1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i keep stopping myself

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by anonomus, Oct 10, 2012.

1. anonomus

anonomus Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    SO I keep coming up with these plans to come out of this damn steel locked closet, but I keep backing out. Does this usually happen or am I some sort of freak lol?/
    please reply

2. Zach12345

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Although this probably isn't the right section( support and advice would be) I know what you are talking about. The first time I tried telling someone the conversation was clearly on that path and when my friend asked if I was gay I gave probably the most awkward silence and said "no" I was mad afterwards I didn't. But maybe you're not ready to come out like subconsciously?

3. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

I was like that alot at first, I've only come out to two people so far and have been trying to tell my parents for a while. I come up with pretend conversation starters and try to prepare myself but I can never get the words out when my parents and I are together in the same room.

I really do think that maybe you aren't ready just yet. This will take time and there really is never a perfect time to come out but I know when you're really ready it will happen for you!

You could even try writing a letter or something to the person you're planning on coming out to?

4. Closet88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is very common. I am 23 and still haven't managed to come out to any close friends or family. Like you, I am always making plans to come out but it never happens. I always picture telling people and occasionally I will even manage to tell people that I have something to tell them, but after those words come out I lose my nerve and have to make a story up about something else. So don't worry, you are not some sort of freak, it's just takes time to come out, as I'm sure a lot people on this site will tell you.

5. babyjax13

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It happens. The entire thing is a process and you won't complete it until you are ready. Sometimes you are less ready than you think you are; just don't let it get you down :slight_smile: And think about why you might be backing out - you may discover that you just need to wait a little while.

6. rainbowbear

rainbowbear Guest

Trust me, it is pretty normal to be scared of coming out, being nervous about it, and thinking out plans, but not going through with them. Whether you're blurting it out or you have an elaborate well thought plan, nerves can get the best of you and so can society. I know it sure as heck isn't as easy as sitting at the dinner table and just saying, "Hey, I'm gay!" so I know how you feel. Everyone goes through these nerves and my advice to you is to figure out how your family and friends will react, what your situation is and if the people around you are accepting. No matter what, it will take time and you need to take a couple deep breaths and relax. In the end, I'm sure things will work out just fine. :slight_smile: