1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Place To Find A Therapist

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by LightningRider, Oct 12, 2012.

1. LightningRider

If you go to a therapist, how did you find out about them?

I'm thinking of going to my doctors tomorrow to see if they have anything that might help.

2. Luke Matt

Actually, I'm thinking this would be good for me as well. I'm not suicidal or anything, but I want someone to talk to.

3. LightningRider

Yeah that's exactly why I need to go.
    I just need someone who I can talk to about ... EVERYTHING :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. RainDreamer

5. alwayshope11

I have a therapist....just google for ones in your area...you will find profiles that say what they deal with, etc. ! Good luck!

6. LightningRider

While this site can offer me basically everything, I think it would be beneficial if I went to someone I could speak to in person. :slight_smile:

Basically, I'll have here and a therapist :grin:

7. davidroberts

you can certainly find out wich therapist is a good one in your area :slight_smile: its really helpful :slight_smile: but a litle advice .. may be the best therapist is inside you. i jus finished my gp in a medicak school and was posted for 2 weeks in psychiatry too. i found that most of the answers lie in the persons mind itself. docs are jus charging money to get it out :wink: dats and art too but still once you understand yourself u ll find a best friend and a best therapist in yourself. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: best of luck

8. J Snow

I saw a therapist (and am currently in group therapy) on campus through my school's student counseling center. If you're school offers something similar I'd strongly recommend taking advantage of it. For me it was 100% free, they were highly qualified, and I could even get my letter of approval for HRT from my therapist. Of course I realize not everyone has the opportunity to attend a university that has such a program.

If your doctor is knowledgeable on transgender issues (and that is what you are looking for a therapist for help with) I would recommend asking your doctor.

9. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No offense, but I don't know any medical professional who would make this claim, as the value of objectivity is something taught very early on in medical school.

Working with a mental health professional is not the same as solving your own problems, in large part because the job of a competent therapist is to help you see and understand the filters you've created that color your thinking. Additionally, a deep understanding of the sorts of issues people face, as well as theoretical understanding of cognition and how we process thoughts and feelings brings a level of insight that one could never get on one's own. There's a saying, "The lawyer who represents himself has a fool for a client" and the same thing would apply about therapy.

Also, I wouldn't choose a therapist out of a phone book, website listing, or just Googling. You probably want someone who has an understanding of LGBT issues, and, depending on what you're looking to get out of therapy, other skill sets as well. Overall, though, it's worth talking to 3 or 4 therapists by phone, getting a feel for how they communicate, and whether you feel comfortable with them.

Technique and approach are important, and if you describe more about what you're seeking to get out of therapy, I might be able to give you more concrete suggestions about what to look for in a therapist. But the single most important thing is that you feel like this is someone you could learn to feel safe with, and comfortable opening up to.