1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Here we go again!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Ruby Dragon, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Today I took a day off work. I've been doing that a lot lately for various reasons. Some were because I was sick, others were because I just needed a break.

But my parents disapprove of it, and fear that I may get into trouble and possibly lose my job. But that's besides the point.

My mother and I just had another argument. Well, I didn't contribute much because I didn't want to get into a huge fight. She questioned me on what's going on in my life and I just couldn't give her an answer. She asked where I went on Wednesday night and I told her that I went to a gay club. She freaked out. Told me that I should stop seeing my psychiatrist and that she's going to set up a meeting with the minister so that he can try and get some sense into my head. She again said that the whole gay thing completely goes against everything she stands for and believes in and it doesn't matter what my cousin does, or what her friends do, but I, VelvetBlade, am NOT going to do it. That I am IN this world and don't need to do what the world does.

I'm so tired of trying to defend myself and trying to make them understand it. I guess they're still in their anger stage and it's tearing me apart. I don't feel strong enough to deal with it and I just don't know how long I'll still be able to deal with it. On top of it all, I suffer from Bipolar depression so I have those moods to deal with too, which makes everything so much harder on me. I don't know which way to turn. I want to move out of the house and just get away from it all but finances don't allow it.

Why does my life have to be so darn complicated? She also went off on the things I posted on Facebook. My sister is ashamed of it and nobody seems to support me in it. She says I have other family members on there too, and have to think about that. She also forbids me to go onto gay websites (like this one) anymore. Well, that's not going to stop me. I need the support. If I won't be getting it from her, then where am I supposed to go? I cannot change who I am and live a lie. Why can't they just understand that and support me? I'm broken. Tired of fighting and tired of having to stand up for what I want. But I also don't want to just give up and give in. I'm scared beyond belief and don't know what to do. I don't see this ending very soon and don't think they will ever come to the acceptance stage. I know my parents. The only people so far who have accepted me are my friends and other lesbians (and of course all you wonderful people here). Yet I still feel like I'm going through this alone.

My mom says it's since I've "started with this whole gay idea" that I've been staying off work so often, and been doing things out of character. Purely coincidental but how do I explain that to someone who is unwilling to listen? I just don't know which way to turn anymore. It feels like I'm living in a neverending nightmare :tears:

2. Alexander69

I'm so sorry your mom is acting that way, I assume she is religious? My family is too, that's why I'm don't think I will tell my parents until I have to an I've come to deal with that sadly :frowning2: but have you watched the movie "prayers for bobby" I post this a lot for people but I did it a very touching movie and I think your mom needs to watch this ASAP tell her she has to I know it will be hard getting her to but it may help her to understand, if you haven't seen the movie it is about a teen boy coming to deal with the fact he is gay he at first does not want to be then try's to kill himself but can't because it is a sin to commit suicide singe then tells his brother who tells his mom he is gay and she is over the top religious and wont have it and believes he can have the "gay" taken out of him, eventually he does kill himself and jumps off a high way over pass, but it shows is how it affected his whole family and the mom undersatnds the reason god didnt "save" or "change" bobby was because there was nothing wrong with him and then she Mary Griffith joined PFLAG and I believe she is still in it? This is a real story by the way. Please stay strong please I know how bipolar affects you my grandmother has it and is up then down like that and not many people know that about my family. Please stay strong you are not alone ok :slight_smile: we are all here if you need to talk feel free to talk to me ok
    Here is the link to YouTube For prayers for bobby

YouTube - Prayers for Bobby (must see, especially parents who have gay son)

3. Ruby Dragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the link and the very nice reply. I will have a hard time convincing her to watch anything LGBT-related. I know this because we were once watching a TV programme called Next. It's a dating programme where a couple of people get on a bus to meet one person and if that person decides he/she doesn't like the specific person, he/she says Next and moves on to the following person, etc.

Anyway, they eventually got to the gays. My parents sat through that OK, though I could feel an awkwardness in the atmosphere. But when it got to the lesbians, my mom got up, said something like, "This makes me sick to my stomach" and then left. It was a while after I came out to them, so maybe all those memories returned and it was a bit overwhelming and a bit too real for her.

I understand it's hard for them to digest, but they could at least be a little more sensitive about it and at least try and listen to me when I talk to them. I'm feeling a little better now, but there was no further mention of our "discussion" - if I can call it that - this morning. So we'll see. I just wish for everything to go away and be the way it used to be

But I know I can't change myself. I've tried many times without success and deep inside I was terribly unhappy and always had to wear a mask. So I know for certain I can't be with a man. But I don't think they will listen to me if I try explaining it to them. I actually did explain it in my coming out letter but I think they chose to ignore it

4. Under The Radar

Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey,
    So sorry that you feel your Mum can't accept you because of her religous beliefs. I too have religous friends who lack understanding and insight into the context of the bible's referencves to same sex relations and therefore hold prejudiced views against those who are LGB.

Just wanted to reccomend this video to you - its a talk by a young gay male american, who took two years out from Harvard to study the bible and it's references to homosexuality. Its a very reasoned thorough account, which goes through the traditional 'bible based' views and then discusses why they are wrong, whilst providing the evidence for saying so. Concluyding that actually the bible does not support an anti-gay viewpoint. If your Mum watched it, she may find that some of her views are challenged and even watching it for yourself may provide you with the ability to defend aginst her religous attacks on your sexual orientation.

Can't take any credit for it - just found this posted elsewhere in the forum - but it's really good. Hope that helps.

UTR

The Gay Debate: The Bible and Homosexuality - YouTube

5. Ruby Dragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the link. I managed to watch about 10 minutes of it, then lost internet connection :confused:

At first I didn't want to watch it, because I feel one should never question the Bible. Though it was written by people, it's still the Word of God, and to question the Bible, would be to question God, and that in itself is wrong.

I got a lump in my throat when I got to the part where he mentioned we as gay people should just ignore our feelings when we fall for someone, because it is considered wrong, and that we would then always be alone, for that reason. It made me question why we are this way then. Why is our sexuality "broken" as he stated it?

It's quite a long video though. Don't mean to sound stupid, but isn't there a way to download it and then watch it? It takes up a lot of data :icon_redf

Anyway, I'll find a way to let my parents watch it. It might give them some insight into my feelings, and into what I'm also going through.

6. Ticklish Fish

Do you want to read?
    Here is the transcript

7. Ruby Dragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you Kacho, much appreciated :slight_smile:

8. Ruby Dragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What a way to start the day - yet another homophobic fight with the parents! :bang:

Some of the things said - no, YELLED...

"Since you've gotten this gay idea in your head, have you made any new friends? Has your life changed at all?"

"Since you decided you were gay, you've lost your self discipline to go to work"

"I will never accept it, and you will NOT manipulate me this way (I was crying). No amount of this behaviour will convince me otherwise. I have a God who I have to answer to"

I'm so sick of it. It's taking its toll on me emotionally and physically. I can't take it anymore and I'm feeling suicidal. They don't understand what they're doing to me. They don't understand what I'm going through and they're not willing to listen, so I don't try to talk about it. Whenever we try to discuss it, it's just a load of shouting and badmouthing and I'm sick of it. I really cannot handle it anymore. It's just too much :tears:

9. Ruby Dragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Quick update:

Had a very calm talk with my mom again while we were having a smoke together. For once it didn't result in screaming and a huge fight. I'm sooo thrilled. I explained calmly that I'm not into men and she said maybe I just haven't met the right one yet. But I just stood by my point and again told her I'm not into men.

She then brought up religion and I told her about the many times I've prayed about it and questioned why this had to happen to me, and why I have to go through this. And I assured her that I'm not pushing my religion aside because of my sexuality. This seemed to help a lot. I'm just glad that things are starting to get better now. Not getting overly excited but it's at least a step in the right direction (!)

10. Cassandra

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    :eek:

So THAT'S why she can't accept it. She doesn't feel you're wrong, she feels she failed. She thinks it's her fault you're lesbian. She's affraid to have failed you (and her God of course).

I think it would be good for you to tell her it's not her fault. I know religious people, and I know words will not have effect. But I do believe that if you keep telling her every time the discussion occurs, eventually you may start easing her. No mother wants to feel like failing to her child.

Anyway, keep it up, people can get through difficult times to find the light at the end. That happened to me before (there was a time when me and my family were on poverty and barely survived), and there will always be a hope. Just keep it up. (*hug*):kiss:

11. Ruby Dragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Most probably. I told her that I know it's not what they want to hear but that's how it is. I don't think she's still in denial, I think she may be somewhere inbetween the anger and bargaining stage now ("Maybe you just haven't met the right man yet..." = bargaining)

Great advice. I haven't told her in so many words but think she got the general idea that it's nothing she or my father, or anyone else for that matter did or said that "made" me gay. But me saying it in so many words may be exactly what she needs to hear to ease her mind a little bit. I know it's hard on parents to have a gay child, be it male or female. But I'll stick it out and help them through it. It was just extremely hard on me when we were having those fights. I'm sure it wasn't the last but I'll be a little better prepared next time. I think what helped is that I didn't try to go against anything she said, I just took the tongue-lashing like a (wo)man and only gave a little bit of input.

Another possibly positive thing from our discussion last night was that she actually mentioned the words "you" and "a woman" in the sense of dating in the same sentence. So perhaps she is trying to get used to the idea. Well, I'll be patient with them. I think my mom is taking it the hardest. My dad doesn't talk much, he pretty much bottles up his emotions. So I can't really tell how he feels about the whole situation. But my mom and I are a lot closer anyway. I'm just glad we're making headway.