1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Having trouble concentrating and have no motivation

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Jared, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Jared

So over the past week I've noticed that I'm having a lot of trouble concentrating on my school work and finding the motivation to study. I'm not sure what is wrong with me, I've never had a problem getting myself motivated to study before, but now it seems like all I want to do is read a book or watch TV. I'm kinda worried that my depression might be starting to come back, I'm not really sure if it is since I've felt a lot happier this past week than I have in a long time, but this complete lack of motivation sure feels like the start of depression. I think I might still sorta be on my happy high from coming out at school. If anyone has any advice on how to get back to being motivated, that would be awesome.

2. Ticklish Fish

You're in college right? what's your goal? graduate? what about mini goals? like if you get an A or B on the upcoming test, you will reward with X?

are you alone a lot of times? have anyone to hang ot with?

There was a while that I felt no motivation, but after getting a 65 and 70 on two different tests, I am now kicking myself lol. It's going to suck for a while studying. But the pride when you get your test back might be amazing...

3. Gen

Gen

I dont have any advice. but I could probably use some too :grin:.

I dont know what it is, but I cant motivate myself to do anything when I plan it. It could be because I have a ton going on......but still I have to change some things. I made a schuedule of things I needed to do this week and didnt follow it at all. For me its just time. I dont have even a fraction of enough these days. (~_~)

4. Jared

Yeah, I'm in college, I definitely want to graduate, I wouldn't be here if I didn't. Right now I just want to finish my English paper and study for my physics midterm, even though it's not for a few weeks. I'm alone most of the time, I'm not a very social person (I'm trying to fix that) and the people I'm close(ish) to aren't around campus a lot, they live at home and I live in the dorms.

5. Ticklish Fish

HAHAHA. I am not a social person too. But then I am a commuter and I can't commit to socialing yet since my sophomore classes are actually challenging me more than freshman classes :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    DUDE. You live in dorm. Go meet people. It might be trial and error. Start with music taste, what people do for fun. What major, etc. at least find people within or about your major. And it's okay if you have friends in different major lol. Go throw yourself out there!

interestingly, I am having one of those lazy-sunday mood. I can't find a fuck to study right now. and I have midterms coming up in 2 weeks. :frowning2:

are you low on inspiration? Stuck on how to write? make an outline. Tackle some physics problem! lol

6. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I sometimes have this issue (like right now, ironically), but I usually can get re-focused by doing a couple things. I study/work on homework for about 15 minutes, then give myself a reward by doing something else such as watching football. Someone already mentioned it, but I think to myself the short and long-term benefits of doing the assignment, too.

I don't have depression, but I have severe issues with procrastination. If I have time to do something, I almost always procrastinate.

7. sunnii

I was like that when I was at college and eventually I droppeed out. (Still left with a qualification though) getting a job helped me (this was me really entering the real world so everything was new for me)

This might sound stupid but have you ever done/considered yoga. That does concentration excercised such as poses where you must focus on remaining balanced as well as meditation where you focus on your breathing. Maybe that will help you mind focus on other thinkgs like school

8. You're not mentally disciplined. It's ok, I am too. Really my only advice is to simply do it. You know it's important, you know it's gotta be done. Just do it.

(sorry! I don't really have any other piece of advice that could work..)

9. Jared

Yeah, I know. The annoying thing is that I used to be so disciplined, then I started being depressed and every since then it's been a struggle, even on my good days/weeks. On the plus side, I wrote one of the papers I needed to and did a hundred calculus problems. So at least I was able to get my act together for a few hours :slight_smile:

10. Mogget

Yes, a lack of motivation is a symptom for depression. If it worries you, I'd recommend talking to a counselor. I don't know if you're in high school or college, but if you're in college your school may offer free or reduced rate counseling through the psych program.

11. curious99

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    One thing I have found helpful for this is doing a daily journal about "why do I think i don't want to do this task" I know it sounds silly, but actually has been helpful. Also have been using the book "The Artist's Way"by Jullia Cameron The excercises in that have realy helped me in dealing with depression and procrastination.

12. AAASAS

I get extremely depress too an unmotivated to do things. Though I never took the college route, I find myself lazy to get up and go to work, or to post items for sale online(I do about 500 sales a month on Ebay).

What I do when this happens to me is take a walk and listen to some happy music. I am heavily into music, and find it can motivate me to do anything. Maybe try and find a genre you like and start exploring some relaxing sounds, I spend hours a day surfing youtube find new artists(Im really into jazz infused instrumentals) and feel amazing after.

Take this from an extremely depressed closet case, I procrastinated highschool till last year, and really wasn't motivated to do anything with my life, but if I throw on some good tunes it changes my mood drastically.

It is also clinically proven.

Honestly, as lame as it sounds, but listening to Bob Marley, Otis Reddington, Nina Simone, or any other happy music can improve your day. When I'm down I throw on "Dock of the Bay" and that shit always cheers me up, you can't be down and unmotivated when you have such positive noises coming at you. It just does something to your brain.

I also live in Canada, and have a reason to be depressed, I lack sunlight in the winter, and suffer from Seasonal Depression, along with regular depression from being gay, and if music can make my day a little bit better, I think it can make anyones day better, my life fucking sucks. YOU'LL NEVER CATCH ME SAYING THAT WHEN IM LISTENING TO MY BEATS.