1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out on Facebook? Good or bad idea?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by NordicSpirit, Oct 11, 2012.

1. NordicSpirit

So in honour of national coming out day I was thinking about coming out on Facebook. First I was thinking about changing my interested in to women but then I started wondering if I should put something on my status and just get it over with. All my family, except my dad, are on my friends list, as are all my friends and acquaintances. I'm out to all my close friends, but I'm not totally out to my family. I'm 99% sure they know, I sort of came out to my mother almost two years ago when I gave her Love, Ellen. She never read it, just left it in the living room. It's been moved about and I'm sure my family have all seen it. I'm 21, I've never had a boyfriend and have never shown any interest in a man, although you could say its the same with women. I know they won't have an issue with it, my family are totally cool about gay people so that's not an issue.

But back to today. I found a photo that says "I'm the rainbow sheep in the family". So I was thinking of posting it on my page saying "happy National Coming Out Day. And just in case you didn't know...."

That would mean I'd be out to everyone except my dad, it just sounds so tempting. I feel like I'll never actually be able to tell them any other way. But I don't want it to be weird. I live with my mother and one of my sisters. They are ALWAYS on Facebook so they would definitely see it. I just don't know what would happen, like would they ignore it, or say something? I don't know.

I'm not totally sure why I'm posting. I'll probably chicken out even if I decide to do it.

2. Bi As A Kite

Remember this: if you put anything up on t'internet, it's akin to putting it on the biggest billboard in every city of the entire world. Only do it if you're absolutely 1000% sure. Good luck!

3. NordicSpirit

Thanks! My profile settings are really private so only my friends and maybe their friends would see it.