1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone else feel "between genders"

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Raindrop, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Raindrop

I wish I had a better way to describe how I feel. I just, I feel like I'm both male and female and neither at the same time. Rarely have I had a day when I've only felt like one gender. I have, quite a few times thought I was male ir FtM and then felt very female and I don't know what to think about it.

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You're not the only one.. there are a ton of days that I feel like I am in-between genders.

3. Raindrop

So what would you call it because "gender fluid" isn't a word I use because normally I just feel like I'm everything at once rather than slipping from one to the other.

4. ameliawesome

Absolutely. I also don't know quite how to describe it, usually I describe it as androgyny to keep it simple. I feel like I'd be comfortable as any gender.

5. Raindrop

I definitely believe I'd be okay as anything the problem is I wish that I'd be able to describe what I am. Also, I wish I was something specific. That might just be the writer OCD in me though haha.

6. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah.. labels can be really confusing. Maybe with time you will find a label that fits you best. It takes time though.

7. Raindrop

That's very true. I just feel like the only way to describe it is being stuck between. I'm glad there's someone else who feels the same as I do. Thanks for talking to me about it!

8. Romi

I can completely understand where you're coming from, as can many others. It's a really great feeling to know you're able to be so fluid and nonconforming, but at the same time it can be terribly confusing when you try to pin it down for yourself. And pinning it down for others so you can explain it to them? Ha!

Now...Bigender might be a term you could use, since it refers to being both male and female simultaneously. The only issue there is that you mentioned how sometimes you feel as if you are neither.

Eventually, you will find something that suits you, even if it's a term all your own.

I know I went through a long list of labels, always getting frustrated because nothing ever seemed to fit me like a glove. And the only real reason I bothered with the labels in the first place for the sake of easy explanations for others. I personally hate trying to label myself. After all, I'm just me. And me is awesome!

Bigender was in my list. Eventually though, I settled for genderqueer because it easily encompassed all of my moments concerning gender identity. My gender is pretty queer, so why not.

But yeah, like we've stated, you will eventually find a term for yourself. Until then, enjoy the journey as you figure it out. And if you have any questions, please feel free to stop by my wall. :]

9. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

The word I came up with from reading your description (yes, it's perfectly acceptable to make up words using the appropriate prefixes :slight_smile:) was "polygender", which it turns out is an established word. Here's some info I found:

(source)

It sounds like it might fit the bill. You'll have to decide for yourself, of course.

10. everett

At times I do feel this way as well. Its a bit confusing at times I admit. The other thing though is that there are things I am working to learn about myself so i cannot be sure about this.

But yeah I think I can slightly relate.

11. sunnii

I don't know what I am I don't think I'm pure trans but at times I don't think I'm just an effeminate guy either

12. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes. I alternate between envying females quite a lot to being relatively content with my body as is. I think some kind of genderqueer appearance would be ideal but I present myself as a cis male just to avoid stigma, for now.