1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Age difference between 30 and 43 year old.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Aldrick, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Aldrick

I've been talking to this guy, and it seems that we have a lot in common. He's interested in me and I'm interested in him. We're thinking about meeting up for lunch or something sometime in the near future.

I feel like that he might be a good "catch" as it were; someone I'd be stupid to let slip through my fingers. That being said, he's outside the dating range I'd usually set for myself. I'm 30 and he's 43 years old. That's a 13 year age difference.

I'm not really sure how I feel about that, but at the same time I don't want to walk away for that reason. It feels so stupidly trivial, especially since intellectually speaking I think we're pretty evenly matched.

I don't know if it's just because I turned 30, and now I feel that I'm "old" - and as a result 40 is "really old." I feel like I'm in a relatively "socially acceptable" age range, but even so...

I guess I just never really pictured myself being the younger guy in a relationship.

I'm not really sure what I'm asking or looking for here. Honest opinions, maybe? Does it sound like a really huge age gap?

2. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think as both parties move up in age the gap is not as much of an issue. 30-43 is a bit different than 20-33 or 40-53. I'd be more making sure you`re in similar stages of life (i.e. if regardless of the actual ages you've both had similar levels of experience/relationships, are both in a similar stage of your career, enjoy similar types of activities at similar intensity levels, etc). Or if you really like him and vice versa the hell with any logical analysis and just enjoy each other's company :wink:.

In the interest of disclosure I'm really really old at 47 ;p.

3. rainbowbear

rainbowbear Guest

If it was an age range like that with a teenager it would be a problem, but since you're older (I mean this as no insult... ;_; honestly... I'm sorry...) it's no big deal. If the two of you really enjoy each others company, have similar tastes, etc. then go for it. Love is love no matter what and it's blind and deaf, contrary to what some others may believe. Go get him and good luck. :slight_smile:

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly, 13 years at your age isn't such a big deal. I know you probably don't want to hear that by any means, but 43 and 30... yes there's a difference, but not nearly as much as you may think at 30 :slight_smile:

I'd say continue exploring and see where it leads. :slight_smile:

5. Aldrick

:lol:

I figured that would be the response. I'm not sure where things will lead, but I think I could potentially be looking at a good friendship if not something more.

I don't really "feel" the age difference (if that makes sense), I just don't think I ever seriously imagined dating someone more than two or three years older than myself. I figured I'd throw it out there and get some feedback, to see if I could wrap my mind around the idea. (Also to make sure I wasn't nuts for contemplating the possibility.)

6. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

age isn't shit, and please, nobody try to argue with me on this. It's worse than people who hate on you cuz you like cock