1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice from my Uncle

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by LSunday, Oct 12, 2012.

1. LSunday

When I was really struggling with coming out to my family, I talked with my uncle (A very old family friend who lives with his partner) for some advice. The advice he gave me was incredibly helpful for me, and I can never thank him enough for that.

But, now I'm out, and I want to share some of the advice to all the other young gay people out there. These are selections from an incredibly helpful letter (I snipped out parts that were more personal and specific to me). And, for context, "Gay Aunties" is a term of endearment my uncles have for themselves.

I was lucky to have such an amazing support group to help me through the process, and I feel like it's my turn to share with other people in need. I hope all of you at EC can take something from this as well.

2. BudderMC

Surprisingly true words, and I think ones that actually accurately express how I feel about that topic. Sexuality is such a big deal, but not at all a big deal at the same time. It's complicated. But it's really easy to take one extreme or the other (unimportant or all-consuming) with that detail.

Anyways, thanks for sharing. And tell your uncles they're absolute champs, courtesy of some guy over the Internet they'll never meet :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Though do you happen to know the book that excerpt came from? It sounds like a decent read.

3. LSunday

I wish, but I do not.