1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't know what to do!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Olli, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Olli

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hello everyone!
    I have now come out to six friends over the course of a little over two weeks. I feel really liberated, and I'm now taking a break from coming out.
    But today I was thinking about my plans. I don't know whether I should just tell my closest friends and let high school go by without telling everyone, or to be completely out. I am concerned that some ignorant people with bully me and I'm especially worried about that in regard to extra pressure built on top of revising for exams.
    However, I do want to be open and to have a boyfriend and for no one to be in the dark. DILEMMA!!!

Also, in Religious Studies I am very vocal in my support for homosexuality within Christianity. This has led to some people, who don't know that I'm gay, calling me gay and homosexual. This is purely based on my behaviour in class, but it's very awkward because, obviously, I am gay. After class, a classmate said to me "So are you gay? I wanted to know because they all call you gay so...." and I was totally stuck on what to do. I dodged the question for ages - I don't want to lie, but I also don't want this spreading. Eventually after loads of dodging, I told him I wasn't gay. I was really unhappy afterwards - what should I do in this situation?!?

2. enoch

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like you have a pretty good handle on who you are as a person. You should think about what you want, and not care about other people. I personally dont think its terrible if you chose to not to come out to everybody. It depends really.

Do you want to come out because you feel like its your duty? I might be a minority here, but I dont think you have to tell everybody if your not ready for that. Youve come out to people you care about, and that might be enough for now.

On the other hand, by coming out, you might make it easier for the people in your school who are going through the same thing. You might be a trailblazer for somebody out there. Either way, thats your decision. You shouldnt feel pressured to come out because its the thing to do, you have a whole life of coming out to people ahead of you.

You should decide if you would be happier telling people. There is a huge weight that gets lifted when you finally come out. You should figure out if the positives of being honest are worth the negatives youll get in return. Sometimes they are, sometimes they arent. It was worth it to me, but it also was hard.

I didnt come out in highschool because I wasnt ready.So theres no judgment here on what you choose to do.

Highschool is tough, it gets easier to come out afterwards, I promise. Everything is easier after highschool.