1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why did he lose attraction towards me because I told him not to care 4 me (in anger)?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by lostinthought, Oct 11, 2012.

1. lostinthought

So in August, we had a fight in which I asked him not to care for me if he's not going to respect me (in anger). After that, we stopped talking for 7 days after which I gave him a call asking him if he wants to be just friends, because in both our opinion, we were not too compatible and fought a lot.

We were back to being good friends, no fights, but last week, I realized he's seeing someone else now and that killed me. I realized I still like him and can't stay without him. He told me I need to relax and get over it because it just didn't work for 4 months and he can't be attracted to me anymore after me having told him that. I told him that I can't talk to him anymore because this hurts me a lot and I need to heal and get over my feelings for you instead of being good friends. He got very angry and upset first saying both of us can't live without each other, just that he can't love me anymore because of XYZ reasons and I must mature up because we're great as friends.

I didn't listen. I just get too hurt when I see him. I decided to try and be his friend and met him when he messaged me how much he would miss me after I told him I want to stop talking to him and that I should not ignore his messages or he would keep messaging me till I reply and that I need to chill and relax. I have gone NC since 2 days after the meeting telling him how we had started working on our differences and controlling our emotions after the fight and weren't arguing anymore for like a month. He got angry and left.

I don't understand why did he get SOOOOOOO upset with what I told him that he can't even give this a second thought. He says he's much happier now meeting new people who don't point out his mistakes all the time. I really just did it out of emotions but I truly care for him. I really can't stop thinking of him. Not been eating or sleeping properly. What should I do now? I'm very shattered and he knows that. And he's upset too to lose a great friend. I'm sure he would come back to me if he hadn't started meeting new ppl or I had apologized to him immediately. But now, I don't know if this is ever going to be possible since he said "I can never love you now...".

2. Cassandra

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Re: Why did he lose attraction towards me because I told him not to care 4 me (in ang

Mmmm, well, you didn't mean what you've saind in anger, so I don't think he means what he said about not loving you.

I think he got upset because he did love you (hurts when your loved one tells you not to care, believe me, I've been told too). But you two severed your bond. That's a thing too difficult to restore.

I don't think you can do much at this point, if you're not willing to risk everythin you have to get to him again (it's pretty clear you still love him). I think he can love you again, but it will require work and a lot of will from both sides.

If you talk to him, not to argue with him, just talk, don't let your emotions take over your determination. Talk about all you said on your post, and try to convince him you two may still have a future together if both have the resolution.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: Why did he lose attraction towards me because I told him not to care 4 me (in ang

Let him go.

You told him not to care for you if he wasn't going to respect you and, for better or worse, he complied. And, as you said, by both of your opinions, it wasn't going to work because you weren't compatible.

It does no good to play "what-ifs" because, he seems happy. So I think the no contact idea is probably sensible for a month or two or three, by which time, hopefully, your feelings will have mellowed some. Perhaps at that point you can be friends. But I'd work on getting the idea out of your head that you can be in a relationship again.

It also might be worth thinking about the comments he made about "wanting someone who doesn't point out his mistakes all the time." It sounds like perhaps you are overcritical, which is often a sign of your own insecurities or self esteem issues, so it might be a good time to self-reflect and work on those issues.

4. lostinthought

I have gone NC because I'd get immensely hurt to see him with someone else. I've already told him everything but it seems he's attracted to the new fellow now and feels he's more happier there.

---------- Post added 12th Oct 2012 at 02:46 AM ----------

FFS, all of that was just said in anger. And this was new for us. You can call it a late realization of how both of us learnt to control our words and emotions, and it had gone much better after the fight. I may have been overcritical but I've already decided to change that. Right now, I just know one thing, I can't be without him. I truly like him, or maybe even more. And I have gone NC to avoid being deeply hurt seeing him with someone else.

5. Mogget

9 times out of 10, the person expressing this sentiment isn't capable of being in a healthy relationship with the object of their affection. It was certainly true of me.

I believed I couldn't live without my bf and that meant that I relied on him for my sense of well-being and self-worth. My self-esteem was in direct proportion to how much affection he showed me. Which meant I was obsessed with him. And that degree of obsession is not healthy, it made our relationship terribly unbalanced and so, of course it ended.

Whenever I believe that I can't live without someone that is a strong sign that I need to let go of that person, because I cannot truly relate to him. He becomes more than human to me, and I risk losing my sense of self.

6. lostinthought

I disagree. What he has done is an example of the "grass being greener on the other side" not realizing that there IS going to be pain and hurt where true love exists. Ofcourse, there will be fights, arguments, pain, etc. but somewhere down the line, love would conquer, emotions would get in place and I would have held his hand till my last breath because I know what I feel for him. But as I said, the grass ALWAYS seems greener on the other side.

7. Colours

Okay, I understand why you feel this way, I have felt the same for some weeks. BUT just like you say, the grass is always greener on the other side, and that is partially why you want him back: because you can't.

I'm in the same situation as you are, really, and I'm really struggling to be friends. I could say we're fighting more than we used to. Or, I should say: we're fighting now. We never used to. He said it was for the better, well he was wrong.
    He told me it needed time, and I thought it also needed distance, but he didn't want me to go NC and I couldn't do it to him.
    But I keep feeling better, and feeling worse, feeling better, then feeling worse. It's a rollercoaster that has been going on for almost a month and I can't keep doing this much longer. It's going to the point where I don't even want to see him anymore. I'm just generally starting to dislike him as a person. When two weeks ago I was crying because I wanted him back. A part of me still does, but that part is dying.

What I'm trying to say is, it needs time... When my ex and I first broke up I was also under the impression that love would win in the end, and that we could work on it. But at this point, you two have broken up, and you've probably shown him sides of you that he doesn't like, and vice-versa. Give it some time and the 'I want him back' feelings will fade. The hurt/confusion will need more time. Whether you keep distance or not, is up to you. It's often better to, though. Especially since he's happy with someone else. It's selfish of him if he doesn't respect your decision to go NC. Don't let the hurt it will cause him bother you too much, because he has hurt you as well. At least that's what I've been telling myself.

8. BudderMC

You can disagree, but it doesn't make it any less true. That's called "denial".

The funny thing about emotions is that they don't drive our response, they simply heighten what we would do. So yeah, maybe you said something out of anger, but it was still a thought or idea you had in the moment that got magnified by the anger.

Bottom line is, you said it because at some point you thought about it. So remind yourself of all the very rational reasons you decided to call it off back then anyways. It's not like those qualities have magically changed in 4 months. If you were to get back together, you'd probably just have a repeat of what happened sooner rather than later.

Anyways, you're probably feeling jealousy. And/or the discomfort of being single, especially now that your ex is in a relationship. And of course, this ties back into what Mogget said about feeling a need to be with someone.

What can you do now? Well, you can sit and pine over some very, very unrequited love, or you can learn to be comfortable with yourself and move forward. I'd choose the latter, personally.

9. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Doesn't matter. He's moved on, you haven't. And, no offense, but simply "deciding to change that" on the being critical isn't just something you do; it's an ingrained part of one's personality and something that you likely need to spend some time with and work on, because it usually comes from a place of insecurity or low self esteem.

You've gotten some excellent advice from Mogget and Budder. Take it and make use of it. Otherwise, you're likely to become the stalking, obsessed boyfriend that people call the cops on :slight_smile:

10. lostinthought

Thanks a lot for the wonderful words friends.