1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tips For Coming Out at School

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by channel48, Oct 13, 2012.

1. channel48

Hi I new to EC and I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to come at school. I'be told my friends already and they're keeping it a secret. I'm in 8th grade and starting high school next year. I know still a little young but I'm not too young to know who I am. Thanks :slight_smile:

2. Greendalehumans

Are you looking for ways to come out? Or how to deal with it afterwards?

I'm totally in the closet, and can't come out anywhere without everywhere knowing. So for me it's either all or nothing :/

I don't think you're too old (but I'm not much older) i think it's great that you know who you are and want to tell people. :grin: good luck!

3. channel48

I'm looking for both any advice will help. I can't wear a rainbow to school cause my school has uniforms. We can't wear red or blue at all. They're suppose to be gang colors. My school doesn't have a LGBTQ club but the high school does. Telling people would be hard. I had to text my best friend even though I was sitting right next to her. Maybe I should tell my friends that I don't want it to be secret anymore. Im just sick of girls asking my if a like that guy or that guy it makes me uncomfortable. I'm sorry about your situation I'm in the same spot with my family my homophobic family it will get better for both of us :slight_smile:

4. FishMan27

Well, I've come out to quite a few friends and have been contemplating coming out at school. I think some of the best advice I've been given/found online is simply to pretend like everyone knows and not hide it anymore. If someone asks you about guys, you could either bluntly say, "No, I'm gay," or something along those lines, or say something that at least suggests it. It's kind of like going with the philosophy that you shouldn't have to come out officially just because you're gay. You just inform people that you're interested in the same gender.

Now, I know this probably sounds a lot easier in theory than in practice, but it seems like a good way to go about it. It'll likely be harder with people you know and have hidden it from before, but if you meet new people, just be honest with them. If they can't accept you for who you are, they aren't worthy of your friendship.

Good luck on your coming out journey!

5. channel48

Thanks I think I will do that. I just have to find a way to say it. Yeah telling my parents was easier in theory too. I might see if the school will let me wear a rainbow bracelete that might spark some questions. Thanks for the advice and luck. :slight_smile: