1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm so confused....

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Willow, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Willow

I've been around gay people my whole life. My sister has been out as a lesbian for as long as I can remember and she had gay friends that she hung out with often. Because of this, the thought of two men or two women being together was just as normal as the thought of a man and a woman being together.

I supposed there's always been this attraction to women in the back of my brain but I never really thought much of it until a few years ago. I still think some older men are attractive but not as much as I think women are. I've liked guys my age but I've never known why (except for one). They weren't attractive in personality (except for that one) or looks.

Then I started watching Buffy The Vampire Slayer. Willow's discovery of her sexuality and her beautiful relationship with Tara made really start to question what all of this meant.

This school year though, things have been getting even more confusing. No boys have caught my eye at all. Only girls. I've imagined myself being in relationships with girls but not any boys. I talked to my sister about some of this and she said that whatever happens, my family will still love me and that I can always change my mind. This made me feel so much better but I'm still scared and confused. I found this site and joined with hope that I could get some advice from others that have gone through this.

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there, and welcome to EC! You have come to the right place to start figuring things out. :slight_smile:

From what you have mentioned, it sounds like that you are increasingly becoming aware that you have an attractions/feelings for girls. I think it is great that you have started talking with your sister about it, and know that you have quite a bit of support on which you can draw on.

One thing that might help you is to explore your feelings more, and perhaps even trying to go on a date or trying to spend more time with a girl and gauge how you feel, and what your feelings/instincts are telling you. Try to take note of the kinds of attractions that you feel when you see a girl passing you or if you are with a girl.

Maybe try joining a LGBT support or social group, and try meeting someone, and see what happens.

3. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi!! I love that you're like a real-life Willow. Hahaha, I'm kidding of course, you're you. :slight_smile:
    You're attracted to who you're attracted to. It's okay if it's a girl, a boy, or anyone else.
    So if you like someone, it's okay. I don't have great advice to give you, but it seems like you're on a fine track to understanding yourself more thoroughly.

I started realizing I like girls later than alot of people, so this seems normal for someone who is just starting to think about these things. Or someone who hasn't quite figured it all out yet. Don't worry. Also, I think it's normal for people to like people even if they don't know why. It's natural. If you like them, it's okay.
    You could be bi with a preference or leaning to women. Bisexuality does not mean the attraction has to be equal, at all. If you find you aren't interested in men, and/or aren't attracted to them sexually and/or romantically, that's okay too. It's all okay.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll figure it all out. :slight_smile:
    I love your avatar by the way.
    (*hug*)

4. Willow

@Mirko - Thanks :slight_smile:

I've been thinking about asking one of my out gay friends if he could help me with meeting someone to see what happens but I can't work up the courage to ask. I've also tried to find if there's a LGBT group or club at my school but they don't seem to have one.

@The Escapist - That actually sounds a lot like what my sister told me. I know that it doesn't have to be equal and that's why I've considered that I might be bisexual with a preference for women. Whichever I might be, I know I still have awhile to figure it out.

And thanks! I love yours too. Drusilla is awesome. :grin:

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How would you feel about asking your sister? Just a thought - given that you have already talked with her and have a good relationship with her.

6. Willow

I would love to but the thing is we live in different states :frowning2:. I haven't actually seen her in person for almost 3 years. We only talk on the phone or on facebook.