1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apprehensive about telling my friend I am gay

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Muraba, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Muraba

Muraba Guest

First off, Happy NCOD everyone!

To start things off, my friend and I were having a conversation in school, and the subject came up..

He doesn't know I am gay, but he asked me the question because he was curious. Thing is, I said no. (I only said no, because it was in the classroom. I didn't want anyone to over hear. Also, I don't want to come out just yet to any of my friends, even though there are super suspicions.) Then, we were texting later that day and he said that I could talk to him about anything, which was surprising because he allowed me to vent or open up to him. I asked him if he could keep it secret, our conversations. He said sure, and I said I shall do the same for him. Lastly, he asked me if I wanted to talk to him about "it". I told him not yet.

I was planning to come out today, on National Coming Out Day, but his birthday is tomorrow and I don't want to make it awkward for him. Not sure if I should have a conversation about it today or some time later in the future.

** He is also a proud christian, which was surprising. He is a great friend, and he told me that he would accept me either way. .. So any advice?

#1 Muraba, Oct 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2012
  2. stumble along

just say through a text
    "that thing you asked me about in class, i lied, the real answer is yes"

and be done with it you don't even have to say gay

3. LSunday

From what you tell me about him, he sounds like he'd be very receptive and accepting of you. It sounds like he already knows, but he wants you to tell him when you are comfortable (Which is a very mature and good thing of him to do).

I know coming out is incredibly difficult, but it sounds like you are over thinking it in this case (which is completely normal-I know I did when I was trying to come out). Just know that, in a situation like this, I can say that whatever reaction you're worried about is several magnitudes worse than what is probably likely to happen.

And, if he's asking like he is, I'm pretty sure he's no going to feel awkward on his birthday tomorrow. If he feels comfortable enough with the possibility to ask you openly, then I doubt he's going to change noticeably when you do tell him.

4. FollowtheFreeman

I don't think you would make anything awkward between you two. He sounds like a great friend who would accept you and not make a big deal out of it. I'd say go for it.

5. Muraba

Muraba Guest

I might do it, but I'm really nervous. What helps you guys get over a little anxiety quickly..? ( NO ALCOHOL !! )

6. stumble along

type it out, deep breath listen to your favorite song or your favorite thing to do, send. keep doing what you were doing

7. Muraba

Muraba Guest

I couldn't do it. We ended up talking about a card game instead. Maybe tomorrow I can try again. I just got nervous and chickened out. i feel like a coward.

8. AAASAS

What the fuck is National Coming out Day?

--- googled

Well, you don't need a holiday to tell your friend. But I'd wait till after his Birthday too.

How big is this thing anyways, I've honestly never heard of it.