1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm not sure how I should feel about my grandmother right not

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by SwordplayBoy, Oct 8, 2012.

1. SwordplayBoy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't know if I should be angry or not. She refuses to accept me being gay, she won't even begin to try to come to terms with it. She thinks there is somebody touching me, or there is somebody convincing me that I'm gay. She always said I was so smart, but now she thinks I can be persuaded into thinking I'm something I'm not. :dry: I always figured she would be one of the first people to accepted it. I was worried about how my grandfather would feel, but at least he's trying to accept it. It also wouldn't be so bad, if she would talk to me directly. She sent in my uncle (her son) to question me instead. Then, when I got to her house, she changed the subject when I tried to talk about it. They didn't even wait to talk behind my back, as soon as I went to the next room, they started asking him a ton of questions. My uncle is cool with it, so I'm not really mad at him, but it would be nice if I could talk directly to her. :bang: I'll just have to sit down with her, and just say "I'm like this because I was born like this." or something to that effect. What do you guys/girls think? I'm not sure if this is just how she's coming to terms with it, but it really sucks. :help:

--------------------------------------:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:-----------------------------------------

It's supposed to be "Now" and not "Not" in the title.

2. J Snow

Well, it takes some time for people to accept things, and there is quite a generation gap involved here. Would your grandmother be willing to attend a PFLAG meeting or have you presented her with any sort of LGBTQ information? If she think that you are gay because someone "touched you" it seems like it would do her some good to look at some facts on homosexuality.

3. Jim1454

^ Ditto. Print her off some PFLAG literature. Send her a link to Prayers for Bobby. Expose her to more LGBT stuff. It could be that she just needs time to adjust. Just like we all took time to understand our orientations and accept them, our families sometimes need time as well.

4. Cassandra

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I don't think that trying to convince her with LGBT media would be a good idea at all. She was mostly rised thinking what men and women should be (and gay is not) so if she is actually trying to accept you, she may be straining herself.

But I do believe that kind of people respond to integrity and self respect. If you go and talk directly to her, with your forehead high, and your voice firm (but not loud) and explain her all (how you accepted yourself), if you don't let her change the subject, she may hear you. SHe may not want to hear anybody else. I think she sent your uncle to talk with you because she's afraid. If that's the case, make her understand that you were also afraid.

Hope this helps you.

5. HatterMad

Geez our grandmothers... Haha

Mine at least accepts that I'm gay, but thinks people touch me BECAUSE of it. :bang:

I don't know...I live with mine, and she's like really great with the guilt tripping stuff, so I hate ever having to say "just stop it" because she will pout adn make shore I know I'm terrible grandson....

I'd think I'd jest explain, nothing happened, I was born this way, I've always been this way....and then sticking to it....but yeah, try talking to her, not through someone else.