1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mildly insane school idea? Could use some legit advice.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MusicIsLife, Oct 13, 2012.

1. MusicIsLife

To get an idea where I'm from, here's how post-secondary works in my province: you go to High School until grade 11, then you go to Cegep (a really long french acronym for college) or you can go to prep school for a year then go to University. Cegep you can go for a 2 year pre-uni course, or a professional 3-year course.

When I graduated my Math was extremely weak, and I did not take any of the science courses unless I absolutely needed them to graduate.

But now, my mom has been sort of talking nonstop about how I really should go into the Animal Health program at the Cegep downtown. And though I do not have the required prerequisites, the idea has sort of festered in my brain. I'm really, really good with animals, and animal things seem to always happen around me (finding an orphaned baby vole, finding a stunned sparrow in the parking lot of my work, my rabbits having babies when I didnt know one was female, etc) and my mom thinks i'd be great at it. I don't disagree, but the math stuff is really intimidating.

So the plan is: go to The Adult Education centre nearby for one semester and get the sciences and maths I'm missing, and also take Physics. Take it slow, with a tutor for extra support so that I can get an 85% or higher in each class, while also taking continuing education courses at the nearby cegep (english, french, humanities) then apply for the fall semester in Animal Health if i still want to. If I don't, I feel that with the maths and sciences, I'll have a lot more opportunities to get into any program pretty much.

Thoughts?

2. BudderMC

That doesn't seem insane at all, so long as:

1) You think you're okay to handle the workload (I don't know how long you've been out of school)
    2) You can afford to go through with this

On the contrary, I think pursuing further education is probably a great idea, given it's a viable option for your current situation. Is the 85% just a personal goal, or is that a requirement for the program?

3. MusicIsLife

The program itself is very competitive, and while they only require that you pass, given my past track record (It seem that if you don't show up for class, you fail. Huh.) it would probably make them more inclined to take me on if my marks are higher.

I;ve been in and out of school for 6 years, but I really have nothing to show for it. Which is why I'm looking for something I'm passionate about and doable.

4. BudderMC

Well, so long as you think you're interested in it, go for it. At least from my personal experience that's what I've found is the hardest in keeping up with work: a lack of interest. Even if it's tough, so long as you want to do it, you'll find a way to make it happen. Good luck! :slight_smile: