... but i guess the question is, when and how should i come out?

also: my grandparents. my grandparents on one side are kind of religious but i have no clue whatd theyd think about it.
    on the other side, my grandma is super-open to it, but my grandpa is homophobic :/

2. LauraMarie

Whenever you feel ready:slight_smile: its up to you!

3. Caudex

Caudex Guest

This will probably sound patronizing, but…are you sure?
    I'm serious. One of my friends came out to everyone as gay when he was 13. He's 17 now and has a girlfriend. You might want to wait. Also, your parents might think, "Oh, how could you possibly know?"
    I believe that you know, but I also believe it's best to make sure.

4. justlauren64

ya, im sure. thanks for asking, but im sure.

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there, and welcome to EC! :slight_smile:

If you feel ready and would like your parents and extended family to know, that is all that matters. It doesn't matter how old you are. Quite a few teens have come out and continue to come out in their early teens.

If you feel that your parents are supportive and accepting, why not start with them? It might also make it easier on you if you talk first to your mom or dad. For some, coming out first to one parent then the other, makes it easier, less stressful.

Maybe after that, come out to your grandma who is accepting, and take it slowly from there.